+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of previously unused student visa on future visa application.

lu1kaifeng

Jan 27, 2024
Hello! I applied to MSc Computer Science @ University of Northern British Columbia and was accepted. I applied for a visa, however, I came to the gradual realization that I am not ready to leave my family and move to the remote city of Prince George, had a few depressive episodes, and since I was and still enrolled in my local university's master's program, I decided to postpone my plan of leaving the country and wait until my graduation. I subsequently sent a webform citing my depression and change of mind to cancel my visa application, but the next day my application OPRed. I sent in my passport and got the visa. The visa remains unused. My question is, how will this impact my future student visa application?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello! I applied to MSc Computer Science @ University of Northern British Columbia and was accepted. I applied for a visa, however, I came to the gradual realization that I am not ready to leave my family and move to the remote city of Prince George, had a few depressive episodes, and since I was and still enrolled in my local university's master's program, I decided to postpone my plan of leaving the country and wait until my graduation. I subsequently sent a webform citing my depression and change of mind to cancel my visa application, but the next day my application OPRed. I sent in my passport and got the visa. The visa remains unused. My question is, how will this impact my future student visa application?
Are you still interested in studying in Canada keep in mind possible depression you cited. No one will tell how will it impact your future application, what you have right now is trv, not study permit. Are you considering pursuing Phd after completing your Masters in local Uni?

lu1kaifeng

Jan 27, 2024
Yes, I am interested in studying in Canada. It will be another MSc. The depression is not really a clinical diagnosis or anything, I just said in the webform that I am depressed at the prospect. I passed the physical for my visa with no problem.

I am actually pretty worried about my framing though, I am afraid the webform may seem to suggest that I have clinical depression when in actuality it is just situational.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, I am interested in studying in Canada. It will be another MSc. The depression is not really a clinical diagnosis or anything, I just said in the webform that I am depressed at the prospect. I passed the physical for my visa with no problem.
Issue will be why taking another Masters while you recent graduate from Masters Degree

lu1kaifeng

Jan 27, 2024
Issue will be why taking another Masters while you recent graduate from Masters Degree
My local university, Henan University, is actually not all that good, low in ranking. I think it will be easy to prove I am a bona fide student. Besides, Haven't Canada stopped denying people visa out of possibility of legal immigration?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My local university, Henan University, is actually not all that good, low in ranking. I think it will be easy to prove I am a bona fide student. Besides, Haven't Canada stopped denying people visa out of possibility of legal immigration?
If You think it will be easy, then good luck with that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did you get the visa? If you did not attend the university the university was supposed to inform IRCC that you were a “no show” and your study permit should have been cancelled. Many schools were not doing this but new policies should change this. The fact that you indicated that you were not going to attend due to depression and days later received your PPR and you still sent in your passport for stamping does not look great. If you had informed IRCC that you had deferred you admission and then still went ahead and got your passport stamped that would be a different story but it looks questionable to say that you have no intention of attending the masters program but you still went ahead and got your passport stamped after receiving PPR.

Reactions: Simba112

lu1kaifeng

Jan 27, 2024
When did you get the visa? If you did not attend the university the university was supposed to inform IRCC that you were a “no show” and your study permit should have been cancelled. Many schools were not doing this but new policies should change this. The fact that you indicated that you were not going to attend due to depression and days later received your PPR and you still sent in your passport for stamping does not look great. If you had informed IRCC that you had deferred you admission and then still went ahead and got your passport stamped that would be a different story but it looks questionable to say that you have no intention of attending the masters program but you still went ahead and got your passport stamped after receiving PPR.
Why would IRCC need to cancel my study permit or needing to be notified by the university when I have never entered Canada, and subsequently haven't been formally issued my study permit. I am not planning to enter Canada until I am accepted by another Canadian institution in 25Fall. Surely, CBSA documents all entry/exit record or the lack thereof for IRCC.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Poster doesnt have Study Permit yet, he/she has Visa placed on his passport. Only time when DLI make regulatory report is after Study Permit is issued, not while applicant is still oversea

Reactions: canuck78