+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of criminal offense on my citizenship application

heart_of_skies

Star Member
Sep 30, 2006
Yes my charges has been withdrawn and I have to get the confirmation documents from my lawyer but I am done with everything now.

As far as your work permit is concern, what do you mean by diverted? if you charges were consider as summary conviction you are good and hopefully you will not have any problem. Let me know if you have more questions.

Or

Apr 2, 2014
Hi there can u pls help me out . I freaking out. I was at the bay caught shoplifting under. Police gave me a blue thing to ho to court and get fingerprints taken.,i am do stupid dont know y i did it. First time i do this kind of thing, no criminal charges. I am permanent resident, work in hospital. Pls help me what do i do. Policeman dodnt ask me much. It was the thr security only. Do i need a lawyer. I have applied for my citizrnship application already. What happens can u tell me. Cant sleep

hukka

Oct 6, 2014
hi there,its been year of your post.SO i want to know do u still have criminal record and did u apply for your citizenship? Please guide me i am facing the same problem.
Thanks

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or said:
Hi there can u pls help me out . I freaking out. I was at the bay caught shoplifting under. Police gave me a blue thing to ho to court and get fingerprints taken.,i am do stupid dont know y i did it. First time i do this kind of thing, no criminal charges. I am permanent resident, work in hospital. Pls help me what do i do. Policeman dodnt ask me much. It was the thr security only. Do i need a lawyer. I have applied for my citizrnship application already. What happens can u tell me. Cant sleep
relax, everybody makes mistake just DON'T do it again. I am very sure they will withdraw your case and give you warning. Stay away from area that will prevent you from stealing. Apply for court disclosure and show it to the CIC agent during test interview

hukka

Oct 6, 2014
Hi there, can u Pl help me with this situation.i want to know do I hv to appoint my lawyer or duty councilor will be ok as well.n thanks in advance.and did u apply for ur citizenship n hv u try to cross USA border?

sono sky

Nov 13, 2014
hay,i am looking for some help, actually i been to bay it was closing time.I sawap the price ticket and bought a boxer when i was about to turn security gaurd came to me and said i have to come with him.He asked me about the ticket changing and i said yes i did but there is reason behind this ,that both items were axactly same only the size different so it was closing time i thought nobody will be happy to help so i did this.but he wasnt interested to listen and understand the situation.He harrassed and threated me two hours, that its in his hand to make my satatus criminal and he called the police.police asked few question to make sure about my details and then said to me i can go home.From that day i am not abel to sleep i am so restless..... :-[ and now i receieved a letter from bay store ,s lawer that i have to pay $595 for the damages.now i am too anious .so plssssss tell me what i should to do now should i pay that money or i should to go court for that pls some one give me solid advised especially some lawer.i will be really thankfull.

Milen

Oct 15, 2014
Hi everyone, I really need help to anyone who knows the situation I am facing right now. I am in a foreign visa and my spouse sponsored me and got my AOR last August 2014. This November me and my husband got argument and misunderstanding, not intended to hit by slapping my husband and he called the police and the police charge me and assault which is my husband is really regretting to call a police but was all too late. My husband wanted to drop the case but the prosecutor office told him he can't do anything with that. We really want to fix everything and be together again, we really do love each other so much and I do understand him that he couldn't think clear that time that's why he called a police officer. We are not together right now as the they didn't allow us to be together or communication or see each other. It is really in pain so much without each other. They got my finger prints and they gave me papers, including telling me that I should go to the court by January. We already want to be together and asking for help how my husband can do to drop the case because he really wanted. Same time, is this situation will affect the application we had and not yet on the process.

I really need help please, anyone who knows and been through with the same situation. Thank you in advance to anyone who can reply to this message.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Quite unfortunate! Anyway, you may want to speak to a lawyer before you do anything. Very important, so that you understand your options. Sounds like the cops didn't think your intention was to steal, otherwise they would have charged you I think.

sono sky said:
hay,i am looking for some help, actually i been to bay it was closing time.I sawap the price ticket and bought a boxer when i was about to turn security gaurd came to me and said i have to come with him.He asked me about the ticket changing and i said yes i did but there is reason behind this ,that both items were axactly same only the size different so it was closing time i thought nobody will be happy to help so i did this.but he wasnt interested to listen and understand the situation.He harrassed and threated me two hours, that its in his hand to make my satatus criminal and he called the police.police asked few question to make sure about my details and then said to me i can go home.From that day i am not abel to sleep i am so restless..... :-[ and now i receieved a letter from bay store ,s lawer that i have to pay $595 for the damages.now i am too anious .so plssssss tell me what i should to do now should i pay that money or i should to go court for that pls some one give me solid advised especially some lawer.i will be really thankfull.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
That is quite unfortunate. In Canada, it is against the law to hit anyone whether you are male or female.

With domestic violence, once the cops are called there is nothing you can do to "drop the case". Your husband will receive a subpoena(summons) to appear in court and testify against you. If he does not show up or refuses to testify a warrant of arrest may be issued against him.

If you are convicted, you are in big trouble. The Conservative gov't passed a "tough on crime" Bill about 2 yrs ago I think - any temporary residents(student, worker, visitor) or permanent residents convicted of a crime that carries a sentence of at least 6 months, may be deported. No more room to appeal.

A conviction may render you criminally inadmissible to Canada and your sponsorship can not continue until 5 yrs after completion your sentence. This could end up being a very expensive lesson for you. Be sure to get a lawyer who is knowledgeable about criminal law AND immigration law - this way, he or she may be able to strike a deal with the Crown such that there no negative consequences for you as far as the immigration process. No guarantee the Crown will agree. Goodluck!

Milen said:
Hi everyone, I really need help to anyone who knows the situation I am facing right now. I am in a foreign visa and my spouse sponsored me and got my AOR last August 2014. This November me and my husband got argument and misunderstanding, not intended to hit by slapping my husband and he called the police and the police charge me and assault which is my husband is really regretting to call a police but was all too late. My husband wanted to drop the case but the prosecutor office told him he can't do anything with that. We really want to fix everything and be together again, we really do love each other so much and I do understand him that he couldn't think clear that time that's why he called a police officer. We are not together right now as the they didn't allow us to be together or communication or see each other. It is really in pain so much without each other. They got my finger prints and they gave me papers, including telling me that I should go to the court by January. We already want to be together and asking for help how my husband can do to drop the case because he really wanted. Same time, is this situation will affect the application we had and not yet on the process.

I really need help please, anyone who knows and been through with the same situation. Thank you in advance to anyone who can reply to this message.

crazylove

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-12-2010
sono sky said:
Well police didn't charge you or even gave you a ticket, so there was nothing registered against you with in the law. However, the bay is trying to screw you over by fining you $595. I think you should contact the bay and tell them you can't make that payment and you weren't charged with theft by the police. And wait for there response and than take it from there and don't lose sleep over something so little. Just be smart next time and don't listen to the Devil and do the right thing. Good luck

Dev55

Jan 26, 2015
All,

Did you guys came out this mess

I think someone can advise me here - as I am into trouble now

I applied for PR under CEC in June 2014, got my medical request in Jan 2015 and then after 2 days got an email from CIC to submit updated background declaration form (IMM 5669) - Bearing original signature and no gaps in addresses and activities (as I left 8 months gap in activity and couple of months gap in address)

ISSUE - I am currently alleged with a criminal charge, my Criminal lawyer says he will get the case dropped or get me absolute discharge

Advise needed: Should I mark NO for --> been convicted of, or are you currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offense, or subject of any criminal proceedings in any other country?
Also advise if any other section is applicable on me on IMM 5669

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dev55 said:
Advise needed: Should I mark NO for --> been convicted of, or are you currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offense, or subject of any criminal proceedings in any other country?
Also advise if any other section is applicable on me on IMM 5669
You need to say YES since you are currently charged with the crime. The only way you can say NO is if your lawyer gets the charges completely dismissed/dropped before you submit the form.

adamkia

Mar 23, 2015
heart_of_skies said:
Yes my charges has been withdrawn and I have to get the confirmation documents from my lawyer but I am done with everything now.

As far as your work permit is concern, what do you mean by diverted? if you charges were consider as summary conviction you are good and hopefully you will not have any problem. Let me know if you have more questions.
By any chance, have you any update on your citizenship application?