+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of criminal offense on my citizenship application

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1 .My question is can I still apply for citizenship in Canada?
2. If yes. Should I disclose it ?

The answer to this question is easy. Unless the offence occurred and was totally resolved more than four years ago, YES, it needs to be disclosed. (Whether an applicant might easily get away with not disclosing it, that is a separate question, which I'll leave for others to discuss.) In particular:
-- If the charge is in any way still pending, then YES, by checking yes in the box for question 16.3. "An offence outside Canada?"​
-- If this is a charge that resulted in a conviction within the last four years, likewise YES, by checking yes in the box for question 16.8., similarly for an offence outside Canada.​

Note: for offences outside Canada, the application requires applicants to disclose ANY offence, not just offences that constitute a prohibition; so even if the applicant is confident, or even actually knows it will not constitute a prohibition, the application requires its disclosure. That is, even if the charge is one for which the PR is fully confident it will not affect eligibility for citizenship, and in particular that it is not a charge which constitutes a prohibition (for most of the criminal related prohibitions, see Section 22 in the Citizenship Act, which is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#docCont ), even then the applicant is asked to disclose it.

The answer to this question is not easy. And there are collateral questions, which likewise are not easy to answer.

My impression is that this offence would be, or at least could be construed to be, an "indictable" offence under Canadian law, and thus constitute a prohibition. Which is to say that if the charge is still in any way pending you are not eligible for a grant of citizenship, or if there is a conviction, you will not be eligible for citizenship for a period of four years following the date of the conviction.

I am not at all sure of this. You can apply, disclose the charge, and IRCC will determine if it constitutes a prohibition; worst case (as long as you disclose it and do not make misrepresentations about this) is the application is denied. Before deciding whether to apply you can consult with experienced lawyers to get their opinion (noting it will be their opinion, which is usually but unfortunately not always reliable).

Being prohibited from a grant of citizenship for four years based on this probably seems rather harsh. And, indeed, IRCC might treat this more like a provincial driving infraction than recognizing it to be an indictable offence constituting a four year prohibition. I DO NOT KNOW how IRCC approaches these kinds of charges.

The CAUTION, in contrast, is that not only might this charge be "indictable," under the Canadian Criminal Code, if it is considered to be the equivalent of the offence prescribed by Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code (see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-44.html#docCont ), that is also an offence which if prosecuted by indictment is a conviction for which the individual is "liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years," as prescribed in Section 320.19(5) of the Criminal Code. That meets the definition of "serious criminality" rendering a PR inadmissible, subject to having PR status terminated.

The latter seems rather unlikely. And my guess (emphasis on *guess*) is that it is unlikely. But I do not really know the scope of CBSA and IRCC screening of PRs for these kinds of criminal charges, or the particulars in how certain foreign charges are categorized relative to Canadian crimes. But it demands paying some attention. Approaching the situation with some caution.

Long way around to suggesting it is probably a good idea to see at least an immigration lawyer.

Longer Explanation (or why it would be a good idea to at least consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer):

Assuming you are asking whether you are eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship despite the charge in the U.S., that is a complicated question which I cannot answer for sure. In particular, I do not know how this or that driving related offence in other countries, such as the U.S., fits into Canada's "Offences Relating to Conveyances."

The key is whether or not IRCC will consider this charge to be an indictable offence in Canada.

As I noted, my impression is the charge would be an "indictable" offence under Canadian law, since on its face it seems there is a significant prospect this charge falls under Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code (see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-44.html#docCont ), which is what is called a "hybrid offence" in Canada, meaning it can be prosecuted either as an offence punishable by indictment or on summary conviction.

Here's the rub: Under Canadian immigration law for purposes of what constitutes "serious criminality" (for which a PR can be determined to be inadmissible, leading to loss of PR status), "an offence that may be prosecuted either summarily or by way of indictment is deemed to be an indictable offence, even if it has been prosecuted summarily." This is section 36(3)(a) IRPA, see here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-6.html#docCont

There are scores and scores of what in the particular case, based on the facts and circumstances of the case, are fairly minor criminal transgressions, "offences," defined as hybrid offences in Canadian criminal law, but not only typically prosecuted in Canada as a summary offence but usually resulting in minimal penalties, such as a modest fine and no jail, often not even any probation. Some driving offences can be and might typically be prosecuted provincially, and it is my impression this may be true even if a charge under the federal Criminal Code could be laid.

Remarkably, some of these offences are not only punishable by indictment, but can result in imprisonment for up to ten years. And the offence defined by Section 320.18(1) is such an offence. That meets the definition of "serious criminality" constituting grounds for finding a PR inadmissible and subject to loss of PR status and deportation . . . even if the facts of the case itself indicate a minor offence and the actual outcome of the criminal case is a summary conviction and no more than a modest fine. Yeah, severe, potentially remarkably harsh.

It seems, emphasis on how things appear, however, that such action against PRs for these kinds of offences is rarely if hardly ever seen. So the practical probabilities suggest no need to worry. Probably. Again, I do not know for sure.

For Reference Regarding Prohibitions and Ineligibility for a Grant of Citizenship:

For purposes of applying for citizenship, in particular, the question is whether the charge constitutes a prohibition. Again, this is mostly set out in Section 22 in the Citizenship Act, which again is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#docCont

The pertinent subsections are 22(1)(b.1) and 22(3).

22(1)(b.1) is essentially about charges outside Canada which are in any way still pending; if a pending charge "would constitute an indictable offence" in Canada, it constitutes a prohibition.​
22(3) is about convictions for charges outside Canada; if the conviction is for a charge that "would constitute an indictable offence" in Canada, it constitutes a prohibition.​

What matters is whether the offence is considered to be an indictable offence if it occurred in Canada. Its classification in another jurisdiction, like the U.S., is mostly not relevant. In particular, the fact that it is a misdemeanor in the state where this happened, and regardless of the minimal penalty that can be imposed, does not determine what the equivalent charge is in Canada. The corresponding Canadian criminal offence is determined by the particular elements of the crime. What this means, unfortunately, is that what is classified as a minor offense in the U.S. is often nonetheless an indictable offence under Canadian law, recognizing that under Canadian law despite the crime being an indictable offence, absent aggravating circumstances it is typically prosecuted summarily resulting in a rather minimal penalty.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1. ?
2. Absolutely!

I see that you've posted this same question in multiple threads, but since you've already received such a detailed reply here...I will just add my opinion/question. Could this possibly also impact your existing PR status?

Have you already been convicted of this, or only charged? If you have been convicted...I wonder is you could actually be issued a Removal Order when you try to re-enter Canada.

It seems that if a CBSA officer at PIL (Primary Inspection) sees that you have been charged, the officer may ask you to explain. If the officer sends you to Secondary Inspection, that officer may create an inadmissibility report (if this turns out to be an indictable offense) and then seek a third officer (Minster's delagate) to review what has been written. If that third officer issues a Removal Order, you would have a very real problem. I assume you would be allowed to enter and then appeal the removal, since you couldn't be `removed' unless you are first allowed to `enter', but it would not be a good day, to say the least.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This post is in regards to implications for PR status, the potential for the referenced offence to meet the definition of serious criminality making a PR inadmissible and how that might be treated during a Port-of-Entry examination.

1. ?
2. Absolutely!

I see that you've posted this same question in multiple threads, but since you've already received such a detailed reply here...I will just add my opinion/question. Could this possibly also impact your existing PR status?

Have you already been convicted of this, or only charged? If you have been convicted...I wonder is you could actually be issued a Removal Order when you try to re-enter Canada.

It seems that if a CBSA officer at PIL (Primary Inspection) sees that you have been charged, the officer may ask you to explain. If the officer sends you to Secondary Inspection, that officer may create an inadmissibility report (if this turns out to be an indictable offense) and then seek a third officer (Minster's delagate) to review what has been written. If that third officer issues a Removal Order, you would have a very real problem. I assume you would be allowed to enter and then appeal the removal, since you couldn't be `removed' unless you are first allowed to `enter', but it would not be a good day, to say the least.
Effect of Being Inadmissible:

First, note a big difference between an "inadmissible" Foreign National versus an "inadmissible" PR; a FN who meets the definition of inadmissible will ordinarily (though not necessarily) be denied entry into Canada at a PoE. In this context, "inadmissible" means what it sounds like: the individual is subject to being denied entry into Canada (and generally will be denied entry, and denied a grant of status that would otherwise allow them to enter or remain in Canada).

In contrast, a PR who meets the definition of "inadmissible" but who is not subject to an enforceable Removal Order (meaning they are still a PR even if a Removal Order has been issued, but is not "in force," such as where the time to appeal has not elapsed or where an appeal is pending) will be allowed entry into Canada at a PoE, and indeed must be allowed entry (noting, however, some may be subject to arrest and detention).

Of course once a PR is subject to an enforceable Removal Order, that means the individual is actually a FN, not a PR.

The main thing is that as long as the individual has PR status, they are statutorily entitled to entry into Canada.

Reference note (see Section 46(1) IRPA): PR status is terminated for inadmissibility ONLY when either
-- a PR Travel Document application has been denied for failure to comply with the RO (of course a PR TD application can be, and will be denied, if it determined the individual does not have PR status, which is not a decision terminating PR status but a decision recognizing the individual is not a PR), or​
-- a Removal Order against the PR "comes into force" (that is, is enforceable)​

Leading to the procedure for adjudicating a PR's admissibility . . .

Procedure For Determining PR's Admissibility:

Unlike inadmissibility based on a failure to comply with the RO, for which a Minister's Delegate can review the 44(1) Report and determine whether or not to issue a Removal/Departure Order, proceedings to adjudicate a PR's admissibility on other grounds requires a hearing before the Immigration Division. Thus, for example, while border officials (CBSA) can prepare a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility based on grounds other than a breach of the RO, such as based on serious criminality or misrepresentation, the Report in that case is not reviewed by a Minister's Delegate (remember, the MD is in practice just a different CBSA officer) but is referred to the Immigration Division, which if it decides to proceed on the Report will schedule a hearing.

Note: not all Immigration Division decisions finding a PR inadmissible for serious criminality are entitled to an appeal to the IAD.

Reference Note: These observations are derived from multiple sources, including official sources such as published IAD and Federal Court decisions, and the applicable statutory provisions in IRPA, as well as unofficial but authoritative and generally reliable information published by IRCC (or its predecessor CIC) such as the Enforcement Manuals (see ENF 3, ENF 4, ENF 5, ENF 6, and ENF 23, among others, linked here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals.html
Note that, unfortunately, there is not a lot of anecdotal reporting in the forum about PRs losing status for inadmissibility based on serious criminality, which does limit our ability to put the known information, that is the law, regulations, rules, and the procedures as well (but somewhat less completely), into a practical context. This comes with the caveat that information in respective sources needs to be compared and contrasted, and critically considered as well as carefully analyzed; some sources, like the Enforcement Manuals, include out-of-date information; other sources, like published IAD decisions, can include errors. So it is important to cross-check these sources to verify the information.

Note Regarding Determining Equivalent Canadian Offence:

Whether a crime in another country, like the U.S., is grounds for determining a Canadian PR is inadmissible for serious inadmissibility depends on what (if any) the equivalent Canadian offence is.

This is largely about criminal law even though it arises and is mostly an issue in immigration law. So there are two separate aspects:
-- identifying what is (if any) the equivalent offence in Canadian law for the crime a FN or PR was convicted of in another country (criminal law analysis)​
-- determining if the Canadian equivalent offence, if done in Canada, constitutes serious criminality (application of immigration law)​

For many crimes this is fairly simple. For a significant number of other crimes, however, it is not at all simple, as there are no charts, no readily found official sources having previously determined the Canadian equivalent, no credible anecdotal report, and unlike crimes such as robbery, certain drug offences, homicide, most kinds of fraud, most types of theft, and so on, for which it is relatively easy to map the elements of the offence as defined by U.S. law (or that of another country) to the elements of a Canadian counterpart, comparing crimes in different national jurisdictions can and does get complicated, especially since things like available defenses must be considered.

I proffered a more or less likely suspect for the U.S. charge at issue here: Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code. But I also cautioned I do not know this is the Canadian equivalent, and neither do I know much about how IRCC approaches deciding what the Canadian equivalent is.

I can quickly cite some examples illustrating the nature and complexity of the "equivalency" analysis, in particular illustrating how specific it can be relative to particular crimes. So, for reference, noting that these are cited and linked here for their discussion of determining the Canadian equivalent for purposes of what constitutes criminality, for immigration admissibility determinations, based on crimes in other countries (only one, the Beltran case, is about a PR):
Manning v Canada, 2022 CanLII 39877, https://canlii.ca/t/jp7x2
Wang v. Canada, 2021 FC 1196, https://canlii.ca/t/jkclz
Beltran v. Canada, 2016 FC 1143, https://canlii.ca/t/gv5qq
Bellevue v. Canada, 2018 FC 926, https://canlii.ca/t/hz7jx
Bellevue v. Canada, 2020 FC 560, https://canlii.ca/t/j8d9b
Abdulqayum v. Canada, 2022 FC 862, https://canlii.ca/t/jpttq

Implications for OP:

While I am not sure, as I commented in my earlier post, it does not seem much if at all likely the driving offence involved here will trigger inadmissibility proceedings against the OP. It is not something we have seen reported in the forum and not something I have seen in either IAD decisions (noting though that I do not research PR inadmissibility for serious criminal all that much, largely because we rarely see questions about it) or Federal Court cases. But if Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code is the equivalent of the U.S. charge, it could be the basis for a finding of inadmissibility for serious criminality . . . so again, seeing a lawyer is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Tahar19

Aug 28, 2018
This post is in regards to implications for PR status, the potential for the referenced offence to meet the definition of serious criminality making a PR inadmissible and how that might be treated during a Port-of-Entry examination.

Effect of Being Inadmissible:

First, note a big difference between an "inadmissible" Foreign National versus an "inadmissible" PR; a FN who meets the definition of inadmissible will ordinarily (though not necessarily) be denied entry into Canada at a PoE. In this context, "inadmissible" means what it sounds like: the individual is subject to being denied entry into Canada (and generally will be denied entry, and denied a grant of status that would otherwise allow them to enter or remain in Canada).

In contrast, a PR who meets the definition of "inadmissible" but who is not subject to an enforceable Removal Order (meaning they are still a PR even if a Removal Order has been issued, but is not "in force," such as where the time to appeal has not elapsed or where an appeal is pending) will be allowed entry into Canada at a PoE, and indeed must be allowed entry (noting, however, some may be subject to arrest and detention).

Of course once a PR is subject to an enforceable Removal Order, that means the individual is actually a FN, not a PR.

The main thing is that as long as the individual has PR status, they are statutorily entitled to entry into Canada.

Reference note (see Section 46(1) IRPA): PR status is terminated for inadmissibility ONLY when either
-- a PR Travel Document application has been denied for failure to comply with the RO (of course a PR TD application can be, and will be denied, if it determined the individual does not have PR status, which is not a decision terminating PR status but a decision recognizing the individual is not a PR), or​
-- a Removal Order against the PR "comes into force" (that is, is enforceable)​

Leading to the procedure for adjudicating a PR's admissibility . . .

Procedure For Determining PR's Admissibility:

Unlike inadmissibility based on a failure to comply with the RO, for which a Minister's Delegate can review the 44(1) Report and determine whether or not to issue a Removal/Departure Order, proceedings to adjudicate a PR's admissibility on other grounds requires a hearing before the Immigration Division. Thus, for example, while border officials (CBSA) can prepare a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility based on grounds other than a breach of the RO, such as based on serious criminality or misrepresentation, the Report in that case is not reviewed by a Minister's Delegate (remember, the MD is in practice just a different CBSA officer) but is referred to the Immigration Division, which if it decides to proceed on the Report will schedule a hearing.

Note: not all Immigration Division decisions finding a PR inadmissible for serious criminality are entitled to an appeal to the IAD.

Reference Note: These observations are derived from multiple sources, including official sources such as published IAD and Federal Court decisions, and the applicable statutory provisions in IRPA, as well as unofficial but authoritative and generally reliable information published by IRCC (or its predecessor CIC) such as the Enforcement Manuals (see ENF 3, ENF 4, ENF 5, ENF 6, and ENF 23, among others, linked here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals.html
Note that, unfortunately, there is not a lot of anecdotal reporting in the forum about PRs losing status for inadmissibility based on serious criminality, which does limit our ability to put the known information, that is the law, regulations, rules, and the procedures as well (but somewhat less completely), into a practical context. This comes with the caveat that information in respective sources needs to be compared and contrasted, and critically considered as well as carefully analyzed; some sources, like the Enforcement Manuals, include out-of-date information; other sources, like published IAD decisions, can include errors. So it is important to cross-check these sources to verify the information.

Note Regarding Determining Equivalent Canadian Offence:

Whether a crime in another country, like the U.S., is grounds for determining a Canadian PR is inadmissible for serious inadmissibility depends on what (if any) the equivalent Canadian offence is.

This is largely about criminal law even though it arises and is mostly an issue in immigration law. So there are two separate aspects:
-- identifying what is (if any) the equivalent offence in Canadian law for the crime a FN or PR was convicted of in another country (criminal law analysis)​
-- determining if the Canadian equivalent offence, if done in Canada, constitutes serious criminality (application of immigration law)​

For many crimes this is fairly simple. For a significant number of other crimes, however, it is not at all simple, as there are no charts, no readily found official sources having previously determined the Canadian equivalent, no credible anecdotal report, and unlike crimes such as robbery, certain drug offences, homicide, most kinds of fraud, most types of theft, and so on, for which it is relatively easy to map the elements of the offence as defined by U.S. law (or that of another country) to the elements of a Canadian counterpart, comparing crimes in different national jurisdictions can and does get complicated, especially since things like available defenses must be considered.

I proffered a more or less likely suspect for the U.S. charge at issue here: Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code. But I also cautioned I do not know this is the Canadian equivalent, and neither do I know much about how IRCC approaches deciding what the Canadian equivalent is.

I can quickly cite some examples illustrating the nature and complexity of the "equivalency" analysis, in particular illustrating how specific it can be relative to particular crimes. So, for reference, noting that these are cited and linked here for their discussion of determining the Canadian equivalent for purposes of what constitutes criminality, for immigration admissibility determinations, based on crimes in other countries (only one, the Beltran case, is about a PR):
Manning v Canada, 2022 CanLII 39877, https://canlii.ca/t/jp7x2
Wang v. Canada, 2021 FC 1196, https://canlii.ca/t/jkclz
Beltran v. Canada, 2016 FC 1143, https://canlii.ca/t/gv5qq
Bellevue v. Canada, 2018 FC 926, https://canlii.ca/t/hz7jx
Bellevue v. Canada, 2020 FC 560, https://canlii.ca/t/j8d9b
Abdulqayum v. Canada, 2022 FC 862, https://canlii.ca/t/jpttq

Implications for OP:

While I am not sure, as I commented in my earlier post, it does not seem much if at all likely the driving offence involved here will trigger inadmissibility proceedings against the OP. It is not something we have seen reported in the forum and not something I have seen in either IAD decisions (noting though that I do not research PR inadmissibility for serious criminal all that much, largely because we rarely see questions about it) or Federal Court cases. But if Section 320.18(1) in the Canadian Criminal Code is the equivalent of the U.S. charge, it could be the basis for a finding of inadmissibility for serious criminality . . . so again, seeing a lawyer is probably a good idea.
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I also like to mention I was never fingerprinted or booked . I was just found guilty