+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of criminal offense on citizenship application - - - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

mr_saviour

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Actually we (myself, my wife and kids) have completed the stay requirements in Canada, however there was one unfortunate incidence that took place last year. My wife along with kids was shopping and due to some confusion along with kids was held and charged by the security in a store for shoplifing (15-20 dollars), which was completely unintentional.

Although the case is over now and was settled by paying a charity of C$ 100, but still the records and finger prints exist. Now we have applied for the citizenship and have been asked to submit the finger prints.

My Qs is that does this record disqualifies you for applying for citizenship, as per any of the following clauses, and if this is an indictable crime:

You cannot become a citizen if you:
•have been convicted of an indictable (criminal) offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act in the three years before you applied;
•are currently charged with an indictable offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act;

This is very urgent, and anyone having idea on such a case could kindly help. I would really appreciate that.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://info.lawyershop.ca/criminal/index.php/archives/2008/01/02/what-is-shoplifting/ it is not an indictable offense unless the amount in question was more than $5000. Under that amount, it is a summary offense.

mr_saviour

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Thank you Leon for providing your feedback. Does it mean, unless it is an indictable crime there should be no impact on citizenship application, even if the finger prints are matched. Would it have any impact on the overall processing time? Appreciate your kind response and feedback.

Also would you advise me to go and see some lawer in this regard?

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is what it says in what you quoted. It only lists indictable offenses as being a problem. If you want to ask a lawyer for your peace of mind, you should do that.

heart_of_skies

Star Member
Sep 30, 2006
Hi Mr. Saviour,

I am facing the similar type of situation like yours but mine was for $850. Now they are offering my lawyer to withdrawing the both charges on me but I have to do the 150 hours of community work. On 27 September 2013 I will be eligible for applying for citizenship so could you please tell me when you applied, everything went smooth? Please share you experience.

Here is the url of my post if you want to read the detail.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/impact-of-criminal-offense-on-my-citizenship-application-t163165.0.html