+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration with disabled child

Dalem44

Dec 3, 2018
Hi,
My wife and I are looking at options for immigrating to Canada but we have a child with Cerebral Palsy. I have looked through the forums and found info that the applications will be rejected, but all of these posts are old and there have been some changes by the Canadian government since.
See article below

https://globalnews.ca/news/4150860/disability-immigration-law-a-blessing-says-father-autistic-child/

Based on the above article, is there any way we could check on our eligibility before going through the application process?
Currently our daughter has no medical expenses and hasn't had any for a few years now.

Thanks in advance

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Attention, it is not that easy.

In case of autism it mainly affect how that person is perceiving world, albeit he / she is usually not affected by being physically unable to do some activities. There are also different degrees of autism, so results in some cases can be good.

In your case, you do point out to the illness that does not affect intellect itself, however depending on severity it can affect physical abilities a lot (including problems with visions). It will very much depend how much is your child affected.
But be aware, that unlike special education support (in case of autism), things like physiotherapy or requirement of special assistant, is something that cannot be deferred. And yes it will be evaluated against Canadian costs.

So if for example your child need constant assistance because of its movement disability (for example it is bound to a wheelchair), count that you will be most likely rejected.

Dalem44

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately she cannot walk or talk and is wheelchair bound. My wife however takes full time care of her and the condition does not deteriorate. She also does not need any medication or other treatment

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately she cannot walk or talk and is wheelchair bound. My wife however takes full time care of her and the condition does not deteriorate. She also does not need any medication or other treatment
Thing is that they will consider that case as if the child needs a full time assistant and they will assess it as such. You can try it for sure, but rejection is almost certain there. The yearly costs that you are facing are way way too high (just a salary for personal assistant will be way over the roof).

Nazia Faizan

Dec 11, 2019
Hi, I m mother of CP child of 15 years name Filza. I want my child admitted in a school where they give her phisyo therapy and occupational therapy both. I have heard all good remarks about your care for these kind of children. I have been searching for school for many years but results. So I m posting this can I find a school for her and immigration for us to move from Pakistan to Canada for better future of my CP child and I have a son too who is normal. Waiting for your positive reply

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, I m mother of CP child of 15 years name Filza. I want my child admitted in a school where they give her phisyo therapy and occupational therapy both. I have heard all good remarks about your care for these kind of children. I have been searching for school for many years but results. So I m posting this can I find a school for her and immigration for us to move from Pakistan to Canada for better future of my CP child and I have a son too who is normal. Waiting for your positive reply
I'm sorry but a positive response is almost impossible under these circumstances.
It's quite likely that your child's disability will make them ineligible for immigration to Canada.
On what basis were you thinking of immigrating?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So she can improve and my child study their in school
This isn't a basis for immigration.

You would need to qualify to immigrate based on your work experience, level of education, funds available to establish your family in Canada, level of English/French proficiency, age, and other factors.

As said above, your daughter's condition may unfortunately make it impossible for you to immigrate.

Nabeel37

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-April-2020
AOR Received.
05-November-2020
Hello
I disagree with some of respondents on this post. New medical policy is not only for Autism or ADHD etc. It's for overall disable dependent children without discrimination based on disability type. Policy is very clear with almost $20517 per year threshold and almost $102,585 for 5 years threshold. Further they provided list of costs to be included for estimation of medical burden and also list of costs excluded from the estimation. You can easily calculate the medical burden of your child.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I disagree with some of respondents on this post. New medical policy is not only for Autism or ADHD etc. It's for overall disable dependent children without discrimination based on disability type. Policy is very clear with almost $20517 per year threshold and almost $102,585 for 5 years threshold. Further they provided list of costs to be included for estimation of medical burden and also list of costs excluded from the estimation. You can easily calculate the medical burden of your child.
Not that easy if you have a complex child who needs medical devices that they grow out of and that are expensive, OT/PT, medication, many different types of doctors, etc.
Would add that in many provinces there are long waits for things like Autism programs and many parents are going through their savings either paying for extra therapy or for the amount of therapy they can afford. There are very little care after age 21 for disabled adults so either parents have to become 24/7 caregivers or the child must be in full time care. The system has to look at the cost of full-time care if the child is no longer manageable at home. Canada has a very big problem with disabled adults who have no where to live and their aging parents can’t care for them.

Reactions: Svet81

Nabeel37

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-April-2020
AOR Received.
05-November-2020
Not that easy if you have a complex child who needs medical devices that they grow out of and that are expensive, OT/PT, medication, many different types of doctors, etc.
Would add that in many provinces there are long waits for things like Autism programs and many parents are going through their savings either paying for extra therapy or for the amount of therapy they can afford. There are very little care after age 21 for disabled adults so either parents have to become 24/7 caregivers or the child must be in full time care. The system has to look at the cost of full-time care if the child is no longer manageable at home. Canada has a very big problem with disabled adults who have no where to live and their aging parents can’t care for them.
Its easy Bro,
Current policy is very much clear devices that you are talking about are exempted from the calculation of financial burden. you can check the lists of inclusion and exclusion of medical and social services in calculation of excess over demand burden for any disabled dependent child. check last two headings of the following web link of policy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excessive-demand-june-2018.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its easy Bro,
Current policy is very much clear devices that you are talking about are exempted from the calculation of financial burden. you can check the lists of inclusion and exclusion of medical and social services in calculation of excess over demand burden for any disabled dependent child. check last two headings of the following web link of policy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excessive-demand-june-2018.html

These can all apply to autism and PT and OT for rehab is not counted but for basic life skills it can count especially is it is not in a school setting. Parents also may be expecting their children to receive autism treatment right away or have as much autism treatment as they need. In reality it can often take years to wait your turn to qualify. Parents need to realize that they often need to try to finance any amount of therapy they can. Even when they receive services they may need to pay to supplement the therapy they receive. After 21 there is almost no services and some children end up in some form of residential service. That also factors into calculation especially if children applying are not young children. It is important that parents are prepared. Many are expecting a fully funded autism program and that may be one of the reasons they are moving to Canada. The reality is that many parents of autistic children have liquidated all their savings, maybe sold their homes, worked 2 jobs, had to stop working because their child’s behaviour is too much to handle and they are called to pick up their child so often. Some boards are trying to mainstream children with autism and with no education aids.

Section 1: Services for which costs will be included to determine if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria and conditions under the public policy
Health services:
  • Physician services
  • Nursing services
  • laboratory and diagnostic services
  • pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical services
  • hospital services
  • chemotherapy and radiotherapy
  • dialysis
  • psychiatric services
  • supplies related to these services
Social services:
  • Social services closely related to health services:
    • Social services that are provided by a health professional:
      • home care (by a nurse, physiotherapist, respiratory therapist, etc.),
      • palliative care,
      • psychological counseling and
      • the provision of devices related to those services.
    • Medical aids, appliances, and prostheses.
  • Social services that provide constant supervision and care for those who are not able to integrate into society
    • Residential facilities (long-term care, substance abuse services, etc.)
    • Day facilities providing constant supervision (respite care, etc.)

Nabeel37

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-April-2020
AOR Received.
05-November-2020
Section 1: Services for which costs will be included to determine if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria and conditions under the public policy
Health services:
  • Physician services
  • Nursing services
  • laboratory and diagnostic services
  • pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical services
  • hospital services
  • chemotherapy and radiotherapy
  • dialysis
  • psychiatric services
  • supplies related to these services
Social services:
  • Social services closely related to health services:
    • Social services that are provided by a health professional:
      • home care (by a nurse, physiotherapist, respiratory therapist, etc.),
      • palliative care,
      • psychological counseling and
      • the provision of devices related to those services.
    • Medical aids, appliances, and prostheses.
  • Social services that provide constant supervision and care for those who are not able to integrate into society
    • Residential facilities (long-term care, substance abuse services, etc.)
    • Day facilities providing constant supervision (respite care, etc.)
Why are you assuming all these costs by yourself bellow is the case study read para 12 for estimated and expected costs for a CP child. Further consider most of the stated costs are exempted and rest of the costs you have to consider for maximum 5 years only.
http://visalawcanada.blogspot.com/2012/12/child-with-cerebral-palsy-requires.html?m=1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why are you assuming all these costs by yourself bellow is the case study read para 12 for estimated and expected costs for a CP child. Further consider most of the stated costs are exempted and rest of the costs you have to consider for maximum 5 years only.
http://visalawcanada.blogspot.com/2012/12/child-with-cerebral-palsy-requires.html?m=1
Every child’s needs are very different from mild to severe. I was just pointing out that you can’t disregard things like medical devices that tend to be very expensive and require frequent replacement during a period when a child grows. Even if you eliminate special schooling which was the big change your child may not actually receive these special services. For budget reasons many of these children are being mainstreamed with or without educational assistants.

On top of qualifying it is important for parents to actually look to see if their child will receive the services they are expecting. Many have been told that they will get access to free healthcare, specialized education, etc. for their child. The reality is that it is partially free with a lot of wait times. If you don’t have extended health benefits for your family or don’t have a pretty good income your child will certainly not get have access to all the equipment they need. Luckily people do pass down their used equipment to people in need. Some have unrealistic expectation of what they may receive in Canada. One mother was expecting a nurse to come after school to care for their child while they worked as they had been paying for in their country. The reality in Canada is that a parent would be the one meeting the child after school and doing most of the nursing care. Their only option would be to pay for a private nurse and that would be significantly more than they were paying relative to their income in their home country.

Reactions: Svet81