+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration to Quebec, Canadian boyfriend...

Syd27

May 14, 2017
Hi,

I was wondering if you could advise me on the best way to immigrate to Montreal, to join my Canadian boyfriend. He wants to sponsor me. However, we haven't lived together yet and we are not sure about the best approach.

Please help...

Thanks
S

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was wondering if you could advise me on the best way to immigrate to Montreal, to join my Canadian boyfriend. He wants to sponsor me. However, we haven't lived together yet and we are not sure about the best approach. Can I apply via the spouse sponsorship program or is the fast track program the quickest option? Can I live/work in Quebec via the fast track program? I've only started to learn French and I don't have a job offer.
Hi

For your boyfriend to sponsor you, you must either get married or live together for a year to become common-law.

There is no fast track. You would need to look at Quebec's specific requirements to see if you qualify. As far as I know (this is not an immigration program that I have looked into very much), you must have a job offer, already be working or have studied in Quebec to qualify. If you do qualify, you need to apply to Quebec for a CSQ. After receiving the CSQ, you would then need to apply to IRCC for PR.

You haven't stated your nationality. Depending on where you are from, you can look into the IEC program. Otherwise, if you want to work before becoming a PR, you would need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. It is difficult to find such an employer, as the process has very specific requirements, costs $1000 and takes several months.

Syd27

May 14, 2017
Hi

For your boyfriend to sponsor you, you must either get married or live together for a year to become common-law.

There is no fast track. You would need to look at Quebec's specific requirements to see if you qualify. As far as I know (this is not an immigration program that I have looked into very much), you must have a job offer, already be working or have studied in Quebec to qualify. If you do qualify, you need to apply to Quebec for a CSQ. After receiving the CSQ, you would then need to apply to IRCC for PR.

You haven't stated your nationality. Depending on where you are from, you can look into the IEC program. Otherwise, if you want to work before becoming a PR, you would need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. It is difficult to find such an employer, as the process has very specific requirements, costs $1000 and takes several months.

Hi,
Thank you for your quick response. I've already looked into the CSQ. Yes, I would either need a job offer or French level B2.

Thanks
S

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
Thank you for your quick response. I've already looked into the CSQ. I did the preliminary evaluation for immigration and I do not meet the criteria at the moment, as I would either need a job offer (which is very difficult) or French level B2 (I'm only a beginner). I can not apply via IEC as I am over 35. However, I do qualify for the federal express entry program. Could I apply via the federal express entry program with a point of entry i.e. Toronto and move to Montreal at some point later? Is this possible?
A PR may move wherever they want to in Canada. That said, as you don't have any intention to actually reside outside of Quebec, which is a basic requirement of non-Quebec economic immigration streams, it would be misrepresentation.

Syd27

May 14, 2017
A PR may move wherever they want to in Canada. That said, as you don't have any intention to actually reside outside of Quebec, which is a basic requirement of non-Quebec economic immigration streams, it would be misrepresentation.