+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyer Fee

darthsidious

May 12, 2014
A lawyer has just offered me service for filling the federal skilled worker program application for CAD 2500.

Is it considered expensive?

Is it all in, or there will be a lot of extra charges (I'm not familiar with lawyer fees)?

GHMatLast

Jan 27, 2014
It's not expensive, but let me talk about my case
a) Lawyer is not required
b) Most of times, you will be working with a paralegal or office admin who will be between you and the lawyer and their knowledge of legal intricacies are limited and they will parrot whatever they have heard
c) If you are working with a big firm, like I did my case took 5 years and I have dealt with 5-8 folks and all of them are para legals and recently I got my PR and till today I haven't spoken to Lawyer

I had couple of friends who applied along with me, and they received their PR's in 2 years and they didn't take any legal help.

But finally the decision is yours !!!

the fee looks ok

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honestly CAD 2,500 seems very cheap. As another poster replied, for that little I am guessing you will not get personalized attention from a lawyer, rather some assistant who is just a paperwork filler and can't answer any question except the most basic ones. Flat fees are always suspect because most good lawyers charge by the hour.

You don't need a lawyer to apply for the FSW program. However, for peace of mind I wanted a lawyer to advise me, review my documents and tell me about backup plans in case FSW doesn't work. I also had a personal situation I wanted to know how to deal with on the application. I had several detailed phone conversations where we went through every question on every document thoroughly. Maybe you don't want to do that but I wanted to. By the time the process is over, I think I will have spent about CAD 20,000 on my lawyer.

If you have any worries how to deal with a particular situation on the application (such as you are missing important documents, you have previously been arrested or denied entry to Canada, anything that might raise a red flag), it's a good idea in my opinion to ask an actual lawyer (not assistant or paralegal) for advice.