+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration/Covid and connecting flights

helloitismep

Jul 8, 2021
Hi everyone!

My study permit application just got approved yesterday and I got my Correspondence Letter.
I am now getting a bit stressed out because my journey will will be from the Paris airport to Calgary and from Calgary to Vancouver.
I heard that I will need to present my Correspondence Letter, passport and documents to the immigration officer, but I have no idea if this will be in Calgary or only at Vancouver as it is my final destination. Does anyone know if I have to go through immigration in-between my connecting flights or is this only in Vancouver? I also heard that some people need to get their passport stamped before entering Canada. I am a Belgian citizen and I have not been asked by the IRCC to send my passport to them to stamp it. Is this a problem or do I not need to worry about this?

Another question I have is about the Covid-19 testing. I have been fully vaccinated for 14+ days already with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and will be arriving in Canada in the beginning of September. This means that I can skip the 14-day quarantine and that I also do not need a test on day 8. I need to do a pre-arrival test, but I also have to do a Covid-19 test once I arrive in Canada. Because I have a connecting flight, would this be in Calgary or only in Vancouver as it is my final destination? I have around 2 hours between my connected flights so would this be enough if I had to go through both immigration to get my study permit and the Covid-19 test if these were both in Calgary?

You can probably imagine that I am getting very nervous about this, so I hope someone knows the answer to my questions.

Thank you very much for your time!

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
I can answer some questions, you should get your study permit issued at Calgary. Your covid test will be at the same location and your 1st few days of quarantine (non-government quarantine hotel) will be Calgary while you wait for the covid test result. This means you cannot take your connecting flight to Vancouver on same day.

helloitismep

Jul 8, 2021
Hi, thanks for clearing that up. On this government website, I can find that if I'm fully vaccinated (which I am), I do not need to stay in a quarantine hotel and I can just travel to my final destination after doing the test, without knowing the result yet. This is to be found under 'Arrival testing', so I think I might be okay then? (link below)
It'll probably still be a bit tight in terms of timing, but technically I think I should be able to get the study permit and the test figured out in-between my connection flight.

COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi, thanks for clearing that up. On this government website, I can find that if I'm fully vaccinated (which I am), I do not need to stay in a quarantine hotel and I can just travel to my final destination after doing the test, without knowing the result yet. This is to be found under 'Arrival testing', so I think I might be okay then? (link below)
It'll probably still be a bit tight in terms of timing, but technically I think I should be able to get the study permit and the test figured out in-between my connection flight.

COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca
You are right - you don't have to quarantine in Calgary. You will quarantine in VC until your result comes out. If negative, you can stop isolation.
The 2 hour layover might not be enough but that should not be a problem. Contact the airline that is responsible for your onward leg to VC, they will accommodate your trip and reschedule you if possible.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Alright, thank you for the answer!
Now I can finally stop worrying that much :)
It's crazy stressful I know! I'm planning my trip next month with my entire family - I swear I have sprouted a whole new crop of grey hair in the last week :D .

Last edited by a moderator: