+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration as a medical doctor with special child

sodg

Aug 17, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first question in this forum. Thanks in advance for all the answers.
I'm medical doctor in Turkey for 14 years. I have son with disability. We (My wife and i) plan to emigrate to Canada to have a better lifestyle for our son. I learned the process of medical doctor exam. The question I want to ask is, Does being a disabled person in the family have a negative effect on the migration process? If I go to Canada as a doctor or researcher, will my son benefit from the health and education system?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first question in this forum. Thanks in advance for all the answers.
I'm medical doctor in Turkey for 14 years. I have son with disability. We (My wife and i) plan to emigrate to Canada to have a better lifestyle for our son. I learned the process of medical doctor exam. The question I want to ask is, Does being a disabled person in the family have a negative effect on the migration process? If I go to Canada as a doctor or researcher, will my son benefit from the health and education system?
Can you provide more information about your son's condition?

It really depends on the severity of your son's condition. If the condition is one that will be deemed to create a burden on the Canadian health care system, then it may not be possible for your family to come here.

You should also research what it will take to work as a doctor in Canada. You won't be able to work with your existing credentials. You'll need to go through a certification process that typically takes a number of years. It's not an easy process - and no guarantee you'll be able to complete it and ever work as a doctor in Canada.

Last edited:

sodg

Aug 17, 2019
Can you provide more information about your son's condition?

It really depends on the severity of your son's condition. If the condition is one that will be deemed to create a burden on the Canadian health care system, then it may not be possible for your family to come here.

You should also research what it will take to work as a doctor in Canada. You won't be able to work with your existing credentials. You'll need to go through a certification process that typically takes a number of years. It's not an easy process - and no guarantee you'll be able to complete it and ever work as a doctor in Canada.
Thank you for answer. My son's health is a genetic problem (chromosomal disease). He has physical and mental disability and epilepsy. I looked into the possibilities you were talking about being a medical doctor. I'm also aware of the length of time and possible failure. Although I would like to continue my career as a medical doctor, I am not putting sharp limits on myself. I can work in another branch of my field. Obviously my priority is to be able to plan right for my son. I think Canada as a country is a very right choice. I follow that it is a successful country in both social, political and health. I'd appreciate it if I could get your opinion on this frame. Again, thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you for answer. My son's health is a genetic problem (chromosomal disease). He has physical and mental disability and epilepsy. I looked into the possibilities you were talking about being a medical doctor. I'm also aware of the length of time and possible failure. Although I would like to continue my career as a medical doctor, I am not putting sharp limits on myself. I can work in another branch of my field. Obviously my priority is to be able to plan right for my son. I think Canada as a country is a very right choice. I follow that it is a successful country in both social, political and health. I'd appreciate it if I could get your opinion on this frame. Again, thank you.
Your child's condition will be formally assessed to see if the likely cost to Canada would be over the threshold limit. If it is, then the application will probably be denied. The assessment will be based on the assumption that Canada will be responsible for the costs, not you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/refusals-inadmissibility/excessive-demand-on-health-social-services.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/excessive-demand.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would second the fact the unless you are a family doctor, pathologist or psychiatrist your chances of being getting licensed as a doctor in Canada are very low. You would have to pass 2 licensing exams and redo your residency in most cases but there are n residency spots available. Most foreign trained physicians end up returning to school to start another career. It is hard to tell whether you will be approved due to your child's needs. You also may be expecting too much out of the Canadian medical system. In general parents do the majority of the caring. If you don't have employment with benefits you will run into a lot of obstacles because the governement doesn't cover many things. Do you have any family in Canada? If not you will likely never get a break. There are a few charities that provide respite care but that may mean 1 day or weekend a year. With a disabled child it becomes very hard for both parents to work full-time unless you have the ability to pay for specialized care after and/or before school. After 21 there are no programs so you become the full-time care giver for ypur child. There is cureently a 25+ year wait for group homes which is another reason why having family nearby will eventually be important. Would really encourage you to speak to someone living in Canada with a child with similar needs and ask them about the true reality. Would talk to someone with private insurance and someone without and speak to someone in the province you are targetting. People think that we have medicare but it is like 70% medicare. Personally I would not leave Turkey without a job in Canada or very strong job prospects. Also a job with benefits with a good salary knowing that I will likely have to pay for some things out of pocket.