+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Application Delay and Alternative Options

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
I have a pending PRRA application with IRCC, which has been awaiting a decision after hearing for over four months. The delay has taken a toll on my mental well-being, and I'm considering withdrawing my application due to the uncertainty and potential consequences. I'm also interested in exploring the possibility of filing an H&C application and would appreciate your professional advice on eligibility criteria and the process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a pending PRRA application with IRCC, which has been awaiting a decision after hearing for over four months. The delay has taken a toll on my mental well-being, and I'm considering withdrawing my application due to the uncertainty and potential consequences. I'm also interested in exploring the possibility of filing an H&C application and would appreciate your professional advice on eligibility criteria and the process.
When was your refugee application refused? Do you have minor children?

I don't think you should withdraw PRRA since I assume that would start the removal process. However it may be possible to file the H&C application at the same time. Note that H&C applications take a few years to proces.

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
I appreciate your feedback. No, I don't have any family members in Canada. My children are back in my home country, and they have been facing difficulties due to my absence. That's why I have made the decision to withdraw my application. I arrived in Canada in 2019 and applied for refugee status here. However, since I had previously claimed refugee status in the USA before coming to Canada, I was excluded from the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) hearing and offered the Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) process instead. The PRRA hearing took place on February 23, 2023, and the hearing officer informed me that I would receive a decision in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I have not received any updates regarding the decision as of today.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate your feedback. No, I don't have any family members in Canada. My children are back in my home country, and they have been facing difficulties due to my absence. That's why I have made the decision to withdraw my application. I arrived in Canada in 2019 and applied for refugee status here. However, since I had previously claimed refugee status in the USA before coming to Canada, I was excluded from the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) hearing and offered the Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) process instead. The PRRA hearing took place on February 23, 2023, and the hearing officer informed me that I would receive a decision in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I have not received any updates regarding the decision as of today.
So are you planning on withdrawing the PRRA and leaving Canada?

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
Yes, I believe this is the only option to prioritize my mental health and well-being. Currently, my children are unable to attend school as we are living in an area where schools are far away, and it has been a struggle for my family. I understand that this decision may have negative consequences, but I feel like I have no other choice. I am trying my best to do what I can with the resources I have.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I believe this is the only option to prioritize my mental health and well-being. Currently, my children are unable to attend school as we are living in an area where schools are far away, and it has been a struggle for my family. I understand that this decision may have negative consequences, but I feel like I have no other choice. I am trying my best to do what I can with the resources I have.
Understood and sorry about your situation.

In that case I think you can certainly withdraw PRRA, file an H&C application, and then leave Canada. I'm not sure what the chances will be of the H&C application being approved in this case.

Do you qualify to apply for PR under Express Entry or one of the PNP programs? You can certainly apply for PR thorugh one of these programs once you are outside of Canada. Assuming you qualify, this would be a much more sure path vs. H&C.

Hope this helps. Please also wait for others to comment.

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
Unfortunately, I do not qualify for any of these programs. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and support

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hopefully, someone else can also share their experience if they have faced similar issues.
This is an extremely rare situation. The chances of being approved for H&C decrease dramatically if you leave Canada although it is unclear what your chances would be to have H&C approved if you remained in Canada. Even if you were approved for H&C you are looking at quite a while until you could be reunited with your family. If your priority is family reunification as soon as possible then leaving Canada is your best option.

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
It has been almost 8 years since I left my family, and it has been quite challenging to survive on my own. Unfortunately, my eldest child is unable to attend school as the previous school only goes up to 8th grade, and the nearest high school is too far away. This is why I have made the decision to withdraw my application and start this new venture. However, I am unsure of the consequences of withdrawing my application. Will I be deported, or will it be a regular process?

Minsterfum

Star Member
Feb 9, 2023
This is an extremely rare situation. The chances of being approved for H&C decrease dramatically if you leave Canada although it is unclear what your chances would be to have H&C approved if you remained in Canada. Even if you were approved for H&C you are looking at quite a while until you could be reunited with your family. If your priority is family reunification as soon as possible then leaving Canada is your best option.
Hey canuck how is it going? Long time no see??
Canuck I’m one student of Andrew Tate that I attend a podcast regularly to increase my income for $500K annually

hervet

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
It has been almost 8 years since I left my family, and it has been quite challenging to survive on my own. Unfortunately, my eldest child is unable to attend school as the previous school only goes up to 8th grade, and the nearest high school is too far away. This is why I have made the decision to withdraw my application and start this new venture. However, I am unsure of the consequences of withdrawing my application. Will I be deported, or will it be a regular process?
If you have waited for that long I wouldn’t recommend you to quit or withdraw your application. The refugee application sucks sometimes and they don’t have any idea how families are being separated… but while waiting pray God and let him influence things. I don’t know if you believe in God but if you do I believe he will help you out, I don’t know you but I promise I will pray for you and few months you will be get a feedback.

Reactions: Chimurenga 4

Sweetburfi

Aug 31, 2022
Thank you for your encouraging words. I truly believe in the power of perseverance. I had initially planned to leave last year, but I made a firm decision to never give up. However, the immigration process has been mentally taxing, and there seems to be no valid reason to delay the decision after the hearing. Unfortunately, my father passed away, and now my mother is sick. She desperately wants to see me, and it is disheartening to feel like there is no sympathy for individuals like us who have claimed asylum.

Reactions: Chimurenga 4