+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration and citizenship status

manchesano

May 15, 2023
I am a bit confused about "Date obtained or effective date". I would appreciate if someone were to clarify this. So In my country we can only apply/receive citizenship certificate once we are 16 years old. Should I put the date when I received my citizenship certificate or put my date of birth?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am a bit confused about "Date obtained or effective date". I would appreciate if someone were to clarify this. So In my country we can only apply/receive citizenship certificate once we are 16 years old. Should I put the date when I received my citizenship certificate or put my date of birth?
If you get citizenship by birth then it becomes date of birth. If you get it by naturalization it's normally the date you take oath.

Not sure what is the certificate you get in your country. Hopefully the above answer helped.

manchesano

May 15, 2023
If you get citizenship by birth then it becomes date of birth. If you get it by naturalization it's normally the date you take oath.

Not sure what is the certificate you get in your country. Hopefully the above answer helped.
Thanks for your response. I think I am assumed citizen by birth and we don't have concept of oath. We can get our citizenship certificate (Card) after turning 16, and the certificate has a issue date on it. I am confused if I put the date on the certificate or my actual date of birth.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for your response. I think I am assumed citizen by birth and we don't have concept of oath. We can get our citizenship certificate (Card) after turning 16, and the certificate has a issue date on it. I am confused if I put the date on the certificate or my actual date of birth.
You should ignore the citizenship certificate if you have citizenship by birth and go with DOB.

Reactions: manchesano