+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating under FSW with Canadian experience as an international grad (in post-COVID world)

Rohit Abby Elias

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
I am an international student in Canada who started studying in September 2019. I have been working part-time (16 hours per week) since July 2020 as a Billingual English Tutor (B level NOC - Other Instructor) and I am fluent in French. Assuming that I will be working till July/June 2022 as a Tutor, I would have surely completed the 1 year work continuous requirement under FSW (no requirement that experience needs to be specifically foreign or canadian).

I will graduate in May 2023 with a (Canadian) Bachelor's Degree. With this and the fact that I am fluent in French, I would gain more than 480+ points under Express Entry CRS calculation tool. I calculated my score as if i had 0 work experience since the Express Entry system does not consider Canadian work done during studies. Im hoping to file right after graduation (considering i have all the paper work like medicals and all)

By May 2023, I fairly certain that FSW applications will be considered. However, is this a good plan? i do like my job as a tutor (i do want to be a teacher anyway), so i thought i would work long enough to use that experience for immigration perhaps. Is there anything im missing? Most international grads do not file right after graduation because its very hard/impractical to do continuous professional/managerial/semi-professional work experience.

I'm bit confused on what NOC to use though. Would it be "Other Instructor" or something else? Please note that I am independently teaching/tutoring students (in groups of 2-3), so it cant be teaching assistant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an international student in Canada who started studying in September 2019. I have been working part-time (16 hours per week) since July 2020 as a Billingual English Tutor (B level NOC - Other Instructor) and I am fluent in French. Assuming that I will be working till July/June 2022 as a Tutor, I would have surely completed the 1 year work continuous requirement under FSW (no requirement that experience needs to be specifically foreign or canadian).

I will graduate in May 2023 with a (Canadian) Bachelor's Degree. With this and the fact that I am fluent in French, I would gain more than 480+ points under Express Entry CRS calculation tool. I calculated my score as if i had 0 work experience since the Express Entry system does not consider Canadian work done during studies. Im hoping to file right after graduation (considering i have all the paper work like medicals and all)

By May 2023, I fairly certain that FSW applications will be considered. However, is this a good plan? i do like my job as a tutor (i do want to be a teacher anyway), so i thought i would work long enough to use that experience for immigration perhaps. Is there anything im missing? Most international grads do not file right after graduation because its very hard/impractical to do continuous professional/managerial/semi-professional work experience.

I'm bit confused on what NOC to use though. Would it be "Other Instructor" or something else? Please note that I am independently teaching/tutoring students (in groups of 2-3), so it cant be teaching assistant.
The federal government has recently indicating that it will likely be reviewing the Express Entry program so there may be changes coming soon. There are very few details available but it's possible the program may once again focus on specific NOCs (vs. being open to all skilled NOCs). So it's hard for any of us to say how good your plan is since we don't know how the Express Entry program is going to evolve. It may be possible for you to apply right after graduation and to be selected. Or you may need to wait until you have worked in Canada for a year after graduation to qualify and be selected. There are too many unknowns at this time for any of us to say. The fact you are fluent in French is certainly a bonus.

In my opinion this sounds like NOC 4216. I do not think this fits the category of a teaching assistant. A teaching assistance is something different.

Rohit Abby Elias

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
The federal government has recently indicating that it will likely be reviewing the Express Entry program so there may be changes coming soon. There are very few details available but it's possible the program may once again focus on specific NOCs (vs. being open to all skilled NOCs). So it's hard for any of us to say how good your plan is since we don't know how the Express Entry program is going to evolve. It may be possible for you to apply right after graduation and to be selected. Or you may need to wait until you have worked in Canada for a year after graduation to qualify and be selected. There are too many unknowns at this time for any of us to say. The fact you are fluent in French is certainly a bonus.

In my opinion this sounds like NOC 4216. I do not think this fits the category of a teaching assistant. A teaching assistance is something different.
right. my plan only makes sense if FSW / Express Entry rules remain the same - which is obviously a bit of an stretch