+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating to Canada, can I get married before my migration?

sam4211

Jan 27, 2010
Hello All:
I got my immigration papers (VISA), I want to know if I can get married before my migration to Canada? Once I am settled in Canada, I can sponsor my spouse. Please help.
Thanks a million...

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
sam4211 said:
Hello All:
I got my immigration papers (VISA), I want to know if I can get married before my migration to Canada? Once I am settled in Canada, I can sponsor my spouse. Please help.
Thanks a million...
Yes you can. Remember to change your status from single to "married" on landing day. This means your new spouse will be considered as a member of the family. You can then sponsor your spouse from Canada, once you get settled. If you do NOT disclose the change of your marital status on landing day, then you will face a "misrepresentation" charge, and this will make it almost impossible for you to sponsor the spouse.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Halifax-Maple said:
Yes you can. Remember to change your status from single to "married" on landing day. This means your new spouse will be considered as a member of the family. You can then sponsor your spouse from Canada, once you get settled. If you do NOT disclose the change of your marital status on landing day, then you will face a "misrepresentation" charge, and this will make it almost impossible for you to sponsor the spouse.
Terrible advice. If the OP marries before s/he lands, then he has to inform the visa office. If he doesn't as his spouse has not been examined, if he shows up the POE he will be refused. The spouse has to be added to the application, complete his/her forms, get a medical, police reports.

PMM

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
sam4211 said:
Hello All:
Thanks a million...
If you marry now and do not inform CIC, it will be impossible for you to sponsor her at a later stage. Two options for you now:

1. Marry now and inform CIC. She has to be added with your application. Submit the marriage certificate and all the proofs.

2. Do not marry now. Come to Canada as single. Then go back to your country and get married. Have marriage certificate and all the proofs of relationship ready. Bring those in Canada and apply for her as spouse sponsorship.

Thanks.

mj1505

Jan 5, 2010
i suggest that you have 1st your permanent resident confirmation..after you received this confirmation...then marry your fiancee and apply her for spouse.

this way it will not take a lot of time to process. because if you will be married before your permanent resident confirmation..the immigration will not give your confirmation coz' they will wait for your spouse application to be process first.

from the time that your spouse application is ready for final processing.. they will notify the immigration in canada who's handling your permanent resident application that your wife's application is ready. this is the time your application also as permanent resident will be finalized.. after you received the permanent resident..Canada immigration will notify the office whos handling your wife's application that you are already a permanent resident.... then this is the time that your wife's application will be finalized.

it just happened to me..we got married before my wife's received her permanent resident....we got married last Jan 2008. we dnt know that her permanent resident will be given on feb2008. so she updated/reported that we got married so the officer did not gave her PR. they told her to wait for your spouse application.

june2008. my application started to process.
feb2009. my medical.
may2009. office handling my application inform canada immigration that my application is ready and will just wait for my wife's PR to be given.
july2009. my wife follow up her PR application. they ask my wife to redo the medical and will have another background check. they said that its been a year since she had this requirements.
nov2009. she received her PR.
Jan2010. we follow up my PR application. they said that doin a backgorund check again coz' its been a year since my application started.
feb2010.my medical will expires.

if my background check will not finished before the 19th feb2010. i must redo the medical again......meaning another months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hope this help..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mj1505 said:
i suggest that you have 1st your permanent resident confirmation..after you received this confirmation...then marry your fiancee and apply her for spouse.

this way it will not take a lot of time to process. because if you will be married before your permanent resident confirmation..the immigration will not give your confirmation coz' they will wait for your spouse application to be process first.

from the time that your spouse application is ready for final processing.. they will notify the immigration in canada who's handling your permanent resident application that your wife's application is ready. this is the time your application also as permanent resident will be finalized.. after you received the permanent resident..Canada immigration will notify the office whos handling your wife's application that you are already a permanent resident.... then this is the time that your wife's application will be finalized.

it just happened to me..we got married before my wife's received her permanent resident....we got married last Jan 2008. we dnt know that her permanent resident will be given on feb2008. so she updated/reported that we got married so the officer did not gave her PR. they told her to wait for your spouse application.

june2008. my application started to process.
feb2009. my medical.
may2009. office handling my application inform canada immigration that my application is ready and will just wait for my wife's PR to be given.
july2009. my wife follow up her PR application. they ask my wife to redo the medical and will have another background check. they said that its been a year since she had this requirements.
nov2009. she received her PR.
Jan2010. we follow up my PR application. they said that doin a backgorund check again coz' its been a year since my application started.
feb2010.my medical will expires.

if my background check will not finished before the 19th feb2010. i must redo the medical again......meaning another months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hope this help..
Are you trying to get the OP refused? He can't marry and "land" without informing the processing office and having his spouse examined.

PMM

mj1505

Jan 5, 2010
PMM,

i believe you did not understand what im trying to say..

its their own decision if they want to get married..before the immigration of the sponsor!
and of course if they will get married before the immigration they have to report these updates to the immigration! because if they will not report this update there will be problems in the future for them.

im just sharing what we have been through....when my wife and i get married before her immigration..coz we believed that if we waited for that permanent resident confirmation of my wife...before we married... we are not waiting until now for almost 20months..

and this forum is only sharing of experiences..its up to everyone how you will take it..
helpful or not helpful...