+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

immigrate in covid 19 with no visa in progress?

kodea95

Apr 8, 2020
My girlfriend and I are trying to get back into canada in the next few months. I am a citizen, but she's American and I'm unsure if I can take her with me per the current travel restrictions. has anyone done this in the past few weeks? she wants to go to school in Canada but not until next year, though we hope to move back in the next few months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My girlfriend and I are trying to get back into canada in the next few months. I am a citizen, but she's American and I'm unsure if I can take her with me per the current travel restrictions. has anyone done this in the past few weeks? she wants to go to school in Canada but not until next year, though we hope to move back in the next few months.
Are you married or common law (i.e. have lived together for a full year continuously)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
we're common law but we're willing to get married if it helps. we've been together three years.
As your common-law partner, she qualifies under the exemption allowing immediate family members of citizens to travel to Canada for essential travel purposes. However, there isn't any clarification on what is essential in this situation. It is also unclear what is being accepted by airlines to prove the common-law relationship to allow the partner to board the plane.

kodea95

Apr 8, 2020
As your common-law partner, she qualifies under the exemption allowing immediate family members of citizens to travel to Canada for essential travel purposes. However, there isn't any clarification on what is essential in this situation. It is also unclear what is being accepted by airlines to prove the common-law relationship to allow the partner to board the plane.
that's my thought. we're driving so no need for the air trav, so hopefully it'll be easier. but we don't want to move out of our current place and drive to the border to find out she can't come. we'll get married if we gotta though!

kodea95

Apr 8, 2020
If you are in a stable position at the moment would discourage moving until things settle down.
unfortunately this has been in motion for a few months now, we have a little wiggle room but not a lot. we're trying to return to my parents soon in case anything happens, but it was all in the plan for now anyways

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
that's my thought. we're driving so no need for the air trav, so hopefully it'll be easier. but we don't want to move out of our current place and drive to the border to find out she can't come. we'll get married if we gotta though!
Yes, not having to deal with the airlines makes it easier. However, there is no guarantee of entry. You can try contacting CBSA ahead of time to see if they can give you specific information about what she needs to be able to enter.