+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrant but got pregnant before landing canada

radimaranan08

Mar 27, 2016
Hi,

We are planning to land in Edmonton Canada sometime in August or September this year, but we learnt that I am 7 weeks pregnant.

Anyone can give us an advise on what to do and procedure. Do we need to inform the immigration a head before or is it complicated to land with my current status.

How about the healtcare? Am I entitled automatically to the province healtcare?

Please advise.

Thank you and appreciate your reply.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

radimaranan08 said:
Hi,

We are planning to land in Edmonton Canada sometime in August or September this year, but we learnt that I am 7 weeks pregnant.

Anyone can give us an advise on what to do and procedure. Do we need to inform the immigration a head before or is it complicated to land with my current status.

Please advise.

1. No, you don't have to inform IRCC as the child will born after you "land".
2. If you are going to reside in Alberta, you will be covered from the first day for healthcare. You have to apply.
3. You should check with the airline to determine the latest date that you can fly.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
PMM said:
Hi

2. If you are going to reside in Alberta, you will be covered from the first day for healthcare. You have to apply.
3. You should check with the airline to determine the latest date that you can fly.
Agreed!

You're entitled to Alberta health care since landing but obtain the Health card could be not immediately (you need am address, or a reference letter). Any medical expenses paid before get the card will be reimbursed.

I would suggest to come to Alberta sooner, to avoid risks flying when pregnancy is too advanced, and to have time to settle, look for a family doctor and an obstetrician/hospital for the delivery, have regular pregnancy checks and more.

rababkazim

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
radimaranan08 said:
Hi,

Please advise.

iam in same boat.when i get my passport we planned to land in aug but then i found my self to be pregnant 6 weeks.now we are landing in April in alberta .as only alberta is the province who gives you health as soon as you land.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rababkazim said:
iam in same boat.when i get my passport we planned to land in aug but then i found my self to be pregnant 6 weeks.now we are landing in April in alberta .as only alberta is the province who gives you health as soon as you land.
Not true. Almost all provinces give you immediate health care if you are coming to Canada as a new PR.

The provinces that have a waiting period is BC with 2-3 months, Ontario with 3 months, New Brunswick although they were talking about changing it last I heard and then Quebec with 3 months but an exception for pregnancy and childbirth.

Also be aware that if you go to a province to get first day health care, you need to make sure that you meet their eligibility requirements which is normally to stay there 6/12 months or 6 in a year so say if you only stay 5 months and then move to another province and don't go back, they could retroactively cancel your health coverage, back charge you for whatever they paid for you and worst case, accuse you of health care fraud.

radimaranan08

Mar 27, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

Thank you so much for your reply.

radimaranan08

Mar 27, 2016
Leon said:
Not true. Almost all provinces give you immediate health care if you are coming to Canada as a new PR.

The provinces that have a waiting period is BC with 2-3 months, Ontario with 3 months, New Brunswick although they were talking about changing it last I heard and then Quebec with 3 months but an exception for pregnancy and childbirth.

Also be aware that if you go to a province to get first day health care, you need to make sure that you meet their eligibility requirements which is normally to stay there 6/12 months or 6 in a year so say if you only stay 5 months and then move to another province and don't go back, they could retroactively cancel your health coverage, back charge you for whatever they paid for you and worst case, accuse you of health care fraud.
Thank you and appreciate you reply

radimaranan08

Mar 27, 2016
rababkazim said:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am happy that I there is someone who has the same situation as mine.

How are you there now? How's everything? can you please update me of the things you first did when you land?, i mean with your current situation - (pregnant). Do you have any idea if we have some support or benefit we can get from the government since we are unemployed and will not benefit from any maternity leave. how about the support for our baby?

Thank you and so much appreciate your reply.