+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) effects on immigration

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
I received a 90-day driving prohibition in Canada a couple of years ago for blowing a "fail" on a breathalyzer test. The cop at the time insisted I was not being charged with anything, just receiving the IRP. And I have read that I do not have a criminal charge. I would like to know how (if at all) this affects a permanent residency application through spousal sponsorship. Since receiving it, I have been granted visitor visas and an OWP.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I received a 90-day driving prohibition in Canada a couple of years ago for blowing a "fail" on a breathalyzer test. The cop at the time insisted I was not being charged with anything, just receiving the IRP. And I have read that I do not have a criminal charge. I would like to know how (if at all) this affects a permanent residency application through spousal sponsorship. Since receiving it, I have been granted visitor visas and an OWP.
If you don't have any criminal charges you are good and this will not effect your application.

Good luck

Reactions: LinkinMark

Taylrarmstrng

Jul 9, 2018
Just wondering if this came up at all in your application process? I've received the same IRP whilst on the IEC here and am trying to figure out if it's going to impact my visa or future visas in any way.

Cheers !

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Just wondering if this came up at all in your application process? I've received the same IRP whilst on the IEC here and am trying to figure out if it's going to impact my visa or future visas in any way.

Cheers !
It actually didn't come up at all since they didn't give me criminal charges.

Taylrarmstrng

Jul 9, 2018
It's funny actually I got the notification for your post while sitting in the classroom for the rehabilitation program
Haha how's that timing?!

While I've got you, are you able to drive while in the program (if after the 90 days). Trying to figure out all the implications and plan it out.

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Haha how's that timing?!

While I've got you, are you able to drive while in the program (if after the 90 days). Trying to figure out all the implications and plan it out.
From what I've heard from people in the course, if you can pay off your fines and enrol in the course within 45 days, they will reinstate your license on the condition that you complete the program.
I guess you'd have to take proof to to the licensing authority that you've enrolled.
I didn't know that at the time so I just haven't been driving for the last two years

Taylrarmstrng

Jul 9, 2018
From what I've heard from people in the course, if you can pay off your fines and enrol in the course within 45 days, they will reinstate your license on the condition that you complete the program.
I guess you'd have to take proof to to the licensing authority that you've enrolled.
I didn't know that at the time so I just haven't been driving for the last two years

Oh yah nice! One more question to put me at ease.. did you have a BC licence when you got the irp?

Thanks so much again, I'm sure you understand the anxiety about it all very well haha

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Oh yah nice! One more question to put me at ease.. did you have a BC licence when you got the irp?

Thanks so much again, I'm sure you understand the anxiety about it all very well haha
Yeah no worries ask me whatever you like. I had tons of questions too.
I had a BC license yeah. I traded in my UK one for a class 5 here. They said I have 3 years to complete the course and reinstate it otherwise I'd have to go through their entire learner program.

Taylrarmstrng

Jul 9, 2018
Yeah no worries ask me whatever you like. I had tons of questions too.
I had a BC license yeah. I traded in my UK one for a class 5 here. They said I have 3 years to complete the course and reinstate it otherwise I'd have to go through their entire learner program.
Awesome, thanks mate.
This is such a relief, could've been a devastating mistake! Not too worried about the licence etc, might be nice to have before summer.. but just knowing I can stay here and won't have any hassle at borders etc is a huuge relief.. so lucky.

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Awesome, thanks mate.
This is such a relief, could've been a devastating mistake! Not too worried about the licence etc, might be nice to have before summer.. but just knowing I can stay here and won't have any hassle at borders etc is a huuge relief.. so lucky.
Yeah I've left and re-entered since it happened and there's been no mention of it.
Even with the massive financial repercussions, I still consider myself lucky I wasn't criminally charged and booted out of the country!
Even as a PR, if you are convicted of a DUI, you can have your status revoked.

Good luck with your process for PR or whatever you decide to do.

Taylrarmstrng

Jul 9, 2018
Yeah I've left and re-entered since it happened and there's been no mention of it.
Even with the massive financial repercussions, I still consider myself lucky I wasn't criminally charged and booted out of the country!
Even as a PR, if you are convicted of a DUI, you can have your status revoked.

Good luck with your process for PR or whatever you decide to do.

Yeah that's it, the cost is insane (particularly for me as I had an Evo car impounded..) but it's a lesson learned and no repocussions I can't recover from eventually financially and licence wise.

Thanks man! And thanks again for your help. All the best.

kitu123

Star Member
Nov 1, 2019
If you don't have any criminal charges you are good and this will not effect your application.

Good luck
Hello i also got an IRP and now i have applied for my PR i am worried that this may make me inadmissible?? Pls reply