+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

imm5662 - Travel History - not sure if I need to fill it out or not?

bb08109

Apr 28, 2024
Hey everyone,

I am the Principal Applicant, and my girlfriend is my sponsor (she is a Permanent Resident).
We are applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. We've been living together for 2 years or so.

We are living together in Canada. I am from Brazil and she is from Mexico.

When I generate all the documents, it says that I might need to fill the imm5562 (it doesn't show as *required in the PR Portal). However, there are no additional documents being asked because of the fact that I am from Brazil.

Some friends who applied previously for PR under this program told me to fill it out, but I noticed that they are from India, and the imm5662 appears there as an additional document for that country.

My question, basically, is: imm5662 is a form to be filled out only depending on someone's country of origin? Also, I don't any any mention of it in my imm5589 (document's checklist)

Please let me know if I need to give any other info in order to receive a proper answer.

Thanks!

bb08109

Apr 28, 2024
You can check country specific documents in the irrcc site.
Hi Lihei.

Under "Country specific requirements" there is no additional documents being asked.

The only thing that appears is the following:

Brazil – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If the principal applicant is a foreign national living in Brazil, they must include a copy of the “Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros” (RNE).
But I know that doesn't apply to me, since I'm not living in Brazil, and I'm a Brazilian citizen.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hi Lihei.

Under "Country specific requirements" there is no additional documents being asked.

The only thing that appears is the following:

Brazil – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If the principal applicant is a foreign national living in Brazil, they must include a copy of the “Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros” (RNE).
But I know that doesn't apply to me, since I'm not living in Brazil, and I'm a Brazilian citizen.
I suggest to treat any discrepancy or uncertainty against you (better to provide more than less). But in this case I think it's pretty clear that you don't have to provide travel history (not asked for Brazil) and not to provide RNE as it's for foreigners in Brazil (if I understand its description correctly) so being a citizen you naturally don't have this document.

Reactions: armoured

bb08109

Apr 28, 2024
I suggest to treat any discrepancy or uncertainty against you (better to provide more than less). But in this case I think it's pretty clear that you don't have to provide travel history (not asked for Brazil) and not to provide RNE as it's for foreigners in Brazil (if I understand its description correctly) so being a citizen you naturally don't have this document.
Hi Ercan, thanks for your reply.

That makes sense. I just don't want to have too many additional docs/forms, I'm afraid it can delay the process or make the officer/agent confused like "why did he fill this if he didn't need it?"

I don't have many travels either way, just like 10 or so.. I might just leave it there, just in case..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Some friends who applied previously for PR under this program told me to fill it out, but I noticed that they are from India, and the imm5662 appears there as an additional document for that country.

My question, basically, is: imm5662 is a form to be filled out only depending on someone's country of origin? Also, I don't any any mention of it in my imm5589 (document's checklist)
I believe it's not required in your case and that yes, it's basically the country of origin that determines. I checked for a few countries for which I do know it is required and the top part (under "The principal applicant must fill out these digital forms online:") says the 'Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562), if it applies'.

Then: just below that, for the country, it does indeed specify under 'Additional forms for residents' - Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562) (digital form) must be filled out.

It doesn't appear for Brazil or other countries that I think don't require it. In other words, the section that appears below in a box, entitled 'country specific requirements', is where one should see the IMM5662 if it is required (and if it does not appear specifically there, it is technically not required).

Now a warning to others: this approach seems to base whether the IMM5662 is required or not SOLELY upon country of residence (the first selection box). It doesn't seem to add this requirement if you are a passport holder or former resident of such countries (and add those countries in the additional countries selection). I find that peculiar and possibly mistaken.

I don't think IRCC will reject it if the package as determined by this form - if completed correctly - does not require it. They can always write and ask you to send it later if they believe it is required.

But I am fairly sure that IRCC WILL require it for passport-holders/former residents of countries that do typically require the additional travels form. So if in doubt, and if you wish to avoid any potential delay, it certainly will not cause any problem if you submit it just in case. If you're just from the USA or Brazil, UK, Aus, NZ, or much of the EU, however, probably not worth it. (I haven't checked all so do check your country carefully)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Ercan, thanks for your reply.

That makes sense. I just don't want to have too many additional docs/forms, I'm afraid it can delay the process or make the officer/agent confused like "why did he fill this if he didn't need it?"

I don't have many travels either way, just like 10 or so.. I might just leave it there, just in case..
I responded after in more length - pretty sure that for Brazil not required.