+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5604E - Can't find daughter's father

Jun 30, 2022
So....I'm pretty stressed. What's my recourse for getting my daughter sponsored if I'm unable to get a hold of her father? He's been out of her life since she was 2 (14 now), but he's on her birth certificate. I do have divorce papers that show that I have sole custody but that's it. Are there any options for this sort of scenario? I have NO idea where he is or how to get a hold of him. Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So....I'm pretty stressed. What's my recourse for getting my daughter sponsored if I'm unable to get a hold of her father? He's been out of her life since she was 2 (14 now), but he's on her birth certificate. I do have divorce papers that show that I have sole custody but that's it. Are there any options for this sort of scenario? I have NO idea where he is or how to get a hold of him. Thanks.
Sole custody is the main thing that you will need. You probably want to check with a lawyer because the law in each country has its nuances (as I understand, basically about how complete 'sole custody' is in law, whether it can be revoked, etc). Or perhaps a lawyer will say your sole custody is basically sufficient (possibly strengthened with other evidence).

There may be other steps that would strengthen / support the case if you have evidence of having looked for him, not available, etc - that might be notice in newspapers, or it might be inquiring with the authorities. Note, I'm NOT saying this will be required - just that they are things that might come up.

Reactions: valvlad

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. As long as you have sole custody from the courts and it includes the ability to remove her from her country You will be fine.
2. Was she included in your PR application?

Jun 30, 2022
Hi

1. As long as you have sole custody from the courts and it includes the ability to remove her from her country You will be fine.
2. Was she included in your PR application?
I haven't done the PR application yet because I thought I had to have that paperwork. How can I indicate on the application the reason it's not attached? Is there a spot for explanations about things? I've briefly gone over it already but I don't recall if there's anything like that.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Assuming your divorce decree (showing you have sole custody of your daughter) is from the US, you'll be fine. If you're filing by paper just include a note attached to the related page on the IMM5604E form explaining that you have sole custody, and the whereabouts of the father is unknown. Or, if you have communication attempts like unanswered emails, or returned or unanswered physical mail, include copies of those as well.

If you're filing online just prepare your note documents and attach them as PDF's.

Your situation is by no means unique, and IRCC deals with this very scenario everyday.

Reactions: armoured

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't done the PR application yet because I thought I had to have that paperwork. How can I indicate on the application the reason it's not attached? Is there a spot for explanations about things? I've briefly gone over it already but I don't recall if there's anything like that.
If she was not indicated in your PR application, you might not be able to sponsor her for immigration.