+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5604 QUESTION PLEASE HELP

schweiz19

Feb 15, 2018
Hi everyone!
I badly need advise regarding my situation.

I and my ex common-law partner lived together since May 2009 and begot a daughter in March 2010 but since our relationship that time was shaky, I decided to put “UNKNOWN” for the Father in my daughter’s birth certificate. He did not show up when I gave birth. After a month since I gave birth,he showed up and we lived together. In September 2011, I left the Philippines and worked in Taiwan. Then I left Taiwan and got here in Canada in August 2012. To prove my common law relationship, I asked my ex partner to provide me an AFFIDAVIT OF COHABITATION(from Philippines). Though his name was NOT stated in the birth certificate of my daughter, he still mentioned that he is the father in his affidavit.I am the one supporting my ex common-law partner and my daughter ever since. Later in February 2016, I found out that he was cheating on me the whole time. My daughter and my family saw him dating with somebody in a restaurant.I decided to end our common law relationship since that day. My daughter is under my mother’s care and custody since then.Now, I have a new common-law partner and he sponsored me and my daughter. My question now is...
DO I REALLY NEED the IMM5604 SIGNED by my ex partner even if he is UNKNOWN in the birth certificate but declared himself as father in his affidavit of cohabitation?

One more thing- I learned he is already in Canada since Feb 2017, I emailed him the IMM5604 for him to sign and contacted him thru facebook messenger but I was cursed, said he did not care of me and the child and then he blocked me.No child support. No contact anymore.(Did not declare the child when he got it Canada)

I’m currently waiting for medical request(me and my daughter)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

I and my ex common-law partner lived together since May 2009 and begot a daughter in March 2010 but since our relationship that time was shaky, I decided to put “UNKNOWN” for the Father in my daughter’s birth certificate. He did not show up when I gave birth. After a month since I gave birth,he showed up and we lived together. In September 2011, I left the Philippines and worked in Taiwan. Then I left Taiwan and got here in Canada in August 2012. To prove my common law relationship, I asked my ex partner to provide me an AFFIDAVIT OF COHABITATION(from Philippines). Though his name was NOT stated in the birth certificate of my daughter, he still mentioned that he is the father in his affidavit.I am the one supporting my ex common-law partner and my daughter ever since. Later in February 2016, I found out that he was cheating on me the whole time. My daughter and my family saw him dating with somebody in a restaurant.I decided to end our common law relationship since that day. My daughter is under my mother’s care and custody since then.Now, I have a new common-law partner and he sponsored me and my daughter. My question now is...
DO I REALLY NEED the IMM5604 SIGNED by my ex partner even if he is UNKNOWN in the birth certificate but declared himself as father in his affidavit of cohabitation?

One more thing- I learned he is already in Canada since Feb 2017, I emailed him the IMM5604 for him to sign and contacted him thru facebook messenger but I was cursed, said he did not care of me and the child and then he blocked me.No child support. No contact anymore.(Did not declare the child when he got it Canada)

Thank you so much.
Regardless of whats on the birth certificate, your new common-law partner is not the legal parent of your daughter.

Refer to the Spousal Sponsorship checklist section below...........you have 2 options....(1) send completed 5604 or (2) provide detailed explanation.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS)

3. ACCOMPANYING CHILDREN'S ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For Minor Child(ren) (Under Age 18):
If your sponsor is not the other legal parent of your child(ren), you must complete the Declaration from non-accompanying parent/guardian for minors immigration to Canada (IMM5604) form for each child and submit a copy of an identity document for the parent who signed the declaration. The parent's signature must appear on the identity document.

Important: If you are unable to provide documents showing that your child's other parent has no objection to your child's immigration, you must provide a detailed explanation

Spousal Sponsorship Checklist:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5533e.pdf

I emailed him the IMM5604 for him to sign and contacted him thru facebook messenger but I was cursed, said he did not care of me and the child and then he blocked me.No child support.

if you have your ex-partner negative responses by email or social media, etc, will advice that you keep any available evidence....don't wish you go option (2)......but you never know.

Last edited:

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much.
I hope you did not include the Affidavit of Cohabitation that you mentioned when you sent the app to IRCC. If you didn't, you are most likely will not be asked for IMM 5604 since there is no mention of the father on your daughter's BC. I, too, was worried when we filed our app in Dec 2016. Surprisingly, I was not asked at all for the said form. But I did include an Affidavit of Sole Parental Authority and Illegitimacy when we initially filed the app. Our app was approved within 6 months time frame.

Good luck on yours.

Reactions: Longhair

schweiz19

Feb 15, 2018
Thank you so much Wakki for your response. I truly appreciate it. Is there a deadline for the submission of IMM5604? My package was complete except that one. I put a statement in the cover note that I sent to CIC that I will send them the signed IMM5604 once available. Will that delay the process if I can not submit one yet?
This is really causing me stress right now. Please advise. Thank you.

schweiz19

Feb 15, 2018
Hi Survivor27! Unfortunately, the immigration lawyer who did my application prior to coming in Canada (as TFW)asked for that affidavit of cohabitation. She sent it to IRCC. And I believe it is already in the IRCC’s database. I just do not know what to do now since my ex partner is not cooperating. Is it possible for me also to just get an Affidavit of Sole Parental Authority and Illegitimacy instead? And that I do not need his signature?

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Unfortunately, the immigration lawyer who did my application prior to coming in Canada (as TFW)asked for that affidavit of cohabitation. She sent it to IRCC. And I believe it is already in the IRCC’s database. I just do not have know what to do now since my ex partner is not cooperating.
Good you put a statement in the cover note that you will send to IRCC the signed IMM5604 once available.

Not sure if there is there is a deadline for the submission of IMM5604 OR if IRCC will proceed to process your application without the IMM5604.

The affidavit of cohabitation is in IRCC database and regardless of whats on the birth certificate, your new common-law partner is not the legal parent of your daughter.

At the very top of the IRCC Spousal Sponsorship Checklist......there is a very important note....see below.........

IMPORTANT: If you cannot provide any document listed on this checklist, you must provide a detailed explanation of why not. You must also provide any other evidence or documents you have available to satisfy the requirement.

Considering IRCC has not returned your Application Package as INCOMPLETE.......will advice you inform IRCC of the reason for the delay and although not my preferred option, but worst case scenario, go for Option (2) and provide a detailed explanation.

Your ex-partner negative responses by email or social media, etc, will be very useful....don't wish you go option (2)......but understand your plight, your ex-partner isn't cooperation which is frustrating.

Last edited:

schweiz19

Feb 15, 2018
Regardless of whats on the birth certificate, your new common-law partner is not the legal parent of your daughter.

Refer to the Spousal Sponsorship checklist section below...........you have 2 options....(1) send completed 5604 or (2) provide detailed explanation.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS)

3. ACCOMPANYING CHILDREN'S ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For Minor Child(ren) (Under Age 18):
If your sponsor is not the other legal parent of your child(ren), you must complete the Declaration from non-accompanying parent/guardian for minors immigration to Canada (IMM5604) form for each child and submit a copy of an identity document for the parent who signed the declaration. The parent's signature must appear on the identity document.

Important: If you are unable to provide documents showing that your child's other parent has no objection to your child's immigration, you must provide a detailed explanation

Spousal Sponsorship Checklist:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5533e.pdf

I emailed him the IMM5604 for him to sign and contacted him thru facebook messenger but I was cursed, said he did not care of me and the child and then he blocked me.No child support.

if you have your ex-partner negative responses by email or social media, etc, will advice that you keep any available evidence....don't wish you go option (2)......but you never know.
THANK YOU SO MUCH WAKKI FOR YOUR HELPFUL REPLY. It’s been a month since I emailed the IMM5604 to my ex partner. Meaning 1 month I waited for nothing. That is why I have to do something now before IRCC will totally return my package or does not proceed the application.Your response helps me a lot. I truly appreciate it.

schweiz19

Feb 15, 2018
I hope you did not include the Affidavit of Cohabitation that you mentioned when you sent the app to IRCC. If you didn't, you are most likely will not be asked for IMM 5604 since there is no mention of the father on your daughter's BC. I, too, was worried when we filed our app in Dec 2016. Surprisingly, I was not asked at all for the said form. But I did include an Affidavit of Sole Parental Authority and Illegitimacy when we initially filed the app. Our app was approved within 6 months time frame

Good luck on yours.
Hi Survivor27! Unfortunately, the immigration lawyer who did my application prior to coming in Canada (as TFW)asked for that affidavit of cohabitation. She sent it to IRCC. And I believe it is already in the IRCC’s database. I just do not know what to do now since my ex partner is not cooperating. Is it possible for me also to just get an Affidavit of Sole Parental Authority and Illegitimacy instead? And that I do not need his signature?

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Just hope for the best. If ever IRCC will request for the IMM 5604, you will be given 30 days to comply. You might want to prepare now an Affidavit of Sole Parental Authority as well as a letter of explanation why you cannot obtain the form. With that, you should attach proofs of the messages you were getting from your Ex.

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Your application will not be returned :)

Oct 7, 2022
Hello i want to share a little STORY about the lady that gave birth to OUR SON in Chicago IL, USA then later moved to Canada as refuge in a long past year since 2019. We were in a relationship in Nigeria before she gained admission in United State in 2016 and her VISA was granted, She's carrying my unborn child along the line which we both agreed on meeting up once i applied for school also, but when she got to USA her planned changed and we've been having misunderstanding ever since, After a couple of months she come up with i should move on that she want OPEN RELATIONSHIP gradually cutting me off from seeing my SON on video calls, I do send money via western union from Nigeria to United State/Canada as child support but she uses the money on her self because everytime i call my son he's always looking unkept so i stop sending money, to cut the story short Please i need help about this ( IMM5604 ) this part ( I have read and understand the contents of this letter and by signing and returning this letter, I am confirming that I fully understand that I may be permanently separated from my above-named child. ) I DON'T WANT TO BE SEPARATED WITH MY SON PERMANENTLY, I need advice if to signed the FORM or just leave it,

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hello i want to share a little STORY about the lady that gave birth to OUR SON in Chicago IL, USA then later moved to Canada as refuge in a long past year since 2019. We were in a relationship in Nigeria before she gained admission in United State in 2016 and her VISA was granted, She's carrying my unborn child along the line which we both agreed on meeting up once i applied for school also, but when she got to USA her planned changed and we've been having misunderstanding ever since, After a couple of months she come up with i should move on that she want OPEN RELATIONSHIP gradually cutting me off from seeing my SON on video calls, I do send money via western union from Nigeria to United State/Canada as child support but she uses the money on her self because everytime i call my son he's always looking unkept so i stop sending money, to cut the story short Please i need help about this ( IMM5604 ) this part ( I have read and understand the contents of this letter and by signing and returning this letter, I am confirming that I fully understand that I may be permanently separated from my above-named child. ) I DON'T WANT TO BE SEPARATED WITH MY SON PERMANENTLY, I need advice if to signed the FORM or just leave it,
You need to understand that when it comes to your son's future you must not be selfish about it, REGARDLESS, of how you feel about the other parent. You have no idea of future opportunities your child can encounter! Your issue has nothing to do with immigration! My advise to you is never ROB your child of an opportunity that you never got because you have no idea how that child can turn around and help you!

Reactions: Enyidia