+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5589 which boxes do we check?

quokkamole

Sep 9, 2019
Hi everyone!
I have question about the IMM5589 checklist.
Our situation is that we are currently living together in Canada since October 2019, but have previously lived in Australia for a year which is the year that counts towards the 365 days of consecutive cohabitation as we are applying as common-law. Between our full year of cohabitation in Australia and our current cohabitation in Canada there have been some months that we have spent apart both in our home countries.
On part 7. Proof of Relationship to Sponsor on the IMM5589 checklist is the question "Are you and your common-law currently living together?" for which we have to check the box for "Yes", but only if you say "No" you are then supposed to tick the boxes for providing proof of past cohabitation etc.
We obviously have to provide proof of a year of past cohabitation as well as proof of us currently living together in Canada, so our question is that which boxes should we check?
Can we not check the "No" box, but still check one of the boxes below it for "Documents that you have previously cohabitated in a common-law relationship for a minimum of 12 months", as we are still providing those documents, even if we are currently living together.
I hope I explained my question clearly enough and I really appreciate if anyone is able to help!

Mickey9

Feb 9, 2020
Are you and your common-law currently living together? This question is very clear. You are living together at the time you submit your application? If you have proof of documents for that, check box yes.
In Civil Status Documents is where you need to provide formal documentation supporting your common-law relationship.
I hope this help.