+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5533

Spyro64

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
Hello, I have a question about the IMM 5533 form.

On the last page, it states,
"One (1) document from three (3) of the following sets of options:
  • Joint ownership (....)
  • Proof of joint utilities accounts
  • Important documents for you or your spouse showing the same address (...)
  • Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment, insurance benefits)
  • Documentary evidence of financial support between your spouse and yourself
  • Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends or family

My wife and I have never lived together so most of these options wouldn't relate to us. The only one that would work would be that last one. And Maybe the second to last one too? I have send money to her through PayPal twice to help my wife pay off something.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? What have you guys done or what do you guys think we should do?

Reactions: bipz

SMWNDP

Jan 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
04-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-03-2017
Med's Done....
03-10-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/05/2017
LANDED..........
14/06/2017
My husband and I are in the same boat, the top 3 options are for couples who have lived or are living together, as far as I can tell.

The bottom 3 options we went with:

Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment, insurance benefits)
-> Husband's work insurance showing me as the beneficiary
-> my RSP showing my husband as the beneficiary

Documentary evidence of financial support between your spouse and yourself
-> a separate document we wrote outlining that we both work full time and do not support each other financially however we do share financial plans, budgets, goals for retirement, home ownership, savings and travel.

Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends or family
-> printouts from social media that we present ourselves publicly as a couple plus copies of wedding cards from friends and family.

Reactions: 604

Spyro64

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
SMWNDP said:
My husband and I are in the same boat, the top 3 options are for couples who have lived or are living together, as far as I can tell.

The bottom 3 options we went with:

Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment, insurance benefits)
-> Husband's work insurance showing me as the beneficiary
-> my RSP showing my husband as the beneficiary

Documentary evidence of financial support between your spouse and yourself
-> a separate document we wrote outlining that we both work full time and do not support each other financially however we do share financial plans, budgets, goals for retirement, home ownership, savings and travel.

Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends or family
-> printouts from social media that we present ourselves publicly as a couple plus copies of wedding cards from friends and family.
Thank you for your reply!

I thought that those options were too for only couples living together. Although, right below it it says,
"If you are not living together, also provide:
  • Letters, printed text messages (....)
  • Proof of sponsor's visits (....)

So this makes me think that I also have to do this one and the other one because it says, "also provide"

Thoughts?

SMWNDP

Jan 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
04-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-03-2017
Med's Done....
03-10-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/05/2017
LANDED..........
14/06/2017
Spyro64 said:
Thank you for your reply!

I thought that those options were too for only couples living together. Although, right below it it says,
"If you are not living together, also provide:
  • Letters, printed text messages (....)
  • Proof of sponsor's visits (....)

So this makes me think that I also have to do this one and the other one because it says, "also provide"

Thoughts?
You're welcome and yes I also interpret that as a couple not living together, we have to do the bottom 5 options on the checklist (listed below), in addition to the requested 20 photos. Even though financial support is not applicable to us, other advice on this forum has told me that if something does not apply, provide an explanation. If they need more evidence, they can always ask for more, as outlined on the bottom of the checklist.

• Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits). (Minimum 1 document).
• Documentary evidence of financial support between your sponsor and yourself.
• Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.)
If you are not living together, also provide:
• Letters, printed text messages, emails or social media conversations between you and your sponsor. Provide a maximum of 10 pages.
• Proof of your sponsor's visits, such as airline ticket coupons or used boarding passes, photocopies of pages of passport for your sponsor showing entry-exit stamps supporting visits, etc. If your spouse did not visit you, make sure you provide an explanation in your IMM 5532 form (Part C, Question 4).

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018

tom zhao

Oct 27, 2017
Does the marriage license from city hall wedding chamber (marriage officiant and all signed).
It is not marriage certificate from Ontario government. does it accecpt by immigration officer to apply immigration to canada?

Thansk

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Does the marriage license from city hall wedding chamber (marriage officiant and all signed).
It is not marriage certificate from Ontario government. does it accecpt by immigration officer to apply immigration to canada?

Thansk
If you're asking about the marriage license from the City, then no.

It must be the marriage certificate issued by the province.

td1983

Dec 8, 2017
Immigration canada just returned my application and they have asked me to submit a new application using the new checklist which should state in the bottom corner the date (10-2017).
I am not able to find the new application and whenever i download the check list it gives me the old one dated (12-2016).
I would highly appreciate it if you could provide me with a direct link to the new checklist.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Immigration canada just returned my application and they have asked me to submit a new application using the new checklist which should state in the bottom corner the date (10-2017).
I am not able to find the new application and whenever i download the check list it gives me the old one dated (12-2016).
I would highly appreciate it if you could provide me with a direct link to the new checklist.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides.html

Scroll down the list and the one that is there is the Oct 2017 one.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hard luck. When did you apply? I thought there was a grace period.

adamhopkins

Feb 28, 2017
I'm struggling with this too at the moment.

All applicants must provide at least 2 of the following:

• Important documents for you and your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's common-law partner (such as employment or insurance benefits)
  • Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.
  • Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.).
Think the top one is out for us. Can definitely do the last one....it's the middle one that has us stumped a little. What kind of documentation would we need to provide?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I have posted this a few times on the forum and some people have found it helpful...

**Some things you may not have thought of that could possibly show the relationship between you and your partner;

- Costco membership (yep really!)
- Joint gym membership (we have a joint membership which my partner has always paid for with his credit card). The gym owner is actually a friend of ours so he wrote confirming the membership from my partners account and that he knew us as a couple..i know that that is a unique situation though!
- A joint credit card? Or are one of you an authorized user on the others card?
- CRA (or other tax) documents showing you as common law/married (i included our tax summary sheets for the past 4 years or so...im named on his, he is named on mine as common law partner)
- E-transfers between you both
- Did one of you pay for a trip that you have booking confirmation for showing both your names as "guests"
- Does one of you pay something for the other?

We dont have insurances with the other named as beneficiary nor do we have utility bills (our rent is all inclusive) so the finances part was tricky for us too.

Do you have a joint bank account? Maybe one of you puts money in it (maybe you do as saw from your other thread that your partner is studying)

Reactions: Arctic Circle

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Money transfers (for example, via PayPal)
I also sent in a few detailed credit card statements around times we took trips together showing hotel charges when and at where we said we had vacationed. Used the credit card statements to show that my wife is an authorized user of a subsidiary card under my name.

I love the costco membership card though. We didn't think of that! lol

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017
That's really a helpful list WeegieInOttawa, thank you! We have also been struggling with this, because even though we live together, I originally moved into our current apartment alone, so all utilities and the lease are in my name. I do have monthly transactions from my husband paying his share of the bills that I could provide. Would getting a letter from our landlord stating the day he moved in, and their approval also work in this regard? We're on very good terms with our landlord so I'm sure he wouldn't mind providing a letter. We also have a document from city hall stating when my husband officially moved in (something all Germans must do when they change addresses), so we have a government document stating we live at the same residence.

I might have to look into whether or not I can get the utilities in both our names, and a joint credit card is something we'd been toying with before immigrating to Canada came up. When we file our German taxes this year we'll be in the married tax class, so I guess I could provide that as well...