+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5490 27-28: Lived together/Are currently living with sponsor?

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
For Questions 28 and 29, "Have you and your sponsor lived together?" and "Are you currently living with your sponsor?" I'm not sure how to answer.

I lived with him in November 2008 for 25 days but that is all the time I could get off my studies, and he has been living with me now for just over 4 months while we prepare the PR application. Does this count as "living together" even if it is for a short period of time, or does the fact that this is technically a "visit" in both cases preclude us from saying that we're living together.

We have been prevented from living together long enough to file for common law, so we intend to file as a conjugal partnership.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would say "yes" for both, and then explain. Some people who just visited their spouse or partner, but stayed with them during the visit, would put "no", but 1. cohabitation is good for proving the relationship is genuine, and 2. I've seen lots of appeal cases where the partners' only cohabitation was one or two weeks after marriage, but they still put 'yes' and the appeal court judge did not question this or say they were lying. The gov't's lawyer didn't question it either. As long as you clearly explain how long you were together and that you were on a visitor visa, they are not going to think you are lying.
I put 'no' for 28 when I filled out my application, because I was on a visitor visa when we stayed together, but now after reading all these appeal cases I wish I had said 'yes.'
In any case, make sure the visits or living together (whatever you decide to call it) is well-documented.

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
Hello!

In our case, we lived together for 2.5 months in 2010, so I put it, but also we are living together now since august (already almost 6 months; I'm here on a tourist visa). Should I put it in Q27?? Though I don't see how, since there is no "TO" date, we are still living together, and how forever!! Now I'm thinks of printing it with the "TO" field empty and handwrite "PRESENT".

What do you guys think?

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
rodriarano said:
Hello!

In our case, we lived together for 2.5 months in 2010, so I put it, but also we are living together now since august (already almost 6 months; I'm here on a tourist visa). Should I put it in Q27?? Though I don't see how, since there is no "TO" date, we are still living together, and how forever!! Now I'm thinks of printing it with the "TO" field empty and handwrite "PRESENT".

What do you guys think?
That would be fine.

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
rodriarano said:
Hello!

What do you guys think?
I did exactly that in my application.

The application will be read by a human, not by a machine. I'm sure they understand the meaning of "present". :)

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
One question, as I'm preparing the form. In a lot of questions I write "(For length reasons, please see notes)", and I give the entire answer on the separate sheet of paper I'll put with the form.

Do you think this is fine, or I should begging to answer on the little square on the form, and then when I run out of space, continue on the sheet of paper?

I think is neater as I'm doing it, but I don't want to be too revolutionary hahaha :p

What do you guys think??

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Definitely just put what you are putting or "see attached document" or something like that. It would be more incoherent to begin on one page and finish on another. Just make sure you CLEARLY state the form number, question number and principle applicant on the attached sheet.

rodriarano

Nov 12, 2011
sidkrose said:
Definitely just put what you are putting or "see attached document" or something like that. It would be more incoherent to begin on one page and finish on another. Just make sure you CLEARLY state the form number, question number and principle applicant on the attached sheet.
Yes, I'm putting headings with form number and applicant and then for each question I'm writing "Question 4: xxxx" ;)

Also what I'm planing to do, in those questions in which I want to put pictures, I will add at the end of the answer "Please see Pictures Attachement" and make a special section with all the pictures (captioned) together and with reference to questions.

There are so many ways of doing this!

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
rodriarano said:
Yes, I'm putting headings with form number and applicant and then for each question I'm writing "Question 4: xxxx" ;)

Also what I'm planing to do, in those questions in which I want to put pictures, I will add at the end of the answer "Please see Pictures Attachement" and make a special section with all the pictures (captioned) together and with reference to questions.

all our answers were too long...so we wrote, see attached at the end of this form, page x; ur form has 6 pages so we continue that numbering 7, 8, etc.... we put header with the person's name, DOB, form number and question number; but in the small space provided i explained the attached proofs directly (i don't like to leave empty spaces)

to those questions i put yes (currently living with sponsor) and period of cohabitation until "present" or "now" (some people have a very wide hand writing so present won't fit)

yeah there r many ways to do it, just make sure it's as clear as possible and they will find everything easy; good luck!!

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
rodriarano said:

Yes there are a lot of ways of doing things! I think the thing to keep in mind is, as long as you follow the instructions to the letter and have an application that would make sense to a complete stranger, you'll be fine!