+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Imm5409 Instruction Guide

ita_drgen

Mar 11, 2020
Hi!

At the top of IMM5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common Law) it says to read the instruction guide before filling out the form.

However, I could not find this guide anywhere. Can anyone share a link or direct me?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Couldn't find the link, but here's the guide:

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409)

Who must complete this form?

This form must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application

Question 1

Write the following information in the space provided:

• Country of current residence
  • Province/state/territory of current residence
  • Name of the declarant
  • Name of the declarant’s partner
  • Name of city, town, village
  • Name of county (if applicable)
  • Name of province/state/territory
  • Name of the country
  • Number of continuous year(s) in a conjugal relationship
  • Date of the relationship (from-to)

Question 1A

Check the box to indicate if you have jointly signed a residential lease, mortgage or purchase agreement relating to a residence in which you both live.

Question 1B

Check the box to indicate if you jointly own property other than your residence.

Question 1C

Check the box to indicate if you have a joint bank, trust credit union or charge card accounts.

Question 1D

Check the box to indicate if you have declared your common-law union under the Canadian Income Tax Act (T-1 “General individual income Tax Return”)

Question 2

Check the box to indicate if you have life insurance on yourself which names your common-law partner as a beneficiary.

Question 3

Check the box to indicate if your common-law partner has life insurance on himself or herself which names you as a beneficiary.

Question 4

If you answered “NO” to questions 1 to 3, indicate other documentary evidence you have that would indicate your relationship as common-law partners

Question 5

SOLEMN DECLARATION

Write the following information in the space provided:
  • Name of the declarant
  • Name of the declarant’s partner
  • Name of the city, town, village
  • Name of the county
  • Name of the province/state/territory
  • Name of the country
  • Date (day, month, year)
  • Signature of the declarant
  • Signature of the declarant’s partner
  • Name of the person who administered the declaration
  • Select the person’s title from the choices provided
  • Signature of the person who administered the declaration

Reactions: am571

Grainne2021

Apr 1, 2021
Hello, If I submitted a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union IMM 5409 four years ago for an extension, could I request to use it for a student visa now?

willisidi

Oct 19, 2021
My Indian friend needed the answers, thank you, guys! I wasn't able to help him find the form. Also, he doesn't speak English very well. I tried translating for him, but English isn't my first language either. I'm originally from Germany, so I don't speak English that well. I had to recommend him translation services that can handle a declaration of this importance. We got help from https://circletranslations.com/content/technical-translation-agency. They also deal with technical translation, so it has been a perfect choice for him. Maybe this helps someone out there who doesn't know English as well!

ohonafsajib

Aug 1, 2022
can anybody help me how to fill the imm5409e.... i need to know what to write (in number 4) as none of the above items is related to me. please help.