+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5406 Canadian sponsoring spouse only

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my spouse (we have NO children) from abroad (we are both living in Ireland).

My question is in relation to IMM5406- Additional Family Information. Most posts I have read affect people either with children or applying under a different class.
I would like to know who should be included on the form. I am assuming my husband (the applicant) is the only person required to fill this form out and that he will put me (the sponsor) as his spouse. Then he will put in his mother and father's information. Correct?

Now for Section C- Brothers and sisters- Is the principal applicant required to include his brothers and sisters (none of which will be immigrating to Canada) or is this section only for situations where children are also applicants and they are required to include all other siblings listed on the form?

Sorry for asking this, I'm aware there are many topics on this subject already, but I can't seem to make sense of it as all other topics seem to apply to non-nationals or people with children. The more I read the more confused I become!

Thank-you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kittty said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my spouse (we have NO children) from abroad (we are both living in Ireland).

My question is in relation to IMM5406- Additional Family Information. Most posts I have read affect people either with children or applying under a different class.
I would like to know who should be included on the form. I am assuming my husband (the applicant) is the only person required to fill this form out and that he will put me (the sponsor) as his spouse. Then he will put in his mother and father's information. Correct?

Now for Section C- Brothers and sisters- Is the principal applicant required to include his brothers and sisters (none of which will be immigrating to Canada) or is this section only for situations where children are also applicants and they are required to include all other siblings listed on the form?

Sorry for asking this, I'm aware there are many topics on this subject already, but I can't seem to make sense of it as all other topics seem to apply to non-nationals or people with children. The more I read the more confused I become!

Thank-you.
Read the IMM 5406 again. He includes his parents and all his siblings.

PMM

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Hi Kitty,

My partner and I were in a similar situation as yourselves- me, a Canadian citizen, sponsoring him, Irish guy while both of us residing in Ireland. No kids or other dependents.

This form threw us at first too, and not to disagree with PMM, we skipped it as we understood it to be irrelevent to our case. Our entire application processed very quickly, no problems and no requests for further documentation.

Ken landed in Toronto on the 5th September and my parents tell me that his PR card arrived today! We're back in Ireland now making our arrangements to move in the New Year.

Good luck!
Tara

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Tara_W said:
Hi Kitty,

My partner and I were in a similar situation as yourselves- me, a Canadian citizen, sponsoring him, Irish guy while both of us residing in Ireland. No kids or other dependents.

This form threw us at first too, and not to disagree with PMM, we skipped it as we understood it to be irrelevent to our case. Our entire application processed very quickly, no problems and no requests for further documentation.

Ken landed in Toronto on the 5th September and my parents tell me that his PR card arrived today! We're back in Ireland now making our arrangements to move in the New Year.

Good luck!
Tara
Sorry , but in your case London screwed up.

PMM

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
It confused us as well. Here's the section discussing from the Immigrant's Guide, pg 15:

Details of family members

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application. If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper
with the same information provided in the same order.

It looks like they're contradicting themselves, but in the end we took it to mean dependent family members- children, what have you.

I don't believe they screwed up.

T.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tara, I think you are talking about a different form, IMM0008. IMM5406 is the Additional Family Information form. If your husband did not fill in his parents and siblings names on this form, then PMM is right, London DID screw up.

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Right, we MIGHT have included this form with just our names, but look again:

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest
). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application

IF we included the form, and at this stage I can't remember, we most definitely did not include details of his mother, three brothers and sister.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tara, I know the guide. I'm a consultant. And I know the definitions and the forms. I'm certainly not saying I don't believe you, just saying that if IMM5406 ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION FORM was not filled out correctly and your husband got PR without providing a completed one, someone screwed up in London because that is not the correct procedure. 99.99% of the time, this missing form or missing information would have been caught and requested. That's all. We just don't want anybody to do this incorrectly based on a glitch that happened with your husband's PR app.

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well thanks everyone for the input! Better to be safe and fill the form out anyway, I guess what I was concerned about was if he filled out the form the way we understood it, that it would be incorrect and come off as if we had children or something, I don't know. The longer you look at all these forms the more confusing and stressful it becomes, especially as it means so much to us. The last thing we want is a silly mistake delaying us. It is no trouble to include the form as long as we understand it, which I think we do now. We are nearly done anyway, should get the application out next week! Fingers crossed it will all work out.

Thanks again for the input. I'm so glad things worked out for you and your husband Tara, and it is reassuring to hear of someone else in a similar situation (Ireland hasn't the largest population, and it seems everyone has kids these days!) so thanks for your post :)

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, while I'm here I have another question....

As we do not have kids and I am sponsoring my spouse I have filled out the Sponsorship Evaluation. ok Fine. Now I'm looking at the Document Checklist #17 and #19. Original Option C Printout and Notice of Assessment

1. Do I still need to obtain and include the option C printout if we do NOT have children (#19 says "IF you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement..." does this section apply to us?
and

2. If so, and I am living exclusively outide Canada and haven't worked in Canada since 2007, can I still get an Option C Printout or do I obtain the equivalent from here in Ireland (Tax Amendment Certificate or P60)???

Thanks!

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kittty said:
Actually, while I'm here I have another question....

As we do not have kids and I am sponsoring my spouse I have filled out the Sponsorship Evaluation. ok Fine. Now I'm looking at the Document Checklist #17 and #19. Original Option C Printout and Notice of Assessment

1. Do I still need to obtain and include the option C printout if we do NOT have children (#19 says "IF you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement..." does this section apply to us?
and

2. If so, and I am living exclusively outide Canada and haven't worked in Canada since 2007, can I still get an Option C Printout or do I obtain the equivalent from here in Ireland (Tax Amendment Certificate or P60)???

Thanks!
1. Yes, or an explanation of why you are not sending the option C. The option c form appears to requested to show that you are not on social assistance and therefore ineligible to sponsor.

2. We sent a P60 to show that the sponsor had been employed outside of Canada for a number of years. We sent both 2007 - 2008 P60.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Kitty - not meaning to weigh in on a conversation which is already done with but reference the IMM0008 and 5406...

I completed the IMM0008 with only my details. I am the PR app and only have common law partner who is Canadian and therefore is not included in this form.

On the IMM5406 I included me, my Canadian partner, my mother, father, all siblings (including step and half - and I have loads but don't know where they all are now, nevertheless). We were very confused with this as the guide isn't 100% clear - so I called CIC and was told to fill in as above. The person I spoke to stated that if I failed to mention anyone on the IMM5406 it would mean that I could not (if found to be eligible) sponsor them at a later date.

If this was not correct I have royally screwed up.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

whoopi83 said:
Hi Kitty - not meaning to weigh in on a conversation which is already done with but reference the IMM0008 and 5406...

I completed the IMM0008 with only my details. I am the PR app and only have common law partner who is Canadian and therefore is not included in this form.

On the IMM5406 I included me, my Canadian partner, my mother, father, all siblings (including step and half - and I have loads but don't know where they all are now, nevertheless). We were very confused with this as the guide isn't 100% clear - so I called CIC and was told to fill in as above. The person I spoke to stated that if I failed to mention anyone on the IMM5406 it would mean that I could not (if found to be eligible) sponsor them at a later date.

If this was not correct I have royally screwed up.
No, you were correct

PMM

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I'm not sure if it is possible to get the Option C/Notice of Assessment, and to be honest even if I can it is irritating to think we will have to wait for it to come in the post when everything else is ready to go, especially since the only time I have worked in Canada over the last 6 years was for 8 months in 2007, however I don't want to be penalised for not including it. Is it enough to explain my working situation and how I've spent the majority of years here in Ireland and include with my application p60s, and tax amendment certs (from Ireland)? Also would it help to include a record of employment from one of the two part-time jobs I had while last in Canada in 2007 (as this has my SIN#)?
I really feel like we can't afford to wait as we want to get our application out before all the xmas post slows us down!!!

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kittty said:
Well I'm not sure if it is possible to get the Option C/Notice of Assessment, and to be honest even if I can it is irritating to think we will have to wait for it to come in the post when everything else is ready to go, especially since the only time I have worked in Canada over the last 6 years was for 8 months in 2007, however I don't want to be penalised for not including it. Is it enough to explain my working situation and how I've spent the majority of years here in Ireland and include with my application p60s, and tax amendment certs (from Ireland)? Also would it help to include a record of employment from one of the two part-time jobs I had while last in Canada in 2007 (as this has my SIN#)?
I really feel like we can't afford to wait as we want to get our application out before all the xmas post slows us down!!!
Hi Kittty - it is possible to get the option C (takes around 2/3 weeks I've heard) however, as I mentioned before, we only sent evidence of the Canadian's UK work history plus P60's and most current pay stub along with a note stating why no option C form. This I presume shows that the sponsor is not on social assistance.