+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM0008 Personal details Q. !4

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
I need help filling out this form in behalf of my partner who is the principal applicant. We both entered our relationship with full knowledge of our background especially our past relationships. I was married but separated that time, and he had 2 failed relationships, the first one he was legally married, then the next can be regarded as a common-law like relationship since they lived together for more than a year. He had 3 children from his ex-wife and 2 from the last relationship. I came into picture after his relationship with the latter fell apart. The kids from the ex-wife are now of legal age to decide for their own, thus 1 of them will be included in our application, however the other minor children will both be non-accompanying as we know for a fact that their mother will not let them.

For my question, As i start to fill out the forms, i got confused with the personal details section specifically the part asking if he had previously been married or in a common-law relationship. (BTW, my partner's marriage is now annulled and i am also divorced here in Canada. ).
How do I answer this part? Do i have to provide a separate sheet to detail his past relationships? or i just need to fill out the part where he was married before and omit the common law relationship?

IRCC will find out anyway that the 3 kids in the application have different mothers once we include all their birth certificates.

Please help! thank you!

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Seems straightforward to me - yes, there's at least one previous marriage or common law relationship there. Can't remember if that's a yes or no question - if it's a yes or no question just answer yes. If they ask you to explain then explain

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
Seems straightforward to me - yes, there's at least one previous marriage or common law relationship there. Can't remember if that's a yes or no question - if it's a yes or no question just answer yes. If they ask you to explain then explain

Thank you! I've some more questions to ask . For the Date of Relationship, should i enter the date of their wedding and the date their marriage get annulled or the date they got married and the date they separated? Thanks again!

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
Thank you! I've some more questions to ask . For the Date of Relationship, should i enter the date of their wedding and the date their marriage get annulled or the date they got married and the date they separated? Thanks again!

I feel like if i enter the date of their annulment which was just recently (this year) it would seem like that he was still cohabiting with his ex-wife when we develop our relationship.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
I feel like if i enter the date of their annulment which was just recently (this year) it would seem like that he was still cohabiting with his ex-wife when we develop our relationship.
I am not certain - it is the first marriage/marriage-like relationship for both my husband and I so we didn't have to report any previous relationships. However if I understood your initial post correctly there have been three relationships that need to be reported for you guys. I'd imagine that you need to list when they got married (or entered into a common law relationship) and when the relationship ended. For the marriage that ended in annulment, it sounds like separation occured a long time ago. I think you need to list when they separated and the annulment date. Pretty sure you'll have to provide proof of the legal end of that marriage so you need to be upfront about when the annulment happened.

Honestly I think a good letter of explanation attached in addition to filling out the form completely and accurately is your best strategy. (You can say something like "He married A on X date. They had child 1 on this date. The relationship deteriorated and separation occured on Y date. However, due to such and such a reason the annulment wasn't until Z. In the meantime he had common law relationships with B and C from this date to that date and Child 2 and Child 3 came from those relationships. Those relationships ended on such and such a date. ") Be honest about all dates even if you think they don't look "good" for some reason. It's much better than having ircc say you misrepresented something in your application.

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
I am not certain - it is the first marriage/marriage-like relationship for both my husband and I so we didn't have to report any previous relationships. However if I understood your initial post correctly there have been three relationships that need to be reported for you guys. I'd imagine that you need to list when they got married (or entered into a common law relationship) and when the relationship ended. For the marriage that ended in annulment, it sounds like separation occured a long time ago. I think you need to list when they separated and the annulment date. Pretty sure you'll have to provide proof of the legal end of that marriage so you need to be upfront about when the annulment happened.

Honestly I think a good letter of explanation attached in addition to filling out the form completely and accurately is your best strategy. (You can say something like "He married A on X date. They had child 1 on this date. The relationship deteriorated and separation occured on Y date. However, due to such and such a reason the annulment wasn't until Z. In the meantime he had common law relationships with B and C from this date to that date and Child 2 and Child 3 came from those relationships. Those relationships ended on such and such a date. ") Be honest about all dates even if you think they don't look "good" for some reason. It's much better than having ircc say you misrepresented something in your application.

Thanks for your reply.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome!
I just saw you posted that it's a conjugal sponsorship and so you might want to post this question in a conjugal thread. I know very very little about conjugal sponsorship and while I still stand by what I posted earlier people who have done a conjugal application are probably better able to advise you on this. Best wishes!

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
You're welcome!
I just saw you posted that it's a conjugal sponsorship and so you might want to post this question in a conjugal thread. I know very very little about conjugal sponsorship and while I still stand by what I posted earlier people who have done a conjugal application are probably better able to advise you on this. Best wishes!

THANKS MJSPARV!