+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5669 personal history questions

BANDITSSEN

Feb 22, 2022
Hi everyone, I am currently preparing my application to sponsor my wife under the family class in - canada spousal sponsorship program.

Arriving at Schedule A question 8, IMM 5669, the personal history questions, we feel a little uncertain about how to present the history, and are seeking any kind advice anyone may offer us!

My wife has worked for the last eleven years almost entirely as a freelance web master, and has moved around alot while employing and supporting herself this way. The majority of her work has been for agencies based in Mexico City (her native city), and we can provide references of employment from said agencies, although the work was not under contract but as a freelancer, not registered with company.
We have created 20 rows of "employment history" and our questions are these:

1. For "Activity type", shall we put "Other" or "Employment"? (And during her time here in Canada, is she considered "Employed" as she is still working remotely?)
2. For "Job Activity/Title", can we put (for example) "Webmaster/Travelling" as the dates of employment also correspond with changes of cities, states and countries.
3. In "Name of Company" will it be wiser to indicate "Freelance" rather than "Self-employed"?
4. If the job is based in Mexico city (which most have been) would we then indicate an address there ( of the agency in Mexico city), or the physical place she had been, in accordance with the 10 year "address history"?

One final question would be:

For the OWP 5710 form, shall we indicate the "employment history" as concisely as in the 5669 to avoid any confusion, or could it suffice to simply indicate the home city of the work (in this case the agency of work in Mexico City)?

Thank you kindly in advance for your attention to these perplexing details.

MariPe

Feb 4, 2021
Following your question because I have the same one for my partner, who works in film by project.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hi everyone, I am currently preparing my application to sponsor my wife under the family class in - canada spousal sponsorship program.

Arriving at Schedule A question 8, IMM 5669, the personal history questions, we feel a little uncertain about how to present the history, and are seeking any kind advice anyone may offer us!

My wife has worked for the last eleven years almost entirely as a freelance web master, and has moved around alot while employing and supporting herself this way. The majority of her work has been for agencies based in Mexico City (her native city), and we can provide references of employment from said agencies, although the work was not under contract but as a freelancer, not registered with company.
We have created 20 rows of "employment history" and our questions are these:

1. For "Activity type", shall we put "Other" or "Employment"? (And during her time here in Canada, is she considered "Employed" as she is still working remotely?)
2. For "Job Activity/Title", can we put (for example) "Webmaster/Travelling" as the dates of employment also correspond with changes of cities, states and countries.
3. In "Name of Company" will it be wiser to indicate "Freelance" rather than "Self-employed"?
4. If the job is based in Mexico city (which most have been) would we then indicate an address there ( of the agency in Mexico city), or the physical place she had been, in accordance with the 10 year "address history"?

One final question would be:

For the OWP 5710 form, shall we indicate the "employment history" as concisely as in the 5669 to avoid any confusion, or could it suffice to simply indicate the home city of the work (in this case the agency of work in Mexico City)?

Thank you kindly in advance for your attention to these perplexing details.
hey man, what did you put in IMM5710 page 3 Details of intended work in Canada?

BANDITSSEN

Feb 22, 2022
For the IMM 5710 open work permit, details of intended work, we checked guide 5553, the "completing the forms" section and it says "If you choose "open work pemit", or "post graduation work permit" leave questions 2 to 8 blank. We wrote N/A wherever possible.

Have been trying for many days now to reach IRCC to clarify all these questions before we can complete the forms, but there is no luck getting through to talk to anyone...
That´s why we are appealing to anyone on this site, as there is so much good advice going around.
Hope this helps you somehow KONAN1982, seems to us that if applying for an OWP, no need to fill in the other questions.

BANDITSSEN

Feb 22, 2022
UPDATE:
Finally got to speak with an agent at IRCC, very helpful guy.
Here i will give the answers to my own questions, hopefully anyone in the same situation can benefit.

1. For Activity Type, even if you are a remote worker, digital nomad or whatever the case may be, it is called Employment.
2. For Job Activity/Title, he said to just put "Webmaster", nothing is needed about "travelling" and that will be answered in the next points.
3. For Name of Company, he said just put "Freelance/Self employed".
4. This was the hardest one for us: He told us to simply list the "home base" of the work, (in our case Mexico City), and that the Address History as well should be the same, NOT to put every single city or country she had been in, unless of course she has been employed directly in that country, or unemployed.

So basically if you are "self employed" and travelling around, just put your home base where you get work from, as well as your home address in the country you reside, instead of worrying about filling in 20 lines of history, as we were thinking of doing.

We also included a little Letter of explanation regarding this "freelance/self employed" situation, and added some letters of reference from the agencies she has worked for.

I suppose if they need more clarification they may ask for a Travel History, in which case we will provide that.
The OWP however asks for every page of her passport with stamps.

Hope this helps someone in this odd situation. Even for the agent on the phone, he was a little stumped.

Reactions: mothimus and ih01

ih01

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
UPDATE:
Finally got to speak with an agent at IRCC, very helpful guy.
Here i will give the answers to my own questions, hopefully anyone in the same situation can benefit.

1. For Activity Type, even if you are a remote worker, digital nomad or whatever the case may be, it is called Employment.
2. For Job Activity/Title, he said to just put "Webmaster", nothing is needed about "travelling" and that will be answered in the next points.
3. For Name of Company, he said just put "Freelance/Self employed".
4. This was the hardest one for us: He told us to simply list the "home base" of the work, (in our case Mexico City), and that the Address History as well should be the same, NOT to put every single city or country she had been in, unless of course she has been employed directly in that country, or unemployed.

So basically if you are "self employed" and travelling around, just put your home base where you get work from, as well as your home address in the country you reside, instead of worrying about filling in 20 lines of history, as we were thinking of doing.

We also included a little Letter of explanation regarding this "freelance/self employed" situation, and added some letters of reference from the agencies she has worked for.

I suppose if they need more clarification they may ask for a Travel History, in which case we will provide that.
The OWP however asks for every page of her passport with stamps.

Hope this helps someone in this odd situation. Even for the agent on the phone, he was a little stumped.
I am in a similar situation, submitting my form this week. Will follow the advice above and advise the outcome for anyone else in a similar situation. Would be appreciated if you could update when your application is processed.