+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5645 - Name in Native Language

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Hi,

Just wanted to confirm whether anyone here sent in their application with IMM5645 names written only in English? Basically, is it mandatory to write the name in Native Language or just English would suffice?

I asked an IRCC agent, she mentioned you can just leave it in English, but add in the LOE why you did that. But given each agent gives a different answer, wanted to ask the experts here.

Thank you.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Instead of writing your name in your native language, someone suggested that you write a letter explaining why you didn't write your name in your native language? For God's sake, just write your name in your native language!

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Instead of writing your name in your native language, someone suggested that you write a letter explaining why you didn't write your name in your native language? For God's sake, just write your name in your native language!
Easy there. It is because there wasn't enough space. Secondly, the person telling me was an IRCC agent, 'someone'. I

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
An IRCC agent? From the Call Centre? Ouch.
Although I have no firm evidence, I am willing to bet that no application in the history of Canadian immigration has ever been refused because a person ran out of space filling in his name in his native language.

Sulmd

Sep 23, 2021
Easy there. It is because there wasn't enough space. Secondly, the person telling me was an IRCC agent, 'someone'. I
HI @pc8922 , I am currently facing the same issue where the number of characters allowed is less than my name in the passport in both languages.

What did you end up doing for your form?

sribrosrs

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
All you need to do is, fill out the form in English, upload it, print the same form without the names, hand write them in your native language and upload it to the supporting documents section with a cover letter.