+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5533 - Proof of relationship to Sponsor

Mar 17, 2016
Hi I need some help with this question. My wife is in Canada on a TRV and we just got married and moved in together, applying for inland spousal. There is some aspects to this question I don't understand. Firstly, are we defined as "living together" if she is just on a TRV? I don't understand what the definition or implied definition is.

Next how can we provide any of the proof such as joint bank accounts, bills, insurance, government documents, etc? Unless I'm mistaken non of these are available to a visitor to canada. I tried to add her to my bank account and they said we could not without a SIN. Same with credit card, car insurance etc. A visitor has no credit history, driver license, etc how can someone applying for a PR obtain these?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi I need some help with this question. My wife is in Canada on a TRV and we just got married and moved in together, applying for inland spousal. There is some aspects to this question I don't understand. Firstly, are we defined as "living together" if she is just on a TRV? I don't understand what the definition or implied definition is.

Next how can we provide any of the proof such as joint bank accounts, bills, insurance, government documents, etc? Unless I'm mistaken non of these are available to a visitor to canada. I tried to add her to my bank account and they said we could not without a SIN. Same with credit card, car insurance etc. A visitor has no credit history, driver license, etc how can someone applying for a PR obtain these?
If the plan is to apply Inland sponsorship and your wife is not traveling back home while the application is been processed......you should be defined as "living together".........refer checklist....

"I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor, and I am applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class."

As per proof of relationship......a visitor may have some limitations but maybe you could try.........ask the owner of your rental apartment to include her in your rental agreement to show both you and your wife as occupants of a rental property........you could also try to get her a cell phone with your address to show on her phone record/bill.

Refer.....checklist......
  1. Rental agreement showing both you and your sponsor as occupants of a rental property.
  2. Proof of joint utility accounts (eg. electricity, gas, telephone, internet), joint credit card accounts, or joint bank accounts.(Submit a minimum of 1 joint bill).
  3. Other documents issued to you or your sponsor showing the same address, whether the accounts are held jointly or not (e.g. cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit card statements, insurance policies). (Submit a minimum of 1 document for each person.)

Christyohhh

Sep 22, 2017
Mississauga, ON
What is your bank? After my husband and I got married, we were able to open a joint checking account at TD bank and I only had to show my US passport and marriage certificate. Also, if you live in Ontario, your spouse can apply for a Ontario Photo ID showing the same address. Your spouse also needs passport and marriage certificate for it. My husband also added me to his insurance benefits from work. I’m a visitor here and was able to obtain all these things.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
My husband was here on a vv and opened an account with cibc he got an ontario id card and i added him to our rogers bill, home insurance policy, he is a beneficiary for my rrsps and is on my work benefits. They accepted that all as proof

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Hi there,
I am also in a similar position were i am from Ireland in Canada on VV and living in spouses family home rent free. We have lived together for 3 years non stop never apart but we lived in different short term rental or parents homes here and in Ireland so have no rental evidence. Also have no names on address out here as I can't open bank account it seems without sin number for credit check.

I Think it's the same deal with phone plans as she still needs to set one up since we are only back a month. Also for the last section with the 20 photos and additional info we have social media evidence and letters from family for one part but still don't have financial evidence as have no joint accounts.
We spend everything on each other but have been using my Irish card still while I have been here and she now has her Canadian account so could we just show both statements and write explanation for both sections. Annoying for people applying inland when they can't work or have sin number to show evidence.
Any help is appreciated
Cheers
Dan. P.s living in BC if that helps.

simjas

Jun 15, 2019
Hi there ,
I have the same problem. I live in Canada and my spouse lives in india . I flew back to Canada after 20 days of our wedding and now its only been two months for the wedding .we don’t share any bills or bank accounts or any insurance benefits as such . What should I provide as the” proof of relationship to sponsor “
Or even if I want to write the reason why I am not able to provide . What should write . Can someone help on this again pls
Thank you