+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5533 - Additional Information

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Hello!

On the form IMM 5533 question 7 in the section 'Supporting Documents for Sponsored Persons' it asks for proof of our relationship. Since we don't have children, I must submit further proof outlined in section e.

1 - Important documents showing we are recognized as eachothers spouse
2 - Documentary evidence of financial support
3 - Other proof that the relationship is recognized by family/friends
4 - Proof of past cohabitation (if not living together, but we used to)

For #1 - My wife (Russian) says that there aren't any documents we can get that will explicitly state 'husband' or 'wife'.

For #2 - There is no financial support, nor any documents. I asked if it is possible to get a joint bank account, and she says no, you can't do joint accounts in Russia.

#3 will not be a problem

#4 doesn't apply to us, since we currently live together. Maybe I could dig up some reservations from Booking.com or AirBnB, but again, there won't be anything explicitly saying 'husband' or 'wife'

Any suggestions/advice on what we can use as proof?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Are you married? Russian marriage certificate (translated and notarized copy) will be accepted.

And I believe Russian marriage certificate does say husband and wife but that doesn't matter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

On the form IMM 5533 question 7 in the section 'Supporting Documents for Sponsored Persons' it asks for proof of our relationship. Since we don't have children, I must submit further proof outlined in section e.

1 - Important documents showing we are recognized as eachothers spouse
2 - Documentary evidence of financial support
3 - Other proof that the relationship is recognized by family/friends
4 - Proof of past cohabitation (if not living together, but we used to)

For #1 - My wife (Russian) says that there aren't any documents we can get that will explicitly state 'husband' or 'wife'.

For #2 - There is no financial support, nor any documents. I asked if it is possible to get a joint bank account, and she says no, you can't do joint accounts in Russia.

#3 will not be a problem

#4 doesn't apply to us, since we currently live together. Maybe I could dig up some reservations from Booking.com or AirBnB, but again, there won't be anything explicitly saying 'husband' or 'wife'

Any suggestions/advice on what we can use as proof?
1. Get an insurance policy with the spouses listed as the beneficiary. Did she take your name and have something like a driver's license showing that?

2. It isn't just a bank account. You live together, so there must be co-mingled finances. Who pays the bills? Does one person support the other or do you both pay for stuff? Do you transfer each other money? You can show proof of any of that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Are you married? Russian marriage certificate (translated and notarized copy) will be accepted.

And I believe Russian marriage certificate does say husband and wife but that doesn't matter.
The marriage certificate is a basic required document and doesn't count as proof of relationship.

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017

As canuck_in_uk says, the marriage certificate is required in section 4. I am guessing (and canuck reaffirms my belief) that I cannot use the certificate as proof in 2 different sections.

We do have a stamp of our marriage in her domestic passport, so we can use that. It is proof that I am recognized as her husband, but I don't have anything similar that I can use as proof that she is my wife.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As canuck_in_uk says, the marriage certificate is required in section 4. I am guessing (and canuck reaffirms my belief) that I cannot use the certificate as proof in 2 different sections.

We do have a stamp of our marriage in her domestic passport, so we can use that. It is proof that I am recognized as her husband, but I don't have anything similar that I can use as proof that she is my wife.
You do not need documents for that section that declare or name you as husband and wife. You provide any kind of evidence that shows you are living together (lease, bills, etc) and other kinds of direct and indirect information that you are in a relationship and supporting each other. Car insurance - both on same. Bills paid for each other. Money transfers. Mail received in both your names.

It can be challenging for places where 'joint accounts' even for simple stuff is not common, but if you both have bills, deliveries, whatever at the same address, that should help. You can write short letter of explanation if you think it helps. Even invitations to events together.

Obviously and separately letters of support from friends and family.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You do not need documents for that section that declare or name you as husband and wife. You provide any kind of evidence that shows you are living together (lease, bills, etc) and other kinds of direct and indirect information that you are in a relationship and supporting each other. Car insurance - both on same. Bills paid for each other. Money transfers. Mail received in both your names.

It can be challenging for places where 'joint accounts' even for simple stuff is not common, but if you both have bills, deliveries, whatever at the same address, that should help. You can write short letter of explanation if you think it helps. Even invitations to events together.

Obviously and separately letters of support from friends and family.
I suggest you review the checklist. There is a first section of relationship proofs regarding cohabitation; what is required depends on if the couple is living together or not. That is the section where leases, mail, address proofs etc. are required. There is then a set of 4 questions. People who can't answer Yes to all 4 questions then have a SECOND set of proofs that are required, which is the set OP is referring to. What you are saying about address proofs does not meet the requirements of the second set.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I suggest you review the checklist. There is a first section of relationship proofs regarding cohabitation; what is required depends on if the couple is living together or not. That is the section where leases, mail, address proofs etc. are required. There is then a set of 4 questions. People who can't answer Yes to all 4 questions then have a SECOND set of proofs that are required, which is the set OP is referring to. What you are saying about address proofs does not meet the requirements of the second set.
It asks for two of the four.

Of the things I suggested, financial support includes shared expenses - which I specifically referred to. I noted at the same address even if billed under separate names to indicate they are indeed shared expenses. Lease may be repetitive but if paid by one or the other is financial support (as opposed to, say, living at one's relatives' place for free) - show receipts, it is financial support/shared expenses.

The 'other proof' is indeed letters as I referred to.

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
1. Get an insurance policy with the spouses listed as the beneficiary. Did she take your name and have something like a driver's license showing that?

2. It isn't just a bank account. You live together, so there must be co-mingled finances. Who pays the bills? Does one person support the other or do you both pay for stuff? Do you transfer each other money? You can show proof of any of that.
I have a business credit card. I can have my wife begin sending money to this account. Do you think that it would be a problem since it is a business credit card, rather than a personal bank account?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have a business credit card. I can have my wife begin sending money to this account. Do you think that it would be a problem since it is a business credit card, rather than a personal bank account?
If all of your joint personal expenses are paid on that card and you could show a pattern of payments from her over a longer period time, sure. If not, no.

As I said, if you live together, you must have proper financial support proofs to show.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you have shared personal expenses at your residence? Receipts that you can show of things paid for at/for the household that each of you have covered?

I had a similar issue in that little co-mingled directly but plenty of receipts and others showing household expenses shared (although also some bank transfers).