+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5532 Part B Question 2 and Part C Question 1&2

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hey folks,

I am currently working on my IMM 5532 form (Relationship information and sponsorship evaluation), and had some questions. I am the principal applicant and my husband is the sponsor.

Part B Question 2: "Do you have any relatives (including aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) living in Canada? If yes, give their full names(s), address(es) and relationship to you."

I have many first cousins in Canada but only one that I'm actually constantly in touch with and have a good relation with. Do I need to list ALL my cousins and relatives living in Canada or can I just list the one that I am in touch with. Also, note that my cousin who I talk to often is not siblings with my other Canadian cousins who I haven't talked to in ages. They're also all cousins.

Part C
Question 1: When was the first time you met in person? Describe the circumstances of your first meeting?

This is a very confusing question for us because my husband and I have known each other for a very long time before we started dating. We went to high school together and then completely lost touch with each other after HS graduation (like I did with many other kids in my class). We then met each other again 10 years later at our high school reunion and after that we kept in touch. Shortly afterwards, he asked me out and we started dating.

Now my husband and I have had disagreements on what answer to write down for this question. He thinks that since the question is asking for the FIRST TIME (WE) MET IN PERSON, we should say that we went to high school together and that's how we met. But then I feel that that implies that we've been together since high school which is absolutely not the case. I suggested we put the date of the HS reunion which was the first time we met since HS and that was also when he got interested in me and started pursuing me. It made sense to me since Part C is information about the relationship. But then again, that is NOT the first time we met.

He then suggested that for question 2 (Did you have any contact before you met in person? If yes, give details) even though our answer is 'No' we can write a note in that space saying something like "Even though we answered 'No', we want to explain that we lost contact after our high school graduation. Ten years later, on MONTH DD, YYYY, we met again at our high school reunion at LOCATION in CITY. After that, we were constantly in touch with other via text message and phone calls. We then started dating on DATE when sponsor asked principal applicant out."

I don't know how I feel about writing in the space provided for "If yes, give details" when our answer to the preceding question was 'No'. Do you think this will be a problem? Currently I'm leaning towards his suggestion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeje

Dec 1, 2014
Hi there, I have almost the same situation with you. so how did you end up answer that question? also can't find the other thread

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
"First met in person" is very clear. If it was in high school years before actual dating, etc, then that's when you first met in person.

"Did you have contact before meeting in person" will be relevant to those who met online before meeting in person or perhaps come from cultures where marriages are arranged.

My story is that I first met my wife before we started dating when she and her family were vacationing near where I live. This was when we had been online friends for several years and finally got a chance to meet in person.

Previous contact prior to meeting in person was that we met online when we were both in high school and met in a Lord of the Rings movie chat room of all things lol.

Anyway, just answer the questions as literally as they ask them. There is no wrong answer. If it's the truth of how you met, and how your relationship evolved into a marriage, then the stories will speak for themselves in your other supporting evidence.

Jeje

Dec 1, 2014
"First met in person" is very clear. If it was in high school years before actual dating, etc, then that's when you first met in person.

"Did you have contact before meeting in person" will be relevant to those who met online before meeting in person or perhaps come from cultures where marriages are arranged.

My story is that I first met my wife before we started dating when she and her family were vacationing near where I live. This was when we had been online friends for several years and finally got a chance to meet in person.

Previous contact prior to meeting in person was that we met online when we were both in high school and met in a Lord of the Rings movie chat room of all things lol.

Anyway, just answer the questions as literally as they ask them. There is no wrong answer. If it's the truth of how you met, and how your relationship evolved into a marriage, then the stories will speak for themselves in your other supporting evidence.
thank you for your answer! So the next question did you have any contact before meeting in person, is related to the first question right? I first met my current partner way back before we were in a relationship and it was throughout my ex bf. and we never had any contact before that. but then we i broke up and single, he then contacted me first and from there we started to see each other.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
thank you for your answer! So the next question did you have any contact before meeting in person, is related to the first question right? I first met my current partner way back before we were in a relationship and it was throughout my ex bf. and we never had any contact before that. but then we i broke up and single, he then contacted me first and from there we started to see each other.
You can only meet someone in person for the first time once, whatever the circumstance. The amount Time between first in person meeting and actual relationship does not matter. For some, people, they could have met as 6 year olds in Grade 1 in their primary school and then moved apart and then came back together years later. The fact is they met for the first time in person way back then.

The "previous contact before meeting in person" is only relevant for those who first interacted in any way that was not in person. Other examples of previous contact could be a phone call, email, chat, letter in the post, answering a newspaper post... ANY contact prior to meeting in person. Like I said above, this could possibly be relevant also in the case of arranged marriages.

So, you'd say no to the "previous contact" question only if the first contact you had with your spouse was also in person.
Hope this clarifies it.

Jeje

Dec 1, 2014
You can only meet someone in person for the first time once, whatever the circumstance. The amount Time between first in person meeting and actual relationship does not matter. For some, people, they could have met as 6 year olds in Grade 1 in their primary school and then moved apart and then came back together years later. The fact is they met for the first time in person way back then.

The "previous contact before meeting in person" is only relevant for those who first interacted in any way that was not in person. Other examples of previous contact could be a phone call, email, chat, letter in the post, answering a newspaper post... ANY contact prior to meeting in person. Like I said above, this could possibly be relevant also in the case of arranged marriages.

So, you'd say no to the "previous contact" question only if the first contact you had with your spouse was also in person.
Hope this clarifies it.
Thank you Jordo to clarify this questions for me!

Dimamro

Nov 27, 2018
Hello,

In our culture, cousins marry each other, and it is legal in Canada, so there should be no problem.
My question here is what to answer on "when we first met", while I am married to my cousin, and I met him since childhood. I dont know what to answer.

Thanks for any help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

In our culture, cousins marry each other, and it is legal in Canada, so there should be no problem.
My question here is what to answer on "when we first met", while I am married to my cousin, and I met him since childhood. I dont know what to answer.

Thanks for any help.
You give the truth.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hello,

Thanks for any help.
It's perfectly normal to know someone from childhood. Tell the truth.

Dimamro

Nov 27, 2018
You give the truth.
Hello, thanks for your reply.
I definitely wanna tell the truth, but it gets confusing when putting the dates. So it is since we were born.
Also, there’s a question of when was the first time my parents met his and vice versa, while our dads are brothers, I’m only concerned about the dates.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hello, thanks for your reply.
I definitely wanna tell the truth, but it gets confusing when putting the dates. So it is since we were born.
Also, there’s a question of when was the first time my parents met his and vice versa, while our dads are brothers, I’m only concerned about the dates.
You don't need exact dates. Most people don't know exact dates when they met anyone. An estimate, a year, even just generally "when we were toddlers/young children/before we started elementary school" type of stuff is okay.

Jul 23, 2021