+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5481E - SPONSORSHIP EVALUATION QUESTION

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
This all thing becomes very tricky at some points. Especially concerning our daughter and my wife. For example;

Form IMM 5481E - SPONSORSHIP EVALUATION,

3. Your Personal Income

Q. My wife had been living abroad for a long time and last 6 years of it was with me. My wife went back to Canada last month with our daughter and they are residing with my wife's parents and this will be the case untill my PR application is resulted. However, She has already found a job and she will be able to present information about her new employment in 2.B. The problem is she is not able to present her personal income for the last 12 months as she was not working but looking after our child while she was in Turkey. And because she was living outside untill last month I don't think she can present Option-C printout. What shall we do about this ?

NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS AND PERSONS INCLUDED IN UNDERTAKINGS IN EFFECT AND NOT IN EFFECT

Q.
We of course write "1" in the box on the right side of 5.A as my wife undertakes my responsibility as she sponsors me. But in 6.B. do we also count my daughter? My daughter lives with my wife in Canada right now, and of course she provides for her, but I am the main financial responsible for my family and am still providing money for their needs. How should we state this issue ?

This has been a great source of information, I would like to thank to the founder of the forum and people who provides knowledged information on applicants concerns. I hope these questions I ask will also clear other applicants questions as well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chelidio said:
This all thing becomes very tricky at some points. Especially concerning our daughter and my wife. For example;

3. Your Personal Income

Q. My wife had been living abroad for a long time and last 6 years of it was with me. My wife went back to Canada last month with our daughter and they are residing with my wife's parents and this will be the case untill my PR application is resulted. However, She has already found a job and she will be able to present information about her new employment in 2.B. The problem is she is not able to present her personal income for the last 12 months as she was not working but looking after our child while she was in Turkey. And because she was living outside untill last month I don't think she can present Option-C printout. What shall we do about this ?

You just explain that she was not working. Spousal application don't require that the sponsor meet the LICO, they just can't be on welfare except for disability.

NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS AND PERSONS INCLUDED IN UNDERTAKINGS IN EFFECT AND NOT IN EFFECT

Q.
We of course write "1" in the box on the right side of 5.A as my wife undertakes my responsibility as she sponsors me. But in 6.B. do we also count my daughter? My daughter lives with my wife in Canada right now, and of course she provides for her, but I am the main financial responsible for my family and am still providing money for their needs. How should we state this issue ?

Daughters name on reverse side. She should also be listed on the 5406E.

This has been a great source of information, I would like to thank to the founder of the forum and people who provides knowledged information on applicants concerns. I hope these questions I ask will also clear other applicants questions as well.
PMM

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
chelidio said:

3. Your Personal Income

Under "Your Net Personal Income" in Item 3,

Your wife can type : $0 /Housewife and Babycare
And, still provide the last 12 month period.

Or your wife can choose to type in: $0 Earned; $500 Unearned Attch

$0 earned income indicates that your wife was not working, and the dollar amount in unearned income shows that she had income from other sources, such as from you, her husband while she was a housewife. I just put $500 as an example, you can always provide a conservative amount that you made available to your wife during that 12 month period.

The word "Attach" means that you will have to show proof of the source of the unearned income. This means that you will have to make a copy of your total earnings during that time in Turkey and notarize it. And then, your wife needs to do an affidavit titled "Appendix to Item 3, IMM 5481E" attesting that she received such and such a dollar amount from her husband while she cared for the baby. And attach both the titled affidavit and the notarized copy of your total earnings for the same 12 month period and send it together as part of the application package.

Usually, for sponsorship immigration, the sponsor's financial situation is not an impediment as long as the sponsor has not been dependent on the Canadian welfare system for their daily sustainance.

Option C would not apply to your wife UNLESS she had her own business, or was practicing a trade or profession in which sh conducted activities for profit.

Q.

Yes, for Current Undertaking, you write 1. Undertaking means how many persons she is sponsoring and it is only you. As a Canadian citizen, she cannot sponosor her own natural child.

In 6B on page 1, you write 1 because this is applicable as she has a daughter dependent on her. While items under 5 had to deal with sponsorees that will be depending on her, 6B is just asking for number of non-sponsorees that are also dependent on her as well.

And of course, in item 7, you write the total - "3"

Then, on the next page - 2, your wife only has to complete the information fields for 6B with your daughter's name particulars and date of birth.

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Thank you for the information. We will possibly choose just write $0/Housewife, since there wasn't a regular amount given; she could take as much as she needed, anytime from my accounts. In my application forms I think the information written will make it clear that I was the financial responsible for the family.

Talking about welfare; my wife has never received social assistance or was a welfare receipent. But she was talking about a amount of money that the government will provide for our daughter's care. I was very hesitant about this and told her to check if this is considered a type social assistance. Do you have any idea what this could be and if this is harmful to our application?

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Except for government loans and research grants, any other type of financial assistance from the government to it's citizens is considered as "Welfare."

It doesn't matter whether the assistance is in the form of a direct or indirect government check /electronic transfer, or whether it is in the form of food subsidy /discount coupons to be used at retail stores, or whether it is for housing assistance - it's all welfare.

It will be best for your wife not to take on any form of government assistance at this time for the next 5 to 7 months, in order not to jeopardize your immigration chances. She can always make use of government assistance with regard to child care or anything else after you have landed.

However, the decision is up to both of you.

chelidio said:
Thank you for the information. We will possibly choose just write $0/Housewife, since there wasn't a regular amount given; she could take as much as she needed, anytime from my accounts. In my application forms I think the information written will make it clear that I was the financial responsible for the family.

Talking about welfare; my wife has never received social assistance or was a welfare receipent. But she was talking about a amount of money that the government will provide for our daughter's care. I was very hesitant about this and told her to check if this is considered a type social assistance. Do you have any idea what this could be and if this is harmful to our application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Libra said:
Except for government loans and research grants, any other type of financial assistance from the government to it's citizens is considered as "Welfare."

It doesn't matter whether the assistance is in the form of a direct or indirect government check /electronic transfer, or whether it is in the form of food subsidy /discount coupons to be used at retail stores, or whether it is for housing assistance - it's all welfare.

It will be best for your wife not to take on any form of government assistance at this time for the next 5 to 7 months, in order not to jeopardize your immigration chances. She can always make use of government assistance with regard to child care or anything else after you have landed.

However, the decision is up to both of you.

chelidio said:

Welfare is public assistance, Child tax credit, GST rebate, EI, CPP, Day care subsidy are not public assistance.

PMM

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for the info Libra and PMM,

I understand she is not eligible for this amount of money at the moment. She has to file her taxes first. As I told she has been living away from Canada for almost 10 years and did not file any taxes ofcourse. She only returned back to Canada last month and this time for good. They are staying with my wife's family and she is going to start a job very soon. It is not much of a job as she is living around a small community in Newfoundland and there are not much jobs going around in the area. She will be staying with her family until my PR is resulted. We are planning on living in St John's in NL as we both have more job oppurtinities and we want to do the finding a house, buying a car and etc. together. I hope this won't be a problem for the CIC officers. :)