+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406

bornfromjets

Oct 3, 2013
Hi Everyone

I have a question about IMM 5406. I have searched the forum and read all the queries regarding this form but thought I would ask again, just to ensure I get it correct as my wife's application was returned.

To provide some context, I am Canadian PR (sponsor) and am sponsoring my wife (primary applicant) who lives abroad. Questions I have are:

1) Is it good enough if my wife fills this form as primary applicant, including me as the spouse and providing her parents and brothers information in Section A and Section C. We don't have any children so Section B would be marked 'not applicable'?

2) Should I fill another version with me as primary applicant?

3) Our native language is not English, so should I just include names in native language on the same form or should I submit an additional form?

4) To expedite the process, can my wife sign the application and send a pdf copy and I can send it over to Mississauga right away?

Would appreciate your response as I would like to send the application ASAP.

bornfromjets

Oct 3, 2013
I noticed that they require original signatures so please ignore question-4.

Would appreciate if I can get a response on the first 3 questions above. Thanks!

visu007

Star Member
Nov 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-07-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
24-06-2013
Interview........
Not yet... Hopefully waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
IP: March 25, 2014, DM: March 28, 2014
LANDED..........
Soon...
bornfromjets said:
Hi Everyone

I have a question about IMM 5406. I have searched the forum and read all the queries regarding this form but thought I would ask again, just to ensure I get it correct as my wife's application was returned.

To provide some context, I am Canadian PR (sponsor) and am sponsoring my wife (primary applicant) who lives abroad. Questions I have are:

1) Is it good enough if my wife fills this form as primary applicant, including me as the spouse and providing her parents and brothers information in Section A and Section C. We don't have any children so Section B would be marked 'not applicable'?

2) Should I fill another version with me as primary applicant?

3) Our native language is not English, so should I just include names in native language on the same form or should I submit an additional form?

4) To expedite the process, can my wife sign the application and send a pdf copy and I can send it over to Mississauga right away?

Would appreciate your response as I would like to send the application ASAP.
1. yes. your wife is the principal applicant and she should be the one filling this in. have her sign and date it as well.
2. No. you do not need to fill this form as you are not the primary applicant. you are the sponsor.
3. yes, include it in the same form in the same box. what is your native language? i did not write our names in our native language. i think if it is one of the major languages, like chinese, japanese or punjabi, then wirte it. french too...

Hope this helps.

bornfromjets

Oct 3, 2013
visu007 said:
1. yes. your wife is the principal applicant and she should be the one filling this in. have her sign and date it as well.
2. No. you do not need to fill this form as you are not the primary applicant. you are the sponsor.
3. yes, include it in the same form in the same box. what is your native language? i did not write our names in our native language. i think if it is one of the major languages, like chinese, japanese or punjabi, then wirte it. french too...

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your prompt response. I will try to get these details ASAP and send it across. I can't believe I made a stupid mistake like this..it's really frustrating. Again, thanks for your immediate response.

visu007

Star Member
Nov 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-07-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
24-06-2013
Interview........
Not yet... Hopefully waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
IP: March 25, 2014, DM: March 28, 2014
LANDED..........
Soon...
bornfromjets said:
Thanks for your prompt response. I will try to get these details ASAP and send it across. I can't believe I made a stupid mistake like this..it's really frustrating. Again, thanks for your immediate response.
You are welcome... all the best!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Do not write 'not applicable' for section 2. She has to sign it, declaring she has no children.
Sorry, the form has changed.

bornfromjets

Oct 3, 2013
canadianwoman said:
Do not write 'not applicable' for section 2. She has to sign it, declaring she has no children.
Hi Canadian Woman,

I don't see a place where she can sign after section B. I did notice though that there used to be a place to sign after each section from previous posts. May be CIC changed the form? Sorry can't post the link to IMM5406E.PDF from CIC to which I am referring to for some reason but it's the first link from cic site when you google IMM 5406.

Also, I see a note on top of the form in bold saying ' If a section does not apply to you, write 'Not Applicable'.

Am I supposed to fill this form any differently? Totally confused... :mad:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bornfromjets said:
Hi Canadian Woman,

I don't see a place where she can sign after section B. I did notice though that there used to be a place to sign after each section from previous posts. May be CIC changed the form? Sorry can't post the link to IMM5406E.PDF from CIC to which I am referring to for some reason but it's the first link from cic site when you google IMM 5406.

Also, I see a note on top of the form in bold saying ' If a section does not apply to you, write 'Not Applicable'.

Am I supposed to fill this form any differently? Totally confused... :mad:
The old version of the form had a place to sign declaring no children. The form was updated in September and no longer has that. Just write N/A in the children section.

bornfromjets

Oct 3, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
The old version of the form had a place to sign declaring no children. The form was updated in September and no longer has that. Just write N/A in the children section.
Thanks for confirming Canuck_in_UK. Appreciate your response.

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
I'm helping a nephew of mine sponsor his wife to come to Canada and they changed the application form IMM 5406 over the past year.

Where it says applicant and spouse information, the martial status choices you have are:

Annulled Marriage
Common - law
Divorced
Legally Separated
Married - physically present
Married - not physically present
Single
Widowed
Unknown

The choices "married - physically present" and "married - not physically present" are new and I didn't have those choices when I did a sponsoring of my wife in a similar situation.

My question is: how does a couple get married and not be physically present? Feedback would be great.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm helping a nephew of mine sponsor his wife to come to Canada and they changed the application form IMM 5406 over the past year.

Where it says applicant and spouse information, the martial status choices you have are:

Annulled Marriage
Common - law
Divorced
Legally Separated
Married - physically present
Married - not physically present
Single
Widowed
Unknown

The choices "married - physically present" and "married - not physically present" are new and I didn't have those choices when I did a sponsoring of my wife in a similar situation.

My question is: how does a couple get married and not be physically present? Feedback would be great.
Some people do get married using proxy. Which falls in the "Married - not physically present" category.
BUT Canada do NOT recognize proxy wedding. So if someone choose "Married - not physically present", they won't be considered legally married by Canada.

divitabali

Sep 6, 2019
Hi all,

I have applied online for Canada immigration under Express Entry FSW category.
I had submitted all the documents on March 6, 2019. The estimated time says 6 Months i.e. September 6, 2019. I received a request letter on August 29 to submit an Additional Family Information form (IMM 5406) and I had submitted the same on August 31. The estimated time is over but there's no update in my account profile. I would request you all to kindly help if someone has faced/still facing this issue.

Thank you so much in advance.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Hi all,

I have applied online for Canada immigration under Express Entry FSW category.
I had submitted all the documents on March 6, 2019. The estimated time says 6 Months i.e. September 6, 2019. I received a request letter on August 29 to submit an Additional Family Information form (IMM 5406) and I had submitted the same on August 31. The estimated time is over but there's no update in my account profile. I would request you all to kindly help if someone has faced/still facing this issue.

Thank you so much in advance.
Once they request additional documents, it adds processing time, which generally isn't reflected in the estimated processing time given in your account. I imagine you'll see that update to something along the lines of "Your application is taking longer than usual to process" soon since you're over the estimate. You can send them a message via webform to see if you can get an update (or potentially if messaging will give them a nudge to start working on your application again, it works for some) but otherwise you just have to wait, unfortunately.