+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 1017 Form Has Two Errors - How To Fix?

Oi

Jan 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/07/2013
AOR Received.
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
02/11/2013 + Renewed after 1 year by CIC
Interview........
06/08/2014
Hello everyone!

My common-law partner and I are finally on our way to finalizing all of the forms we need to send in our application from outland (in the US). He is a US citizen, and I am a dual citizen between the US and Canada. We currently live in Hawai'i in the States.

He recently (well, almost two months ago now) had his medical checkup done on Oahu. We live on one of the other islands, and unfortunately the only Canadian-certified doctor in the entire State was there. This complicated us being able to have his checkup done, as not only did we have to pay the usual examination fees, but for a plane and hotel stay, as well.

We were planning on finishing our forms tomorrow and sending them in the same day. However... last night I took his IMM 1017 form out and looked it over, and it seems he filled in not one, but two spaces incorrectly that the doctor didn't pick up on.

The date of birth is filled in as the examination date, and he accidentally filled in his "Surname" as his first name, and his first "Given Name" as his last name...

To give anyone a better idea, the form looks like this:

Surname
: [First name]
Forenames/Given Names: [Middle Name]
[Last Name]

DOB:
[02/??/2013]

Everything else is correct, and the form even has a section that says "Examination Date" that he filled in with the same date. Considering that, it should be obvious that his DOB is incorrect, but... it's still an issue.

We contacted the doctor's office and they said it's completely out of their hands, now. They'd sent the package off and it was received by the Canadian office in mid-late February. Understandably, they didn't have a phone number we could contact the specific office at. We want to refrain from having to take an entirely new exam, given how difficult it is to set it up under our circumstances.

So, my question is, what are the next steps we should take? My spouse did some digging, and he thinks he might have found a number we could fax the Canadian offices a letter to, but... we're not positive if that's correct. I was thinking we'd write them to inform them of the errors that need changing, and scan a copy of his passport page that includes his name and DOB to prove the new information is correct... but I'm not sure. Is there no number we could call so that we could expedite the process?

Also, if we are able to figure out how to contact them and get the information on their end edited, does that mean he should also cross out the information on his carbon copy of the IMM 1017 and fill in the correct information beside it (with a signature)? I suppose we could always ask them, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this...

Thank you for all of your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Just send your app with the IMM1017 as it is (don't alter it at all) and include a letter with it explaining the mistake and that it couldn't be corrected because the doctor had already submitted everything before you noticed the error. The app will already contain his ID copies showing the correct details. And don't worry, they won't request a new medical simply for that little error :)

Oi

Jan 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/07/2013
AOR Received.
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
02/11/2013 + Renewed after 1 year by CIC
Interview........
06/08/2014
Thank you so much for your help, Canuck! We'll be writing up that letter today. It's wonderful to hear that's an option, especially since it would be a fast one. 8]