+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm so confused please help..landing paper/visa/PRcard

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada and Trang Thailand
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We got our PPR in the email and it says "we are now ready to issue your immigration visa"
Then it says that something about passports expiring. My husband's expires in July. We are in Canada now but he wants to come home for a couple of weeks and there is no Thai embassy where we live to renew his passport. So if he leaves, goes to Thailand, Renews his passport and sends his passport for his visa then how long will we have to wait until he can come back? I am confused with the visa, landing papers and PR card...what is needed to return?

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I guess what I would like to know is the difference between the three and what are the steps that have to be taken in order. Again my husband is in Canada but his passport will expire in July. So it makes sense for him to go home and renew it, visit and then come back...but I dont want him to be gone for a long time.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
if he has received his ppr and his pp doesn't expire until july wouldn't it make more sense to send it get your visa and then do your travels?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
The visa: it's a one time use visa. It is put in the passport and voided when used - when the person lands. It is set to expire either when the medical expires (1 year after it was taken) or when the passport expires. Whichever comes first! So in your case, if you send the current passport and if the medical is valid until October, the visa will still expire in July because that's when the passport expires. Your husband must land (cross into Canada) before the visa expires.

The PR card: the PR card is issued after your husband becomes a PR/does his landing. It will be sent to an address in Canada that he will provide at the time of the landing. The PR card will be his proof that he is a PR and will enable him to cross into Canada without having a visa (which he would normally need as a non-PR). If the person is not from a visa exempt country, then they will need the PR card to re-enter Canada. If he were to lose or unable to get his PR card, he could apply for a temporary travel document with a Canadian embassy abroad. That would also allow him to return to Canada.

The landing papers: I assume by this you are talking about the COPR. It's a big form the visa office will send along with the passport. It's used to do the landing. Your husband will get a copy of it and it will be useful in Canada to show he's a PR - it's an ID, he can use it to get his SIN number, bank account, etc. It's a pretty important document, be sure to keep it in a safe place. But it is NOT a travel document. You can not use it instead of a visa or PR card to come into Canada.

As for your situation: when would his trip be? If he intends to be home (back in Canada) before July, then you can do everything with the current passport. Keep in mind though, he will still need to renew it when it expires. When does his medical expire? If it's soon, I'd not delay things and send the current passport to avoid the visa office asking him to redo the medical.

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much mitmata!!
So if we used this passport got his visa while he was in Canada, and then he left for Thailand he could come back with the visa as long as it is before July correct?
But
if you goes to Thailand, he will also renew his passport. So he would have one passport with his visa inside and a new passport. Would this be an issue for re-entering canada?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Most countries will not allow a person to have two valid passports. Some ask you to return the old passport, others void it - mine was punched with holes. I would expect the same will happen in his case. So, your husband has two choices:
a) submit the old passport, get the visa in it and use the visa to land as a PR. After that, he can go to renew his passport.
b) renew the passport first and then submit the new passport for the visa. Then he can land as a PR.

If he gets his passport with the visa while he is in Canada, he has two options. He can either arrange to land at the local CIC office - he would have to call them and arrange an appointment to land there, depending on how busy the office is he will get the appointment either quickly or within a couple of months.
The other option is the so called flag-poling. He would go to the Canada-US border, exit Canada, then get turned back from the US and return to the Canadian border where he can do the landing.

I'm assuming the medical expires after the passport does?

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are being so helpful thank you so much.
He also has a 10 year American visa in his passport I also enquired what would happen to that when he renewed his passport, on a different forum they told me he would have to carry around two passports when he travelled into the US to show them the visa. I would assume that the passport would no invalid but the visa would still be. I was hoping this could be the case for his Canadian visa, but I am thinking it makes more sense to renew his passport before he sends his passport away for his visa. I just worry that he will then have to be in Tailand for a month while he waits to get a new passport and then waits to get it back.

Also do you have any idea if we can get a refund for a TRV extenion that is still in process?
Thanks again!