+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm Canadian PR, want to write invitation letter for the future refugee seeker

refugehelper

Jul 1, 2020
Hi all!
I'm Canadian Permanent Resident. I have job, family, and pay taxes. But I have friend in my original country, and she is transgender woman. She want to get refugee status in Canada.
What happen with me if I invite her into Canada - write an invitation letter, and promise that she will not overstay? So, she is going to get a visitor visa, cross a border, and than go to the refugee center with her pack of documents - she has proofs that she was really discriminated and she is dangerous.
By fact, I'm going to invite her, and promise that she will not overstay and than I'm going lie. Or it's not any sort of lie? She will change her status in Canada from vistor to refugee seeker, and it's OK?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
If you are a PR as a protected person, there is a good chance that your invitation letter will be a factor for your friend not getting a visitor visa. IRCC may think your friend will be asking for protection just like you did. If you are not a PR as a protected person and your friend gets a visitor visa and ask for protection, you may not be able to invite anybody else in the future. In my opinion it's not a good idea to invite friends if they are going to overstay.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Lying ( misrepresentation) can have a whole series of undesired effects. While I doubt they would Persue you, future applications for friends or family would likely be impossible. Never lie to IRCC.

Reactions: refugehelper

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all!
I'm Canadian Permanent Resident. I have job, family, and pay taxes. But I have friend in my original country, and she is transgender woman. She want to get refugee status in Canada.
What happen with me if I invite her into Canada - write an invitation letter, and promise that she will not overstay? So, she is going to get a visitor visa, cross a border, and than go to the refugee center with her pack of documents - she has proofs that she was really discriminated and she is dangerous.
By fact, I'm going to invite her, and promise that she will not overstay and than I'm going lie. Or it's not any sort of lie? She will change her status in Canada from vistor to refugee seeker, and it's OK?
An invitation letter doesn't carry very much weight in whether a TRV is going to be approved or not. IRCC will ignore any statements you make in the invitation letter about her not overstaying. You can't control her or what she does. For the TRV to be approved, the burden of proof will be on your friend to demonstrate strong ties to her home country and prove she has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. IRCC will look for the following types of proof from her: proof of employment (preferably full time and permanent), proof of property ownership, proof of other assets. Ideally she should have a history of travel to other countries requiring visas such as the US and UK. Also, she will need to show she has sufficient savings to pay for her trip to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with @scylla says. The only thing that I would add is that there may be more scrutiny in the future if you invite other people to visit. The majority of qualifying for a TRV is based on the person abroad and their finances and ties to their home country.

Reactions: refugehelper

refugehelper

Jul 1, 2020
If you are a PR as a protected person,
No, I immigrated as wife of skilled worker(Express Entry stream). Thank you guys for your answers. How can I help her if she will not get a vistor visa - if they reject? What happen if she just land in Canada, and ask a protection from the Border Officer? She will be send to the immigration jail, right?
What can I do in this case? Can I come and support her in the Real life? I know about https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program.html refugee sponsoship program, but looks like it doesn't work here, right? I not ready to help her with money for a year - maybe can give her one-time gift if she will land and get a refugee status about 100 CAD or something about. But I ready to spend time and do emotional support.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, I immigrated as wife of skilled worker(Express Entry stream). Thank you guys for your answers. How can I help her if she will not get a vistor visa - if they reject? What happen if she just land in Canada, and ask a protection from the Border Officer? She will be send to the immigration jail, right?
What can I do in this case? Can I come and support her in the Real life? I know about https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program.html refugee sponsoship program, but looks like it doesn't work here, right? I not ready to help her with money for a year - maybe can give her one-time gift if she will land and get a refugee status about 100 CAD or something about. But I ready to spend time and do emotional support.
She needs a TRV to come to Canada. If the TRV isn't approved, then she won't be allowed to board a plane to fly here.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's very difficult to come to Canada as a refugee, you either have to apply at a port of entry, or you have to be referred by an organisation in your home country.

It will be very difficult for her to get a visitor visa if the immigration officer has any inkling that she might apply for asylum once she's here.

This is why it's hard to offer solutions, because she would need to establish strong connections to her home country to convince an immigration officer to approve her visitor visa.

The chances of that happening seem slim if she's a candidate for asylum.

Last edited:

refugehelper

Jul 1, 2020
I think, she can buy a ticket to visa-free country and have a connection flight in Toronto or Montreal. But when land, don't go to the next plane, but go to the border officer.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think, she can buy a ticket to visa-free country and have a connection flight in Toronto or Montreal. But when land, don't go to the next plane, but go to the border officer.
Do not think that would work either given generally if travelling from a visa required country need a transit visa to transit throgh Canada. A transit visa can be just a hard to get as a TRV.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/transit.html

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
She would need to have a passport which doesn't require a transit visa.

Does she have qualifications, work experience, how are her language skills? Why doesn't she just try to immigrate?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She would need to have a passport which doesn't require a transit visa.

Does she have qualifications, work experience, how are her language skills? Why doesn't she just try to immigrate?
Many LGBTQ+ around the world are not able to find good employment and save enough money.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Do you think she could get a referral from an NGO for asylum?

If she's facing discrimination to that extent then surely she is a candidate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's incorrect and won't work.

She can certainly buy the ticket. However she won't be allowed on the plane.

If there's a connection in Canada, she needs a TRV / transit visa to board the plane.