+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm born Canadian. Married to pregnant US citizen wife.

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
Hi

I'm having my first child, and my wife is American, she's process of getting permission from court for her current children to immigrate with to Canada. Before she can apply for immigration.
But she got pregnant a week after we got married here in Edmundston NB.

My concern is if she can give birth in Canada, since I'm Canadian?A I know and that willing to pay since insurance is an issue. (5k-15k). they will immigrate as soon she gets permission from US court.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I'm having my first child, and my wife is American, she's process of getting permission from court for her current children to immigrate with to Canada. Before she can apply for immigration.

My concern is if she can give birth in Canada, since I'm Canadian?A I know and that willing to pay since insurance is an issue. (5k-15k). they will immigrate as soon she gets permission from US court.
She can give birth in Canada however you will have to cover all costs out of pocket. Understand that if there are any issues / challenges with the birth (e.g. requiring the child to be in ICU) these costs can dramatically sky-rocket. If she has full coverage in the US, my recommendation would be for her to give brith there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

I'm assuming that you have provincial health coverage and the child will have provincial coverage through you at birth, which lessens the risk of huge costs, as you would only have to cover complications with your spouse. That could still skyrocket to much more than 15k.

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
She can give birth in Canada however you will have to cover all costs out of pocket. Understand that if there are any issues / challenges with the birth (e.g. requiring the child to be in ICU) these costs can dramatically sky-rocket. If she has full coverage in the US, my recommendation would be for her to give brith there.
Thanks for your reply, I know it would cost a lot but my logic and perspective since her and other kids are going to immigrate in Canada. I want my daughter to be Canadian born like me. So she can benefit of all Canadian benefits. One way or the other I'll have to pay for my daughter as Canadian birth or as immigrate. Im prefer as to pay for to be a Canadian citizen like me proudly.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply, I know it would cost a lot but my logic and perspective since her and other kids are going to immigrate in Canada. I want my daughter to be Canadian born like me. So she can benefit of all Canadian benefits. One way or the other I'll have to pay for my daughter as Canadian birth or as immigrate. Im prefer as to pay for to be a Canadian citizen like me proudly.
?

Your daughter will be born a Canadian citizen regardless of where she is born.

Reactions: jddd and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As said above, your daughter will be a Canadian automatically regardless of where she is born.

For a normal birth with no complications, you should have $10K saved up. If there are any complications, it gets more expensive very fast. There was a story a few years ago where someone racked up $1 million dollars in charges. Best to have the birth where your wife is fully covered - but obviously your call.

Reactions: jddd

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As said above, your daughter will be a Canadian automatically regardless of where she is born.

For a normal birth with no complications, you should have $10K saved up. If there are any complications, it gets more expensive very fast. There was a story a few years ago where someone racked up $1 million dollars in charges. Best to have the birth where your wife is fully covered - but obviously your call.
Attention, that answer is maybe.

It all depends on where he was born and how he became Canadian. If he was naturalized, then that child will be Canadian regardless of where it will be born.
If he was born in Canada, then it is same thing.
However if he was born abroad, but inhereted Canadian citizenship from one of his parents. then that child will not be Canadian. However it can be sponsored, which is rather simple procedure in case of small children.

He did not specify if he was born in Canada (born Canadian, can be also understood as Canadian by descendence - then you have those rights since birth).

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
Attention, that answer is maybe.

It all depends on where he was born and how he became Canadian. If he was naturalized, then that child will be Canadian regardless of where it will be born.
If he was born in Canada, then it is same thing.
However if he was born abroad, but inhereted Canadian citizenship from one of his parents. then that child will not be Canadian. However it can be sponsored, which is rather simple procedure in case of small children.

He did not specify if he was born in Canada (born Canadian, can be also understood as Canadian by descendence - then you have those rights since birth).
I'm born in Canada, Quebec city. From Canadian parents, not from immigrant parents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm born in Canada, Quebec city. From Canadian parents, not from immigrant parents.
Since you were born in Canada, your daughter will automatically be a Canadian citizen no matter where in the world she is born.

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
Why can’t your wife immigrate before she get permission to take her kid to Canada?
Because she needs the permission of their father and he won't allow. He's just a controler freak etc. It's closer to him and he won't understand. Because it comes to, USA / Canada. His only reason is because it's in Canada.

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
I'm wondering if my wife gives birth in US, if I can still apply and receive parental leave?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Your wife can tag her children as non-accompanying in her PR application. If she receives the court order on custody while the application is still in process, she can change them to accompanying. Tagging them non-accompanying for now will allow her PR application to proceed. This is from personal experience as this is what I did. I got my PR in less than 6 months.

DougR

Jan 11, 2020
Your wife can tag her children as non-accompanying in her PR application. If she receives the court order on custody while the application is still in process, she can change them to accompanying. Tagging them non-accompanying for now will allow her PR application to proceed. This is from personal experience as this is what I did. I got my PR in less than 6 months.

Thank you for your information. It's going to be very helpful.