+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal spouse

Sidhu322

Mar 2, 2023
Has anyone sponsored their illegal spouse in canada. I am pr in canada but my Gf has lost her status now we decided to get marry. Can anyone suggest how hard proofs do they need to grant her a pr. M worried if they refuse my application

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has anyone sponsored their illegal spouse in canada. I am pr in canada but my Gf has lost her status now we decided to get marry. Can anyone suggest how hard proofs do they need to grant her a pr. M worried if they refuse my application
How long ago did her status expire? If it was within the last 90 days, she can apply for Restoration of Status (ROS).

If it's too late for that......

There have been many success stories here from people just like you and your GF. For a sponsorship via an Inland application (SCPLC), the applicant will NOT be refused solely because of a lack of status, because of a Public Policy that is [still] in place. It never guarantees that a person will not be removed from Canada, but the vast majority of those without status are left alone, unless/until the application is refused for other reasons.

Once you are married, submit a SCPLC sponsorship application. Since she is without status, she would not be eligible for an Open Work Permit (OWP) until she receives what is called the AIP (Approval in Principle) email from IRCC. She will be without legal status until she becomes a PR.

However, have the two of you already lived together for at least one full year [anywhere], even while she has been `visiting' you in Canada, which would make you a common law couple?

Sidhu322

Mar 2, 2023
How long ago did her status expire? If it was within the last 90 days, she can apply for Restoration of Status (ROS).

If it's too late for that......

There have been many success stories here from people just like you and your GF. For a sponsorship via an Inland application (SCPLC), the applicant will NOT be refused solely because of a lack of status, because of a Public Policy that is [still] in place. It never guarantees that a person will not be removed from Canada, but the vast majority of those without status are left alone, unless/until the application is refused for other reasons.

Once you are married, submit a SCPLC sponsorship application. Since she is without status, she would not be eligible for an Open Work Permit (OWP) until she receives what is called the AIP (Approval in Principle) email from IRCC. She will be without legal status until she becomes a PR.

However, have the two of you already lived together for at least one full year [anywhere], even while she has been `visiting' you in Canada, which would make you a common law couple?
We just got married nd even though we know its a legal marraige but we dont hve enough evidences to prove it. So m worrying about rejection

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We just got married nd even though we know its a legal marraige but we dont hve enough evidences to prove it. So m worrying about rejection
If you got married in Canada legally, it's not an illegal marriage.
It's just that your spouse is "out of status".

Good luck with your sponsorship applicaiton.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you got married in Canada legally, it's not an illegal marriage.
It's just that your spouse is "out of status".

Good luck with your sponsorship applicaiton.
I think the OP meant that they do not have much/any evidence of it being a genuine relationship/marriage.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think the OP meant that they do not have much/any evidence of it being a genuine relationship/marriage.
oic. I misread OP's reponse.
If he's really worry, then he can defer the application until they have more evidence after they got married.
But since OP's spouse is out of status, I don't think they should wait.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oic. I misread OP's reponse.
If he's really worry, then he can defer the application until they have more evidence after they got married.
But since OP's spouse is out of status, I don't think they should wait.
Agreed! Time can be an enemy for the applicant, because of the lack of status.

sweetnspicy

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO Changed to COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2014
Nomination.....
7-1-2015
AOR Received.
11 - 2 - 2015
IELTS Request
Sent along with documents
File Transfer...
11-2-2015
Is your GF on the implied status ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of relationship history do you have and what type of documentation do you have? Pictures? Have you lived together for a long time? How did you meet? How long did you date before getting married? How long have they been in Canada and what is their status history? These are the types of things that impact approval. IRCC must be sure that this is a genuine relationship and not a relationship ship to gain status in Canada.