+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal immigrant

anawhite1120

May 7, 2020
Canada
OP is likely still legal at this time. Only entered a month ago.
i think 90 untill 90 days its legal, even on transit visa? plus if 90 days period is legal, can I apply for work permit if able to find some employer to hire me as a software engineer in quebec, as I know in quebec 2173, 2174 are exempted for LMIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i think 90 untill 90 days its legal, even on transit visa? plus if 90 days period is legal, can I apply for work permit if able to find some employer to hire me as a software engineer in quebec, as I know in quebec 2173, 2174 are exempted for LMIA
How exactly did you enter Canada? Through an airport?

Sure, you can try to find an employer in Quebec who is willing to hire you. Jobs are pretty scarce right now due to COVID-19. I'm assuming you can speak French.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You just seem desperate to stay in Canada.

For what you've shared your chances of doing so in the country are almost null. Even if you haven't yet overstayed, if you're planning to get a study permit or even work permit you have no time to do so while you are still in Canada and the clock is ticking. Once you have overstayed, the doors will be closed for you.

Honestly, and I am doing you a favor by saying this, go home, do some research and plan to either get a study permit (apply to a DLI --> apply for permit --> come to Canada --> go back or get a PGWP) or get a work permit (find an employer --> get a permit)

These two processes are usually lengthy, several months at least. Not something you can do with such limited time and improper planning. You will most certainly not even be able to get all the supporting documents you will need to go either way.

Just go home, and plan.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that you decided to stay on a transit visa will cause you problems later on if you don’t return to your home country rather quickly. You may be able to justify your stay due to covid but most programs require you to be outside Canada to apply. Given that we are in a recession it may be very difficult to find a job and get WP approval. Not sure why you thought this was a good plan.

Reactions: Buletruck and jddd

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sure, you can try to find an employer in Quebec who is willing to hire you. Jobs are pretty scarce right now due to COVID-19. I'm assuming you can speak French.
1. Maximum validity of a transit visa is 48 hours. After that no status.

Transit visa

You need a transit visa if you’re from a visa-required country and:

• your international flight stops at a Canadian airport on its way to another country
  • you’ll be connecting between 2 international flights at a Canadian airport
  • you’ll transit through Canada in 48 hours or less
  • you don’t have a valid visitor visa

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi

Transit visa

• your international flight stops at a Canadian airport on its way to another country
This is what I was thinking which is why I said she was out of status but I am not familiar with transit visas.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi

Transit visa

So it's official, @anawhite1120 no hopes for you to stay legally or be eligible anytime soon for a Study or Work Permit, even if you manage to get a high enough score for FSW, by overstaying your transit visa you have pretty much nullified your chances.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
situation is the same
I came over to canada on transit visa, and now I am living here
what should I do to convert my status?
How about go home and apply for immigration like everyone else. You obviously got a transit visa on false pretences and are now trying to circumvent the system. You’re illegal in Canada and really should just leave.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
what if someone came over a visitors visa or a transit visa and did not go back, technically he/she did not enter / crossed the border illegally!
Just so we're clear, you were only allowed in Canada for 48 hours. Even if you crossed the border legally with a visa, since it's been more than 48 hours, that makes you an illegal immigrant, because you lost your status a long time ago.

I guess you were trying for some mental gymnastics to justify your status here. It doesn't refer to how you entered Canada, but the fact that you're presently staying in Canada ("immigrant") without permission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone mentioned domestic violence. If the partner is a Canadian, then should be talking with him or her for spousal sponsorship for immigration instead.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I doubt the domestic violence is related to a Canadian citizen. The OP arrived on a transit visa. The domestic violence comment was in relation To claiming refugee status.

karens

Jul 15, 2017
The OP is trying to cheat the system which we should not approve of. Hopefully he/she develops some common sense soon and do the right thing. I have full faith in the system and the perpetrators will be caught.

anawhite1120

May 7, 2020
Canada

I have friend in quebec, I am now already took a flight and going back home, but now I want to know a process for getting work permit in quebec with category 2173/2174

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have friend in quebec, I am now already took a flight and going back home, but now I want to know a process for getting work permit in quebec with category 2173/2174
If you entered Canada on a transit visa, then you are already out of status (in Canada illegally) and applying for a work permit from within Canada isn't possible. You would need to leave Canada and apply from your home country. The longer you remain here out of status the lower the chances the work permit is going to be approved once you leave and apply from your home country.