+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If you're planning on "landing"@rainbow bridge, read this first

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
This was my third and last attempt to land by foot. Attempt 1: did flagpoling, they told they won't do it as they only do 5/day. Since this was on the 4th of July, I assumed I had chosen the wrong day and left with thinking might about it.

Attempt 2: today. I took the day off so that I get it done no matter what. I didn't do flagpoling this time. I have us visa so I literally walked over to the USA, paid $6 fee and officially entered USA. I told them I'm there for a few snaps of the fall. I went back in about 1 hour.

The lady officer told me, "oh, we can't do it today. You'll need to get it done some other day.I asked her why and she said I was flagpoling. I told her that's not true as I'm coming from the USA. She says it is still considered flagpoling as I was there for a few hours only. I specifically asked her how much time should one be out of Canada, to re-enter in a way that won't be considered flagpoling. She didn't have a response. So I entered Canada but I didn't "land" in Canada.

Now, I make one final attempt. I cross over to the other side (where buses stop for immigration check) and asked them the same question. How long do I need to be out of Canada for, to be eligible for landing? The guy categorically told me that they're is no time limit. Not by air, land, or sea. I asked him twice and he was polite enough to give me the same answer.

So now I'm going home after 3 failed attempts. I met 2 guys who were in office waiting for their landing. Their's was successful so I needed to know what they did right. The had been waiting/camping on the USA side since Tuesday @1am!!! They told be that Canada only accepts about 5 people a day for landing. The rest can wait another 24 before trying again.

So if you're going to rainbow bridge for CoPR/landing, I've given you a first hand and the most recent account is how things are there.i need to write this as all the old threads on Thursday topic are either outdated or they don't accurately reflect the ground reality, as of July 2019.

Thanks and good luck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/CitImmCanada?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CitImmCanada</a> for the 2nd time, I was denied &quot;landing&quot; at rainbow bridge. I went to USA and came back, on a Thursday evening at 7pm, and yet I was told &quot;landing&quot; can&#39;t be done as I&#39;m &quot;flagpoling&quot;. How long do I need to leave Canada? No such time limit is mentioned on the website. <a href="https://t.co/v0wuZn45k7">pic.twitter.com/v0wuZn45k7</a></p>&mdash; A.S.Dutt (@thecureforhair) <a href="https://twitter.com/thecureforhair/status/1149465922555396097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">July 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: mbaleine

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
Sorry about the image mess up. It's my tweet to IRCc. I think you can open it if you click on the hyperlink part. I'm on cell and traveling back so apologies.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This was my third and last attempt to land by foot. Attempt 1: did flagpoling, they told they won't do it as they only do 5/day. Since this was on the 4th of July, I assumed I had chosen the wrong day and left with thinking might about it.

Attempt 2: today. I took the day off so that I get it done no matter what. I didn't do flagpoling this time. I have us visa so I literally walked over to the USA, paid $6 fee and officially entered USA. I told them I'm there for a few snaps of the fall. I went back in about 1 hour.

The lady officer told me, "oh, we can't do it today. You'll need to get it done some other day.I asked her why and she said I was flagpoling. I told her that's not true as I'm coming from the USA. She says it is still considered flagpoling as I was there for a few hours only. I specifically asked her how much time should one be out of Canada, to re-enter in a way that won't be considered flagpoling. She didn't have a response. So I entered Canada but I didn't "land" in Canada.

Now, I make one final attempt. I cross over to the other side (where buses stop for immigration check) and asked them the same question. How long do I need to be out of Canada for, to be eligible for landing? The guy categorically told me that they're is no time limit. Not by air, land, or sea. I asked him twice and he was polite enough to give me the same answer.

So now I'm going home after 3 failed attempts. I met 2 guys who were in office waiting for their landing. Their's was successful so I needed to know what they did right. The had been waiting/camping on the USA side since Tuesday @1am!!! They told be that Canada only accepts about 5 people a day for landing. The rest can wait another 24 before trying again.

So if you're going to rainbow bridge for CoPR/landing, I've given you a first hand and the most recent account is how things are there.i need to write this as all the old threads on Thursday topic are either outdated or they don't accurately reflect the ground reality, as of July 2019.

Thanks and good luck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/CitImmCanada?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CitImmCanada</a> for the 2nd time, I was denied &quot;landing&quot; at rainbow bridge. I went to USA and came back, on a Thursday evening at 7pm, and yet I was told &quot;landing&quot; can&#39;t be done as I&#39;m &quot;flagpoling&quot;. How long do I need to leave Canada? No such time limit is mentioned on the website. <a href="https://t.co/v0wuZn45k7">pic.twitter.com/v0wuZn45k7</a></p>&mdash; A.S.Dutt (@thecureforhair) <a href="https://twitter.com/thecureforhair/status/1149465922555396097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">July 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Apparently, if you reside in Canada, and then attempt to enter the USA for however long, then return to "land", it's considered as "flag-poling". It's the fact that you reside in Canada that's the determinant factor, not how long you stay out. This only affects land borders and not air or sea ports.

See : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html

Study and work permit requests, and requests for processing of confirmation of permanent residence at the Peace Bridge, Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and Rainbow Bridge
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for its part has implemented service hours for processing confirmation of permanent residence, and work and study permit applications at the Fort Erie (Peace Bridge), Niagara-on-the-Lake (Queenston-Lewiston Bridge) and Niagara Falls (Rainbow Bridge) ports of entry made by individuals who currently reside in Canada, possess a valid work or study permit, or hold temporary residence status, and travelled to the USA for the sole purpose of presenting their permit application at a Canadian port of entry.

Should an individual meet these criteria, applications for confirmation of permanent residence or a new work or study permit may be made at the Fort Erie (Peace Bridge), Niagara-on-the-Lake (Queenston-Lewiston Bridge) or Niagara Falls (Rainbow Bridge) ports of entry as follows:

• Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight
Outside of these scheduled hours, any individual who meets the requirements outlined above and crosses the border at the Peace Bridge, Queenston-LewistonBridge or Rainbow Bridge to process confirmation of permanent residence or apply for a work or study permit will be admitted into Canada if they meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, their application will not be processed at the Fort Erie (Peace Bridge), Niagara-on-the-Lake (Queenston-Lewiston Bridge) or Niagara Falls (Rainbow Bridge) ports of entry, and they will be invited to submit their application to IRCC from within Canada.

Please be advised that even during the scheduled hours some applications might not be processed due to high volumes and excessive wait times and you may be invited to apply online or make an appointment with IRCC from within Canada. To learn more about IRCC’s services and access them, please visit IRCC or call 1-888-242-2100.

Last edited:

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
Apparently, if you reside in Canada, and then attempt to enter the USA for however long, then return to "land", it's considered as "flag-poling". It's the fact that you reside in Canada that's the determinant factor, not how long you stay out. This only
Apparently, being the key word. It's a conclusion I've reached as well but no where is it stated, neither in the link I shared nor in the link you shared.

And this lack of information (or misinformation) is the problem. There are so many threads here where people say they got it in under 1 hour. I just haven't seen that to be anywhere close to reality.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Apparently, being the key word. It's a conclusion I've reached as well but no where is it stated, neither in the link I shared nor in the link you shared.

And this lack of information (or misinformation) is the problem. There are so many threads here where people say they got it in under 1 hour. I just haven't seen that to be anywhere close to reality.
Interesting article : https://www.immigroup.com/news/flagpoling-your-way-new-work-or-study-permit-or-permanent-residence

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014

It is all about timing, I got it on my 4th attempt. Best days are Tuesday/Wednesday. You should cross the border in car/walk and get in the que on the US side. The officer told me they accept first 10-13 people depending on availability of officers. These 10-13 applications take over 5/6 hours to process. Have patience and try again on Tuesday. Plan to be at the border by 7:30am.

Reactions: Debret

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
It is all about timing, I got it on my 4th attempt. Best days are Tuesday/Wednesday. You should cross the border in car/walk and get in the que on the US side. The officer told me they accept first 10-13 people depending on availability of officers. These 10-13 applications take over 5/6 hours to process. Have patience and try again on Tuesday. Plan to be at the border by 7:30am.
Thank you for explaining. Does it take the same amount of time if I land by air?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you for explaining. Does it take the same amount of time if I land by air?
Landing by air is usually about 10-15 minutes + queuing time. Airport secondary inspection is geared to handling incoming immigrants...

canada_boy

Jun 19, 2019
Hi guys, just landed in Peace Bridge with my spouse. Took just 12 minutes. I was the only one here. Got here around 7:40am and done by 7:52. All the best guys.

Debret

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Nomination.....
04/04/2018
AOR Received.
20/08/2018
Med's Request
02/05/2019
Med's Done....
21/05/2019
Passport Req..
02/07/2019
Hey Guys, just an update for those planning to come to Niagara for flagpole: we came at 6 am today and we were the last ones to be accepted for the day. More than 100 people on the queue. We are a family of 4. Raining cats and dogs here in Niagara, we are wet and happy that we could do it in our first attempt!
These days, people are sleeping on the bridge so if you don’t come before 6, than the chances to get your process done is very low. Hope it helps! I’m happy and tired, wishing you all the best of luck!

canada_boy

Jun 19, 2019
Hey Guys, just an update for those planning to come to Niagara for flagpole: we came at 6 am today and we were the last ones to be accepted for the day. More than 100 people on the queue. We are a family of 4. Raining cats and dogs here in Niagara, we are wet and happy that we could do it in our first attempt!
These days, people are sleeping on the bridge so if you don’t come before 6, than the chances to get your process done is very low. Hope it helps! I’m happy and tired, wishing you all the best of luck!
I will advise anyone to go to Peace Bridge instead. I was there last week Tuesday around 7:40am and i was the only one there. Takes 10 minutes for both mine and my wife. Although you cant walk across like rainbow bridge, you can rent a car if you dont have one. Most people go to Rainbow instead because they can just walk across. Just my 2 cents. Good luck everyone.

Harsimran1606

Star Member
Nov 21, 2018
Hello guys am planning to go to peace bridge tomorrow around 8 am for landing...Can someone tell me what questions CBSA asks and what documents should i take with me other than passport, COPR and work permit?

Debret

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Nomination.....
04/04/2018
AOR Received.
20/08/2018
Med's Request
02/05/2019
Med's Done....
21/05/2019
Passport Req..
02/07/2019
I will advise anyone to go to Peace Bridge instead. I was there last week Tuesday around 7:40am and i was the only one there. Takes 10 minutes for both mine and my wife. Although you cant walk across like rainbow bridge, you can rent a car if you dont have one. Most people go to Rainbow instead because they can just walk across. Just my 2 cents. Good luck everyone.
Unfortunately, this option doesn't work for those who don't drive, like me.
Rainbow Bridge is incredibly busy in the walkway.

The experience I shared is for those planning to flagpole by foot. Can't speak about crossing the border by car.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks for the inputs. I am yet to reach the stage where you guys are, I have recently submitted my application in Express entry, FSW CEC class.
Is there no other way for the people who reside in Canada on a Work Permit to get their COPR issued?

I believe I read somewhere, if you are in Canada and your application for PR is approved there is a local office within the city and you could get your COPR paperwork done. I am hunting for the link. Will post once I find it.