Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Hello everyone, I'd like to summarize my story for you and perhaps you can help me. I would greatly appreciate it!

My boyfriend and I have been dating for two and a half years in the US. However, he is a Canadian citizen, and his mother brought him and his brothers here when they were minors. Recently we went to Canada for a couple weeks, then upon returning to the US, he was refused entry on an attempt to immigrate here. We're going to be married in October. We plan on having our wedding and filing for the Spouse visa. Here's the issue. We love each other, and we can prove that much. But in the US, we have no proof of his residency, bills, anything at all.

After our wedding, I'll be coming back to the states, so we can file seperately. I hear the process this way only takes 6-7 months, so we can save up money seperately to begin our new lives. Are photographs and e-mails and things of that nature enough to prove to them we love each other? Our situation because of his stay in the US might make things complicated. Also, I hope our incomes don't come into play heavily, but from what I've been reading, that won't.

Also, can I still visit him in Canada for a couple weeks while my papers are pending? We don't want to do anything wrong to complicate the process. Should we get a lawyer?

Thank you all so much in advance!!!

graham

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
income will have no impact on a sponsorship unless children are involved,I am not too sure on us policies but i would assume if you have many pics and e-mails and such proving your relationship sponorship should go smoothly.I am sponsoring my wife from the philippines and decided to obtain a lawyer,even if you do not hire one for your case...they will usually provide a counseltation for a small fee-might be worth it,good luck.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
nyssa said:
Hello everyone, I'd like to summarize my story for you and perhaps you can help me. I would greatly appreciate it!

My boyfriend and I have been dating for two and a half years in the US. However, he is a Canadian citizen, and his mother brought him and his brothers here when they were minors. Recently we went to Canada for a couple weeks, then upon returning to the US, he was refused entry on an attempt to immigrate here. We're going to be married in October. We plan on having our wedding and filing for the Spouse visa. Here's the issue. We love each other, and we can prove that much. But in the US, we have no proof of his residency, bills, anything at all.

After our wedding, I'll be coming back to the states, so we can file seperately. I hear the process this way only takes 6-7 months, so we can save up money seperately to begin our new lives. Are photographs and e-mails and things of that nature enough to prove to them we love each other? Our situation because of his stay in the US might make things complicated. Also, I hope our incomes don't come into play heavily, but from what I've been reading, that won't.

Also, can I still visit him in Canada for a couple weeks while my papers are pending? We don't want to do anything wrong to complicate the process. Should we get a lawyer?

Thank you all so much in advance!!!
Well, a couple of things right off the bat. Assuming you're getting married in Canada (because your bf can't get into the States right now) you need to be careful that you don't happily announce that when attempting to enter Canada for the wedding. They will turn you around so fast it'll make your head spin - and they could even exclude you from Canada for a period of time. The same way your bf was turned back from the States because they believed he was trying to immigrate, if the Canadian officers find out that you're coming to Canada to get married, they have reason to believe that you are also trying to enter Canada permanently and they will turn you back. Maybe you guys should consider a destination wedding, just to avoid the issue altogether??? (I'm only half kidding, actually.)

Because you'll be applying as spouses, there is no requirement that you show that you've lived together or anything like that. The evidence and documentation you need to provide needs to be directed towards proving that you have a genuine relationship - in other words, not a relationship that either of you entered into in order to facilitate your entry to Canada as a permanent resident. So, include things that support the development and continuing nature of your relationship: pictures, cards, receipts for gifts, proof of your contact with each other since he's been back in Canada (phone records, emails, chat records, etc.), and your wedding/reception/honeymoon photos.

No, there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorships. Most people don't need a lawyer to help them fill out forms and collect "evidence" of their relationship. Having a lawyer will not help expedite your case, and the lawyer can't get any more information from CIC about what's going on with your case once it's in process than you can. There's lots of information at the US2Canada website that's specific to US spousal applicants, so I'd suggest you read through that stuff and then post any questions you might have in the discussion forums.

You should still be able to visit, even with a PR ap in process. You'll need to be able to demonstrate on entry to Canada that you are still a genuine temporary visitor - have proof of your ties to home: a job to go back to, a lease or rental agreement for housing, a return trip itinerary. As long as you can show that you are not coming to live in Canada before you have PR status, you should be okay. You just need to know how to play the game at the border - whether it's when/if you come to Canada for your wedding, or whether you're coming to visit after your marriage.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Thank you both for your help!!

RobsLuv- I figured I when I got to the border, I would show them the most recent work paystub, my checkbook, things of that nature, my return ticket. I didn't even think it would be an issue!! When I come back after the wedding would that be a problem? I'm going to have lots of wedding stuff on me, I'm sure. I'm confused :(

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
One More Thing!!

Is it frowned upon to get married at the Justice of the Peace rather than an entire ceremony? For immigration purposes, I mean. There won't be any pictures, I'd assume. I'd like to know, because we may be forced into this option. Thank you!