+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if you can't find a guarantor or 4 references ,does it mean you are doomed ?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
?? anyone on the same boat ? can't find 4 ppl to pick up the phone call for you
3 people, not 4. One guarantor and 2 references.
And it seems hard to believe you don't know 1 Canadian citizen and 2 other people who live in Canada, but whatever.
The guarantor can be "skipped", have a look here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor
The references, well, you'll need to ask people you know. Unless you've lived in complete autarky, you've met at least 2 people who know you exist, ask them.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I think they said "or 4 references" because if, in lieu of a guarantor, they choose to use the declaration form signed by a notary, then that form itself asks for 2 additional references, hence bringing the total number of references to 4.

By the way, your references don't have to be Canadian or physically in Canada. The Government website does however advises that if the references don't live in Canada, it's better if you ask someone living in a time zone where they're more likely to pick up the phone if and when the Government calls.

Reactions: Seym
Feb 29, 2024
After spending at least 3 years in Canada, you still can't find a guarantor? Looks like you may need to reflect the way how you treated other people in the past years in Canada...

But you can still pay someone to serve these roles such as a public notary.
Don't be so judgemental man, it's not that easy. I've been driving Uber since PR to save money for education and it's hard to get people to vouch for you. Most born Canadians don't know the process very well. But guarantor and three reference is still tough for someone who's not working in a traditional environment. But yall had this discussion before so I'll leave you to it. But it ain't easy.

Ouluman

Feb 29, 2016
3 people, not 4. One guarantor and 2 references.
And it seems hard to believe you don't know 1 Canadian citizen and 2 other people who live in Canada, but whatever.
The guarantor can be "skipped", have a look here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor
The references, well, you'll need to ask people you know. Unless you've lived in complete autarky, you've met at least 2 people who know you exist, ask them.
it seems if you can provide one guarantor ,then you have to give 4 references instead of 2 .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Don't be so judgemental man, it's not that easy. I've been driving Uber since PR to save money for education and it's hard to get people to vouch for you. Most born Canadians don't know the process very well. But guarantor and three reference is still tough for someone who's not working in a traditional environment. But yall had this discussion before so I'll leave you to it. But it ain't easy.
Do you have a doctor you've seen?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I don't have a family doctor and I haven't been ill every since I came to Canada
It can even be someone working in your go-to-shops, public libraries, a church-goer (or other religious building) you see often, the teacher of your kid, or simply a neighbor or ex-neighbor, or even someone you only know on social media.
Some people you barely know may be OK with being added to your application. Most people are familiar with the passport application process, they had to do it themselves at some point, or are immigrants who are willing to help someone in the same predicament.
Or, as someone said above, you can go with someone not living in Canada. 4 friends from your home country will fit the bill. Passport Canada may wake them up in the middle of the night, but that's it.

Reactions: armoured

Ouluman

Feb 29, 2016
It can even be someone working in your go-to-shops, public libraries, a church-goer (or other religious building) you see often, the teacher of your kid, or simply a neighbor or ex-neighbor, or even someone you only know on social media.
Some people you barely know may be OK with being added to your application. Most people are familiar with the passport application process, they had to do it themselves at some point, or are immigrants who are willing to help someone in the same predicament.
Or, as someone said above, you can go with someone not living in Canada. 4 friends from your home country will fit the bill. Passport Canada may wake them up in the middle of the night, but that's it.
I am not religious , I am single (why you assumed every one is married and has kids ?) ,I dont have go to shops I do online shopping mostly , i have neigbours none of whom is a citizen.

• Haha
Reactions: ishakeshavan

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I am not religious , I am single (why you assumed every one is married and has kids ?) ,I dont have go to shops I do online shopping mostly , i have neigbours none of whom is a citizen.
1) I'm just giving POTENTIAL possibilities. They may or may not apply to you... It's just a way to say that the people you're looking for don't need to be close to you. Acquintances fit the bill.
2) References don't need to have the Canadian citizenship. So your neighbors can do it. My message literally says that you can check with your friends in your home country...

Reactions: upon
Feb 29, 2024
1) I'm just giving POTENTIAL possibilities. They may or may not apply to you... It's just a way to say that the people you're looking for don't need to be close to you. Acquintances fit the bill.
2) References don't need to have the Canadian citizenship. So your neighbors can do it. My message literally says that you can check with your friends in your home country...
Damn, didn't know that was a possibility. So you can list out references in your home country as well? Will the Canadian passport office call them or the Canadian consulate? I can easily give 4 references back home of people who know me since I was a baby lol. It's tough in Canada though.

Feb 29, 2024
It's so dumb man. They got our PR card, they got our eye pictures, our fingerprints and we have to beg to some jerk off to "verify the identity". Like what is this bs. Maybe there are "other" unethical means to get references but most law abiding immigrants don't want to do that. This is discrimination against people who in non-usual employment and introverts. People like @armoured defend it by making excuses but it's a sh**t policy and anyone with two brain cells will know that.

• Haha
Reactions: foodie69