+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If i withdraw from university

kpwaiting

Star Member
Dec 6, 2013
I already got my study permit and got into canada a few days ago, however, for some reasons probably I do not wish to continue at my current canadian university. So if I withdraw from my current university and get out of canada, and after years I got accepted into another university in canada, do I need to apply for a new study permit? And if I do withdraw from my current university and re apply a study permit in the future, is there any negative factors may affect my future study permit application? Thanks a lot.

camani

Oct 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How many years you have on the current study permit u hold? and when are you planning to go back to school in canada.

I will advise maybe you get LOA at a new school before the study permit expired and you have it renew while u studying . i beleieve professionals like lawyers can assist in getting it renew with proper explainantion while u withdraw from school and go out of canada , then back to study again at a different school...coz you wont know wat VO will be thinking if you let it expire and wanting to apply from afresh again

just suggesting hey

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As the proposed changes to the permit rules say that schools will have to report to CIC that students are actively in class and on academic good standing, you would more than likely lose your permit as soon as these changes come in to effect (supposedly this spring) unless you are in school and on academic good standing.

kpwaiting

Star Member
Dec 6, 2013
itstime said:
As the proposed changes to the permit rules say that schools will have to report to CIC that students are actively in class and on academic good standing, you would more than likely lose your permit as soon as these changes come in to effect (supposedly this spring) unless you are in school and on academic good standing.
So if you withdraw from the university now and leave canada, after years coming back for another school, you cannot even use the student visa on your passport even if it has not expired?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kpwaiting said:
So if you withdraw from the university now and leave canada, after years coming back for another school, you cannot even use the student visa on your passport even if it has not expired?
The proposed changes are in the proposed phase for the past more than 1 year. However, it's not a good idea to withdraw now once you are already here. I read about a case, a student entered Canada and changed his college. He did good academically after changing college, didn't take a drop, but went to USA just for couple of days for holidays and when he returned to POE at Canadian Border, the IO sent him back and asked to re-apply for study permit as the one he was holding was for another college. So hope you getting my point. Things are getting bit tough now as people have been exploiting the leverage given.

As far as Study permit and TRV are concerned, if your TRV is multiple entries, you need not apply for another TRV. However, study permit needs to be changed ( in case if you return to home country and plan to re-enter).

You must have a very strong reason to do so otherwise you are jeopardizing your chances.

Wish you luck!

kpwaiting

Star Member
Dec 6, 2013
sabby2612 said:
The proposed changes are in the proposed phase for the past more than 1 year. However, it's not a good idea to withdraw now once you are already here. I read about a case, a student entered Canada and changed his college. He did good academically after changing college, didn't take a drop, but went to USA just for couple of days for holidays and when he returned to POE at Canadian Border, the IO sent him back and asked to re-apply for study permit as the one he was holding was for another college. So hope you getting my point. Things are getting bit tough now as people have been exploiting the leverage given.

As far as Study permit and TRV are concerned, if your TRV is multiple entries, you need not apply for another TRV. However, study permit needs to be changed ( in case if you return to home country and plan to re-enter).

You must have a very strong reason to do so otherwise you are jeopardizing your chances.

Wish you luck!
Thank you for reply. But I think one does not have to report to cic if he transfer to another college in canada. Hence study permit does not have to be changed?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kpwaiting said:
Thank you for reply. But I think one does not have to report to cic if he transfer to another college in canada. Hence study permit does not have to be changed?
Well, once again, in your case, you are leaving the country without joining any college or uni. So you will surely have issues when you re-enter on the same study permit. so better to have new study permit then to be sent back from the airport. Choice is yours.

Cheers!

kpwaiting

Star Member
Dec 6, 2013
sabby2612 said:
Well, once again, in your case, you are leaving the country without joining any college or uni. So you will surely have issues when you re-enter on the same study permit. so better to have new study permit then to be sent back from the airport. Choice is yours.

Cheers!
will there be some negative effects if I apply for a new study permit?