+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I complete a 3 year advanced diploma within 1 year (fast track/advanced standing) will I get full CRS points for it?

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
I already have a 2-year diploma completed from a DLI.
I am eyeing a 3-year diploma from a different DLI that will utilize my partial credits towards an incomplete foreign Bachelor's and/or my 2-year diploma to grant me advanced standing/fast-track allowing me to complete the 3 year advanced diploma within 1 year.
I am already living on a 3-year PGWP, so another PGWP is not possible so it doesn't concern me.

The only thing I would like is the points for "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees. one must be for a program of three or more years" and "Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?"

Note: A study permit isn't needed since I got my PGWP before the exemption announcement.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I already have a 2-year diploma completed from a DLI.
I am eyeing a 3-year diploma from a different DLI that will utilize my partial credits towards an incomplete foreign Bachelor's and/or my 2-year diploma to grant me advanced standing/fast-track allowing me to complete the 3 year advanced diploma within 1 year.
I am already living on a 3-year PGWP, so another PGWP is not possible so it doesn't concern me.

The only thing I would like is the points for "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees. one must be for a program of three or more years" and "Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?"

Note: A study permit isn't needed since I got my PGWP before the exemption announcement.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
When does your work permit expire? You should be able to count two or more.

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
When does your work permit expire? You should be able to count two or more.
What do you mean count two or more?
I want to finish the diploma in 1 year. Don't they just count the credential length (3 year) not how fast you complete it. That is my question.
Work permit expires in May 2026, but that's irrelevant.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What do you mean count two or more?
I want to finish the diploma in 1 year. Don't they just count the credential length (3 year) not how fast you complete it. That is my question.
Work permit expires in May 2026, but that's irrelevant.
You said you wanted to count two or more degrees/diplomas. isn’t that why you are taking a 3 year diploma in 1 year. So yes, you should be able to count it. When you work permit expires is relevant but you are okay.

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
You said you wanted to count two or more degrees/diplomas. isn’t that why you are taking a 3 year diploma in 1 year. So yes, you should be able to count it. When you work permit expires is relevant but you are okay.
Ah I see.
My concern is that even if I complete the 3 year diploma in just 1 year, will they consider it a 3 year diploma?
Note I may receive advanced standing based on my 2-year diploma's credits, but that shouldn't nullify the 2 year diploma I graduated from I believe as it is from a different school. I also have some foreign education credits they may transfer towards the 3 year diploma

So it should be dependent on the length of the program, not how fast I complete it right?
I read that IRCC has residency requirements for education like I must study 8 months fulltime in Canada or do 50% of the program in person or something like that. Does that apply if its just a 1 year fast track of a 3 year diploma?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ah I see.
My concern is that even if I complete the 3 year diploma in just 1 year, will they consider it a 3 year diploma?
Note I may receive advanced standing based on my 2-year diploma's credits, but that shouldn't nullify the 2 year diploma I graduated from I believe as it is from a different school. I also have some foreign education credits they may transfer towards the 3 year diploma

So it should be dependent on the length of the program, not how fast I complete it right?
I read that IRCC has residency requirements for education like I must study 8 months fulltime in Canada or do 50% of the program in person or something like that. Does that apply if its just a 1 year fast track of a 3 year diploma?
Depends how the college/university confers the diploma. If you have a 3 year diploma given and 1 year diploma then you are fine. Doesn’t matter if you complete in 1 year and assume you can transfer all the credits. Don’t know what you are referring to about 8 months full time.

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
Depends how the college/university confers the diploma. If you have a 3 year diploma given and 1 year diploma then you are fine. Doesn’t matter if you complete in 1 year and assume you can transfer all the credits. Don’t know what you are referring to about 8 months full time.
I have a 2-year diploma right now. Graduated in April 2023.

I want to complete another 3-year diploma in 1 year if the college recognizes my 2-year diploma to give me advanced standing in the program.

So when I graduate, I would have earned a 3-year diploma by doing 2 semesters.
This is the diploma I am eyeing https://www.georgebrown.ca/programs/computer-systems-technology-program-t147
This is the one I graduated with already: https://www.georgiancollege.ca/academics/programs/computer-systems-technician-networking/

What I was referring to by the 8 months full time is the crs calculator's disclaimers:

4) What is your level of education?
Enter the highest level of education for which you:
  • earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate or
  • had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if you did your study outside Canada. (ECAs must be from an approved agency, in the last five years)
Note: a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate must either have been earned at an accredited Canadian university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute in Canada. Distance learning counts for education points, but not for bonus points in your profile or application.

4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?
Note: to answer yes:
  • English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022
  • you had to have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022

I highlighted in red what is worrying me.
Thank you for all your help, you seem to know your stuff.

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
I may be overthinking all this, but since it will cost me a lot of time and money to go down this route, I want to be absolutely sure it will be counted for CRS points and im not left in the dust.

I will only have a 437 score in May 2024) (2 year diploma and 1 year skilled canada work experience in May), 28 years old in march 2024, IELTS maxed,
however if I get this 3 year diploma and can count it as part of my "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees. one must be for a program of three or more years" and "Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?" of three years
I will be at 494 which is so good.

I do work in a STEM noc 21222 field, but even the draws for that have only gone down to 481 and only 2 draws. Im also worried they might change the cateogries for this year.
No way im getting an invite for that with 437.
Also I dont have a university degree but am working in a teer 1 noc, hope that doesn't mean anything as long as I can show I am doing the job duties. The noc does mention a college diploma, not just degrees, so hope thats fine.

Note I have been extremely depressed and suicidal about this so this is my last bet and I hope it can pay off.

Jan 17, 2024
Completing a 3-year advanced diploma in just 1 year is impressive! While the fast track is a great accomplishment, CRS points are typically awarded based on the duration of the completed program, not the time taken. It's advisable to check with relevant immigration authorities for precise information on globalfist points allocation. Best of luck on your academic journey.

kevinbinu

Jan 17, 2024
I may be overthinking all this, but since it will cost me a lot of time and money to go down this route, I want to be absolutely sure it will be counted for CRS points and im not left in the dust.

I will only have a 437 score in May 2024) (2 year diploma and 1 year skilled canada work experience in May), 28 years old in march 2024, IELTS maxed,
however if I get this 3 year diploma and can count it as part of my "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees. one must be for a program of three or more years" and "Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?" of three years
I will be at 494 which is so good.

I do work in a STEM noc 21222 field, but even the draws for that have only gone down to 481 and only 2 draws. Im also worried they might change the cateogries for this year.
No way im getting an invite for that with 437.
Also I dont have a university degree but am working in a teer 1 noc, hope that doesn't mean anything as long as I can show I am doing the job duties. The noc does mention a college diploma, not just degrees, so hope thats fine.

Note I have been extremely depressed and suicidal about this so this is my last bet and I hope it can pay off.
I don't think it works that way. If you want to select "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees", one of them should be 3 years or more. But I am not an expert, its better to contact a good immigration lawyer or look for pnp options

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
I don't think it works that way. If you want to select "two or more certificates diplomas or degrees", one of them should be 3 years or more. But I am not an expert, its better to contact a good immigration lawyer or look for pnp options
Well one of them WILL be 3 years or more, just done in a shorter time period of 1 year.
So I don't understand why it won't count along with my 2 year diploma

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
Completing a 3-year advanced diploma in just 1 year is impressive! While the fast track is a great accomplishment, CRS points are typically awarded based on the duration of the completed program, not the time taken. It's advisable to check with relevant immigration authorities for precise information on globalfist points allocation. Best of luck on your academic journey.
So you are confirming what I am asking about.
Completing a 3 year program...even if it's done in a year, will count as a 3 year diploma since that is what it is and I'll get CRS points for it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So you are confirming what I am asking about.
Completing a 3 year program...even if it's done in a year, will count as a 3 year diploma since that is what it is and I'll get CRS points for it.
Do I understand that you want to get credit for both the two year diploma already completed AND the three year diploma (that you can complete in one year because of the partial credits etc from the two year diploma)?

If so I think they may consider that double counting and only give you credit for the three year program, but not both.

If critical, pay for an expert's advice.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

marksthrow

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
Do I understand that you want to get credit for both the two year diploma already completed AND the three year diploma (that you can complete in one year because of the partial credits etc from the two year diploma)?

If so I think they may consider that double counting and only give you credit for the three year program, but not both.

If critical, pay for an expert's advice.
Yes, this is what worries me. Although I should add I do have 2 years worth of credit towards a bachelor's I didn't complete (WES Evaluated), so I could use that as support.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, this is what worries me. Although I should add I do have 2 years worth of credit towards a bachelor's I didn't complete (WES Evaluated), so I could use that as support.
Unless you finished the degree it won’t be considered. Think you will run into problems with your plan. You are essentially double dipping and will likely only get points for the one 3 year degree. It would not be fair to allow you to use 2 years of credits as both a degree and as the first 2 years of a second degree. If you were only using a few transfer credits towards the 3 year degree it may be possible but given your situation I think you will run into issues. Agree you should pay for a consultation with an immigration lawyer (not a consultant). Would also suggest sending a webform to IRCC to get a written response although people can get incorrect information from IRCC customer service.

Reactions: armoured