+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if I appply to student visa to conduct post graduation,

gsk123

May 8, 2018
Sri Lanka
What are most affordable universities in Ottawa to do a post garaduation ?
Can i know about my spouse working rights (hours per week ) ?
can spouse apply to White color jobs instead of odd jobs ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are 2 universities in Ottawa: Ottawa university and Carleton university you can look them up. If your wife is allowed to accompany you she will be on an open work permit. She can get whatever job she wants. Not all spouses are approved to come to Canada while their spouse are studying.

gsk123

May 8, 2018
Sri Lanka
Thanks for your information. We want to settle in Canada after post graduate work permit. Do you know any course help us to take spouse visa? My husband is a ERP software engineer with six years’ experience.

And also I want to know how I can apply PR after my post graduate?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You apply for PR like everyone else after or during pgwp. Look at the various express entry programs.

Whether your spouse gets a visa is based on a a few things but a large portion of it is whether you can afford to have your family here if you can't find employment. I do feel that the chances are always better if the spouse is a masters or phd student and if they also have the finances to support a family in Canada. There are spouses that have accompanied their spouses with other degrees. The most important thing is that the degree make sense based on previous education and will lead to career advancement. Also needs to make sense for the family. If one spouse wants to leave a stable lucrative job so that the other can pursue a degree that could likely pursued at home and may not lead to lots of career opportunities it would not make sense for the other spouse to leave their good job and career. CIC is obviously aware the this is a vehicle for immigration.

Wilson78

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Hello All,

I have a question about post graduation work permit (PGWP) .
I'm planning to pursue a Masters program during next year .
What I could see was , most of these programs that I'm looking for are of duration from 16-20 months .

My question is - If I do such a Masters program, then can I expect a 3 year PGWP after my studies there ?

I also would like to take my family during the studies . In such a case , can I expect my child to get free education in Canada ?

How costly would be kid's ( 3rd standard) education in case if I have to pay by myself ?.

Please help me , thank you to all

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I have a question about post graduation work permit (PGWP) .
I'm planning to pursue a Masters program during next year .
What I could see was , most of these programs that I'm looking for are of duration from 16-20 months .

My question is - If I do such a Masters program, then can I expect a 3 year PGWP after my studies there ?

I also would like to take my family during the studies . In such a case , can I expect my child to get free education in Canada ?

How costly would be kid's ( 3rd standard) education in case if I have to pay by myself ?.

Please help me , thank you to all
If you get admitted to one of those masters programs yes you will get a 3 year PGWP. It is explained in detail in the PGWP information page.

You can apply for your family to accompany you during your education. It is not guaranteed that they will be approved. You will not be required to pay for your child's education if you remain a student. Your spouse (and family) can get a visa when you get your PGWP once you have a job in the NOC 0, A or B category and 3 pay periods.

Reactions: Wilson78

Wilson78

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
If you get admitted to one of those masters programs yes you will get a 3 year PGWP. It is explained in detail in the PGWP information page.

You can apply for your family to accompany you during your education. It is not guaranteed that they will be approved. You will not be required to pay for your child's education if you remain a student. Your spouse (and family) can get a visa when you get your PGWP once you have a job in the NOC 0, A or B category and 3 pay periods.
Thank you canuck78 for the reply.

I will check the PGWP page for more details .

May I ask you the reason why you stated that there is no guarantee about the family visa approval ?.
As I understand ,Canada is one country which always has better policies for family re-unification when it comes to spousal visa .
Provided that you can show to the authorities that you have enough funds to support the family while you are a student .
Could you please let me know if there is anything that we should take to avoid spousal visa refusals ?.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you canuck78 for the reply.

I will check the PGWP page for more details .

May I ask you the reason why you stated that there is no guarantee about the family visa approval ?.
As I understand ,Canada is one country which always has better policies for family re-unification when it comes to spousal visa .
Provided that you can show to the authorities that you have enough funds to support the family while you are a student .
Could you please let me know if there is anything that we should take to avoid spousal visa refusals ?.

Thanks
Spousal visas and visas for children are not guaranteed for international students. International students don't pay taxes and often accompanying spouse don't work so they would be getting free education and, depending on the province, free healthcare. Would encourage too many families to study in order for their children to live and study in Canada. If a spouse arrives on a work permit the family can accompany. Showing enough funds to support your family will surely help. In my opinion, seeking advanced degrees like masters and PhDs also seem to help.