+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ielts

Santhu7878

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
I am international student in canada. I dont know whats the point writing ielts again for PR. General Ielts for usage of english in daily life. But we are already here in canada for past 2 years and also studying here. Without knowing english, how can we are studying here?

diodet

Feb 1, 2019
I understand your frustration but if you look at the bigger picture what's another two hundred dollars and a day's effort if you want to become a permanent resident. Besides IELTS is only valid for two years because they believe two years is sufficient time to improve/ lose your proficiency if you don't practice enough. Hustle hard my friend.

Rawee

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
NOC Code......
I am international student in canada. I dont know whats the point writing ielts again for PR. General Ielts for usage of english in daily life. But we are already here in canada for past 2 years and also studying here. Without knowing english, how can we are studying here?
I dont know about others living in Canada.But you should definitely be giving Ielts my friend.

Reactions: rajapanesar

Santhu7878

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
@journey21

Hey, i got 8 bands in general ielts and i am working as an application developer in canada. This is the general question which i have heard from so many international students. From the 10 sentences, you cannot decide my english man...

Santhu7878

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Thought you said you are an international student.
No. I have completed my studies. I posted this thread for behalf of my friends who are still struggling to meet the score.

Also, what is the best way to apply for PR who have already 5 years of experience back home and also working NOC A level job here for past three months.

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Doubting the system doesnt work mate, the IRCC are fully aware of what is needed for someone to live, settle and blend with the Canadian society and that is:
1. Proficient in English
2. Decent educational background
3. Relevant work experience
4. Enough funding to sustain an individual or a family until finding a job and settling down.
So no matter how an individual thinks he/she could speak English, the Canadian government has no means of evaluating that unless they ask for an official examination conducted by a trusted institution.

Good luck

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
No. I have completed my studies. I posted this thread for behalf of my friends who are still struggling to meet the score.

Also, what is the best way to apply for PR who have already 5 years of experience back home and also working NOC A level job here for past three months.
I see.

To answer your question, a Master's degree + CLB 10 in IELTS, should easily give you 480+

Skitles

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
With your logic, try to think of it in a positive way: may be you should consider yourself to be in advantage since you have constant practice with daily usage.
Wouldn't it be nice for you or your friends to take the test so that you can achieve a higher score comparing with others who are not in English speaking countries and do not have constant practice?

Also, you would be surprised that there are quite a large number of people who cannot speak good English even living in English speaking countries for a number of years.

Reactions: journey21

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
With your logic, try to think of it in a positive way: may be you should consider yourself to be in advantage since you have constant practice with daily usage.
Wouldn't it be nice for you or your friends to take the test so that you can achieve a higher score comparing with others who are not in English speaking countries and do not have constant practice?

Also, you would be surprised that there are quite a large number of people who cannot speak good English even living in English speaking countries for a number of years.
IELTS was never a caliber of how well you could speak English, the highest IELTS scores in history of the British council have been from countries where English is not even the second language. IELTS is how well you know English in general as in writing, speaking, reading and listening and being a good speaker with an awesome accent doesnt by itself make you qualified to get a high score in the IELTS. And anyone who has been living in an English speaking country and speaking it at work or at school or with friends, knows very well that this English is informal and cant be used as a standard to what the IELTS english is.

Skitles

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
IELTS was never a caliber of how well you could speak English, the highest IELTS scores in history of the British council have been from countries where English is not even the second language. IELTS is how well you know English in general as in writing, speaking, reading and listening and being a good speaker with an awesome accent doesnt by itself make you qualified to get a high score in the IELTS. And anyone who has been living in an English speaking country and speaking it at work or at school or with friends, knows very well that this English is informal and cant be used as a standard to what the IELTS english is.
Yes, I agree to what you said. Speaking is just one sub-part of the whole test. I've never been living in an English speaking country, but just had experience working with some of those who did stay there for a number of years for their degree, and found that their spoken English was horrible when we had to deal with guests who could only speak English. That's why I can only speak from my experience concerning the speaking part.

Also, in the government's perspective, living in an English speaking country does not necessary mean a person has proficient English skills. If they have the power to choose, why not choose the best ones with good skills right? One way to do so is to test their skills through some standardized test to play safe. While I hate having to take those tests myself, I totally would have do so if I were the government.

And anyone who has been living in an English speaking country and speaking it at work or at school or with friends, knows very well that this English is informal and cant be used as a standard to what the IELTS english is.
May I ask what kind of informal English are you referring to in the above statement that cannot be used in IELTS? (I have never been living in an English speaking country so I think the differentiation between formal and informal English is a bit blurry to me and I can't really tell the difference.)

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Yes, I agree to what you said. Speaking is just one sub-part of the whole test. I've never been living in an English speaking country, but just had experience working with some of those who did stay there for a number of years for their degree, and found that their spoken English was horrible when we had to deal with guests who could only speak English. That's why I can only speak from my experience concerning the speaking part.

Also, in the government's perspective, living in an English speaking country does not necessary mean a person has proficient English skills. If they have the power to choose, why not choose the best ones with good skills right? One way to do so is to test their skills through some standardized test to play safe. While I hate having to take those tests myself, I totally would have do so if I were the government.

May I ask what kind of informal English are you referring to in the above statement that cannot be used in IELTS? (I have never been living in an English speaking country so I think the differentiation between formal and informal English is a bit blurry to me and I can't really tell the difference.)
The person is referring to 'colloquial', which wont work well at least in the writing section

Reactions: Skitles

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019

What i meant by informal is using slang words and contractions rather than proper vocabulary

Reactions: Skitles