+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS VS CELPIP

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
Hi Guys , Can any one clear my confusion on which language proficiency test to give between IELTS and CELPIP. As per the research CELPIP is good for IT folks as it is computer based completely however not much study material available.

Please guide

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
CELPIP is only offered in Canada and UAE. IELTS is available worldwide.

For people who previously took computer-based TOEFL, it's much easier to adapt to CELPIP because the format are pretty much the same. I took two TOEFL before, so felt that CELPIP is easier.

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
CELPIP is only offered in Canada and UAE. IELTS is available worldwide.

For people who previously took computer-based TOEFL, it's much easier to adapt to CELPIP because the format are pretty much the same. I took two TOEFL before, so felt that CELPIP is easier.
Thank you for response !
this is my 1st time for such exams , will there be any study material available or books which i need to use for preparation ? I have also heard that for listening they do not give good scores and you need to re apply is it true ?

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
Thank you for response !
this is my 1st time for such exams , will there be any study material available or books which i need to use for preparation ? I have also heard that for listening they do not give good scores and you need to re apply is it true ?
I think Paragon Testing Enterprises, the administrator of CELPIP, do offer some test prep materials. They also have one free online sample test, though I think it's difficulty is slightly lower than real exam. There are also YouTube videos helping you prep for writing and speaking sections.

Regarding listening, I don't think they would intentionally suppress your score. Actually, all questions in listening and reading are multiple choice questions, and therefore there is no subjectivity in grading.

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
I got listening 12 reading 12 speaking 10 writing 9 in my first (and only) CELPIP attempt. I felt that these scores are generally consistent with my expectations, though I expect my writing score to be at least 10. I didn't elect to regrade my writing because 9 is enough for my CRS points.

Reactions: aamir_s1986

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
I got listening 12 reading 12 speaking 10 writing 9 in my first (and only) CELPIP attempt. I felt that these scores are generally consistent with my expectations, though I expect my writing score to be at least 10. I didn't elect to regrade my writing because 9 is enough for my CRS points.
Hello, You have boost my hopes on the exam, did you also referred youtube videos and paragon sample test for preparations. Please let me know in case of anything else to start with.
Thanks

ielts_learn

Jan 5, 2018
Hi Andyding13,

Good news!

Your post boosted me. I am planning to attend CELPIP next month. Please share how did you prepared, tips and any materials. That helps a lot!

Thanks

ajeet.ims

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Canada
Do not take CELPIP if you are not a native speaker. I had a very unfortunate experience with CELPIP. In both of my attempts, I scored 10+ in LRW however for speaking I got only 6. My speaking did not go well in first attempt and I was expecting 8 but got 6, that's still fine. However I did much better in my second speaking attempt and was confident to get a 9, but unfortunately they gave me 6 again. This was completely shocking to me. I realized that CELPIP speaking is a lot easier for native speakers but very difficulty for people from countries other than US/Canada. I am preparing for IELTS now and hope to score better than CELPIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: kamran.shekh

ajeet.ims

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Canada
Hey guys...got my IELTS result today and couldn't resist posting.

CELPIP 1st Attempt - L10 R8 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change
CELPIP 2nd Attempt - L8 R10 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change

IELTS 1st Attempt - L7.5 R9 W7 S7.5

As I said in my previous posts too, don't waste your money. Go for IELTS!!

Last edited:
Reactions: richow85

alice17

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Victoria
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2018
Hi!
That's a great score! Do you mind sharing some tips or emailing me some materials you used? I am hoping to write mine next month.

alice17

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Victoria
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2018
How did you study for IELTS?
Hey guys...got my IELTS result today and couldn't resist posting.

CELPIP 1st Attempt - L10 R8 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change
CELPIP 2nd Attempt - L8 R10 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change

IELTS 1st Attempt - L7.5 R9 W7 S7.5

As I said in my previous posts too, don't waste your money. Go for IELTS!!