+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS test if I graduated from US University? Also grow up in US.

perring

Jan 30, 2009
Hi, I know this question has been asked a million time and I've done searches on here. I just want to make sure since I basically grew up in the US.

I am Vietnamese, but immigrated to the US at 10 years old. I started school in the US since fifth grade. Of course, I've been in school and graduated (with a BS degree) from a University in California. I believe my English is good. Gosh, if it was not, I would not have survived one quarter of university courses at the University of California system.

Also, I've been working in corporate America for about 14 plus years ever since I graduated; and of course, everyone speaks English here.

I am claiming maximum points for the language category. I will write to CIC explaining the reasons for my English proficiency.

Given the info above, do you think I still have to take that IELTS General Test? It would be silly if I have to! :)

Thank you.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well having read earlier threads on this forum I know that some applicants from Nigeria, Ghana did not have to submit any IELTS test results.

I might be wrong, but I know some NAIJA fellows did not have to. I also know that you will have to submit a written proof of your English Proficiency irrespective of the fact that you are a resident of - and work in an English speaking country.

perring

Jan 30, 2009
BobbyB said:
Well having read earlier threads on this forum I know that applicants from Nigeria, Ghana did not have to submit any IELTS test results.

I might be wrong, but I know some NAIJA fellows did not have to. I also know that you will have to submit a written proof irrespective of the fact that you are resident of - and work in an English speaking country.
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I did some more searches and it seemed that if you grow up and work in an English speaking country (e.g. USA, UK, etc...), then you will "more likely" not have to deal with the pesky IELTS test.

BobbyB, I know that if one does not supply the IELTS test score, one has to submit a written proof as it's stated on the application checklist.

As for me, I will NOT take that IELTS test and will apply with a written proof.

Hope this help someone. Please chime in if you can help.

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
Perring

personally I think you'll be OK

but in a general sense, growing up in an English speaking country does not automatically qualify you for top score in English

I come from UK and I know for a fact that the IELTS test would bamboozle a large proportion of the country who have minimal education (leave school at 16) and do little more than watch soap operas and read the Sun newspaper (www.thesun.co.uk)

OK, they'll get a score, but would not necessarily achieve 7 or above