+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ielts task 2writing

nat.abramovich

Apr 18, 2019
is Gt wiring task 2 is easier than academic ? I mean at last are the topics in gt consider d easier than the ones in academic . ? I am getting tired of 6.5 for writing lol

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
is Gt wiring task 2 is easier than academic ? I mean at last are the topics in gt consider d easier than the ones in academic . ? I am getting tired of 6.5 for writing lol
I took IELTS Academic and General Training modules in a span of few months apart. And surprisingly, my scores in both modules for writing vary significantly! Most would tell that Task 2 is the same on both tests.

I would say, GT task 2 has easier and more practical topics as compared to Academic- but the grading criteria are the same for Task 2.

Did you take the academic version?

nat.abramovich

Apr 18, 2019
I took IELTS Academic and General Training modules in a span of few months apart. And surprisingly, my scores in both modules for writing vary significantly! Most would tell that Task 2 is the same on both tests.

I would say, GT task 2 has easier and more practical topics as compared to Academic- but the grading criteria are the same for Task 2.

Did you take the academic version?
Yes brotha, academic 6 ,then what’s the chances to get GT 7 , from ur experience ? What u think

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Yes brotha, academic 6 ,then what’s the chances to get GT 7 , from ur experience ? What u think

First, I took Ielts Academic, and I got 6.5 in writing. My topic for task 2 was a little bit more complicated. I only needed an overall score of 7, so it worked for me.

However, for EE profile, I would need at least a 7 to get higher points so I practiced and combined tips from various online resources. Surprisingly, I got an 8.5. That’s a very big jump from my previous attempt.

nat.abramovich

Apr 18, 2019
First, I took Ielts Academic, and I got 6.5 in writing. My topic for task 2 was a little bit more complicated. I only needed an overall score of 7, so it worked for me.

However, for EE profile, I would need at least a 7 to get higher points so I practiced and combined tips from various online resources. Surprisingly, I got an 8.5. That’s a very big jump from my previous attempt.
Hoolly , can u be my teacher lol ??? What’s the secret ?

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
You have to determine what’s lacking in your essays, and work from there.

I am not an Ielts teacher or an English major, but I could try to assist you so you could improve your writing. I think it is about focusing on the criteria - on what the examiners are looking for.

You may post your sample essay here, and I’ll try my best to help you figure out what’s missing to improve your score. :)

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
You have to determine what’s lacking in your essays, and work from there.

I am not an Ielts teacher or an English major, but I could try to assist you so you could improve your writing. I think it is about focusing on the criteria - on what the examiners are looking for.

You may post your sample essay here, and I’ll try my best to help you figure out what’s missing to improve your score. :)
Hi, can you evaluate my writing?

Question: some people say that parents should encourage their children to take part in organized group activities in their free time. Others say that it is important for children to learn how to occupy themselves on their own.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is commonly believed that guardians should motivate their kids to actively participate in team-building activities in their spare time, however, some people oppose this view by claiming that minor should find a way of occupying themselves on their own. In my opinion, organizing group building activities is more beneficial for children as they developed the skill of socializing and cooperation.

On the one hand, organized group activities help adolescent to socialize with other people in their intermediate vicinity by doing that they learn how to interact with people in their society. To illustrate this, one can organize a picnic among families which eventually give children enough time to get familiar with their peer. As a result, minor learn various group building activities such as time management, discipline, competing with siblings and coping up with pressure. Besides this, children learn right kind of attitude from being in a group and they can see situation from other’s perspectives.

On the other hand, junior should be independent in choosing activity in their free time. This give them confidence and freedom of thought. Children learn to take up challenges and responsibilities, however, there is a possibility that some kids take up a wrong route and ended up being in unavoidable circumstances. For example, If given the freedom of choice, the majority of young one in India prefer to spend their off time on the internet, by doing this, they will eventually, detach themselves from their immediate social circle. Children can be given freedom of thought but adult supervision is necessary that they do not take the wrong path.

To conclude, in my opinion, I think that organizing team building activities for young one in their leisure time is more favorable as it improves their socializing and cooperation skill than allowing them independently to chose on their own. Children are the future of the society their nurturing can not be ignored.

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hi, can you evaluate my writing?

Question: some people say that parents should encourage their children to take part in organized group activities in their free time. Others say that it is important for children to learn how to occupy themselves on their own.

It is commonly believed that guardians should motivate their kids to actively participate in team-building activities in their spare time, however, some people oppose this view by claiming that minor should find a way of occupying themselves on their own. In my opinion, organizing group building activities is more beneficial for children as they developed the skill of socializing and cooperation.

On the one hand, organized group activities help adolescent to socialize with other people in their intermediate vicinity by doing that they learn how to interact with people in their society. To illustrate this, one can organize a picnic among families which eventually give children enough time to get familiar with their peer. As a result, minor learn various group building activities such as time management, discipline, competing with siblings and coping up with pressure. Besides this, children learn right kind of attitude from being in a group and they can see situation from other’s perspectives.

On the other hand, junior should be independent in choosing activity in their free time. This give them confidence and freedom of thought. Children learn to take up challenges and responsibilities, however, there is a possibility that some kids take up a wrong route and ended up being in unavoidable circumstances. For example, If given the freedom of choice, the majority of young one in India prefer to spend their off time on the internet, by doing this, they will eventually, detach themselves from their immediate social circle. Children can be given freedom of thought but adult supervision is necessary that they do not take the wrong path.

To conclude, in my opinion, I think that organizing team building activities for young one in their leisure time is more favorable as it improves their socializing and cooperation skill than allowing them independently to chose on their own. Children are the future of the society their nurturing can not be ignored.

Hi Milan,

I hope you would take my feedback positively to improve your score. When my wife and I were practicing for our exams, we use the criteria used by IELTS examiners to grade our work. So, I will use them as well to mark yours. This is just my friendly assessment and I did not take any training on grading ielts essays.

Overall: 6.5

Task Achievement: 6

Note: You are able to fully address all parts of the task – however, some ideas were underdeveloped, and this is keeping you from getting a higher band. For example, in paragraph 2, you mentioned several ideas that children could develop – and these made your paragraph so broad – there are ideas that were not fully discussed such as time management, discipline. I feel like you are beating around the bush, and you were not able to fully develop them. I suggest focusing on one or two things like:

“Organizing group activities is a good avenue for children to interact with their peers to develop their ability to share and cope up with pressure.”

(1) ability to share, and (2) cope up with pressure
Then you can expound this topic sentence by saying that kids normally have the tendency to be self-centered, etc. Provide examples based on your experience - e.g. how you raised your kid, or your niece/nephew

Focus on 1 or 2 reasons, then provide examples that will support your reasons. By doing this, you can achieve at least a band 7 or probably 8 on this part, and this will bump up your score! You just need one more 7 to get an overall 7! This is easy to achieve if you try to follow this advice. This is what I did on my exam. I just focused on 2 reasons, and developed my essay based on that.

Cohesion and Coherence: 7

Good organization of paragraphs, but the sequencing of ideas prevents you from getting a higher band (again, try to state your ideas in a progressive and a clearer pattern - see previous comment).

Additional Comment: In this type of question (discuss both views and provide your opinion), I would start discussing my less preferred option; then I will end the paragraph by saying that this option is good but the other option is way more important. This way, you ended the second paragraph strong, and would be able to manage all aspects of cohesion well (band 8).

Lexical Resource: 7

There is adequate range of vocabulary, however, some terms were not used correctly. Examples:
Kids - not equal to adolescents / junior ?! (not so clear); Use pronouns such as they, or use these kids, these children
Group activities – not equal to group building activities (in my opinion)

Grammatical Range and Accuracy: 6

There is a good mix of sentence types (simple, compound, complex), but there are obvious grammatical errors including subject-verb agreement, improper use of commas, dangling modifiers in the essay.

All the best to you, mate!

Reactions: Milan Desai

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi Milan,

I hope you would take my feedback positively to improve your score. When my wife and I were practicing for our exams, we use the criteria used by IELTS examiners to grade our work. So, I will use them as well to mark yours. This is just my friendly assessment and I did not take any training on grading ielts essays.

Overall: 6.5

Task Achievement: 6

Note: You are able to fully address all parts of the task – however, some ideas were underdeveloped, and this is keeping you from getting a higher band. For example, in paragraph 2, you mentioned several ideas that children could develop – and these made your paragraph so broad – there are ideas that were not fully discussed such as time management, discipline. I feel like you are beating around the bush, and you were not able to fully develop them. I suggest focusing on one or two things like:

“Organizing group activities is a good avenue for children to interact with their peers to develop their ability to share and cope up with pressure.”

(1) ability to share, and (2) cope up with pressure
Then you can expound this topic sentence by saying that kids normally have the tendency to be self-centered, etc. Provide examples based on your experience - e.g. how you raised your kid, or your niece/nephew

Focus on 1 or 2 reasons, then provide examples that will support your reasons. By doing this, you can achieve at least a band 7 or probably 8 on this part, and this will bump up your score! You just need one more 7 to get an overall 7! This is easy to achieve if you try to follow this advice. This is what I did on my exam. I just focused on 2 reasons, and developed my essay based on that.

Cohesion and Coherence: 7

Good organization of paragraphs, but the sequencing of ideas prevents you from getting a higher band (again, try to state your ideas in a progressive and a clearer pattern - see previous comment).

Additional Comment: In this type of question (discuss both views and provide your opinion), I would start discussing my less preferred option; then I will end the paragraph by saying that this option is good but the other option is way more important. This way, you ended the second paragraph strong, and would be able to manage all aspects of cohesion well (band 8).

Lexical Resource: 7

There is adequate range of vocabulary, however, some terms were not used correctly. Examples:
Kids - not equal to adolescents / junior ?! (not so clear); Use pronouns such as they, or use these kids, these children
Group activities – not equal to group building activities (in my opinion)

Grammatical Range and Accuracy: 6

There is a good mix of sentence types (simple, compound, complex), but there are obvious grammatical errors including subject-verb agreement, improper use of commas, dangling modifiers in the essay.

All the best to you, mate!
Thank you mate, appreciate your kindness and I will take all these in practice next time :)

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
No problem! :) Good luck!
@eept kindly check my attempt : #2

Question: Some people think that young people should follow older people’s examples while others think that it good for young people to challenge older people’s opinions and thoughts.

It commonly believed that young citizens should follow footpaths of grey people while approaching a life, however, many sections of society argue that the young one should stand against the old generation's opinion and views. In my opinion, I completely agree with the notion that teenagers should listen to advise and viewpoint of pensioners towards making life progress.

On the one hand, retirees are full of life experience as life has taught them the practicality of facing life. They are considered to be the best teacher in life. Not only one can learn from their real-life experiences but also put it into an effective life and achieve great success specifically during a troublesome time in the real world. For example, a recent study in India state that 65% of young adult prefer to take advice from one of the senior in family while planning for their retirement finance and healthcare. Furthermore, a youngster would be accepted in a society only if they opt for a suitable career option which elder people have already selected for ages.

On the other hand, there are valid reasons for opposing the view of older people as time has transformed completely and challenging old norms and conditions as a better choice. To put it into words, in the past, people believed that men and women should get married as a teenager, however, this is simply impractical and unacceptable for the modern couples. This is because most young citizen are either busy in pursuing their career or building up their career in their early days. Staring a family and having kids at a young age will hamper their potential ambition and become less competitive in society.

To conclude, I believe that both views have their merits, but in my view-point, youth should consult their elder while taking various life decisions as they have ample of life experience which can make their life easier however there are some choices that youngster should that independently without relying on elders.