+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Speaking

123fa

Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am applying for express entry. I gave my IELTS and scored high bands in Reading, Listening and Writing but I got a 6.5 in the speaking section. I am losing out on the clb 9 points just by 0.5 band. I have a speech impediment and I had informed the testing authority well in advance but on the day of the exam no one seemed to know about it. I requested one of the staff present there to inform the examiner. I got a little extra time but I feel the examiner did not really consider my impediment while doing the assessment.

My concern is that fluency and pronunciation make half the weight of the total score and people with speech impediments are weak in these areas. I wrote to the testing authority and they told me that they will not change their assessment methodology for people with impediments. In fact they asked me to contact the Canadian immigration office and inform them about my situation.

Do you think it will be helpful to write to the Candadian immigration office? Will informing them about my speech impediment at this stage in any way negatively affect my application?

Reactions: div592

div592

Aug 6, 2018
Hi,

I faced the same issue last month. I got a 9 in listening and reading, a 7 in writing and a mere 6 in the speaking section. On the test day, the examiner was not aware of my stuttering condition and i doubt that it was sincerely taken into consideration while marking.

What was the next step you took after this?