+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(IELTS Results)Fiance received a 5.5 band for reading but got a 7 overall band score

DainyaLatoya

Apr 28, 2019
My Finacé sat the IELTS exam last week and received 8.0 for speaking, 5.5 for reading, 6.5 for writing, and 7.5 for listening. He was hoping to get all the paperwork together to start the PR process but wants to know if an overall band of 7.0 with a low score for his reading will impact his chances. He's currently here in Canada on a work permit and I'm on a study permit. He has a job as a software developer for over 6 months now. As my common-law partner, we are planning to do this process(PR) together. I recently completed my Graduate Diploma in Information Security and his mother who lives in Toronto will be receiving her PR within the next 3-4 months or so.

I'm sharing all this information because I heard these are factors that can be used to get a better score to be entered into the pool. Our concern is with regards to the low score he received for reading. If I need to share more information to help with any suggestions, please let me.

Any help/suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
He needs a CLB 7 to be eligible unless he is in a NOC B job and is applying under the CEC. Even if he is eligible under the CEC, he's going to get a very low score. A 5.5 makes him ineligible for a NOC 0,A job (software developer is NOC A).

If you are applying under Express Entry, then he has to take the exam again.

hsbmovic

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
My Finacé sat the IELTS exam last week and received 8.0 for speaking, 5.5 for reading, 6.5 for writing, and 7.5 for listening. He was hoping to get all the paperwork together to start the PR process but wants to know if an overall band of 7.0 with a low score for his reading will impact his chances. He's currently here in Canada on a work permit and I'm on a study permit. He has a job as a software developer for over 6 months now. As my common-law partner, we are planning to do this process(PR) together. I recently completed my Graduate Diploma in Information Security and his mother who lives in Toronto will be receiving her PR within the next 3-4 months or so.

I'm sharing all this information because I heard these are factors that can be used to get a better score to be entered into the pool. Our concern is with regards to the low score he received for reading. If I need to share more information to help with any suggestions, please let me.

Any help/suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
give ielts again, and on the experience gained and studies check your CRS score from the calculator. The score should be above 460, otherwise chances are less